Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya Guys,

I was wondering what cam setup would be good for a small single for road/circuit/track racing, i know the bigger 272 etc are good for dyno numbers and drag racing but what about mid range grunt.

I was thinking of using a HKS 264/264 combo.

:dunno:

·
Registered
531 Posts
Small turbo stock cams, I have tried 264 cams but prefer stock power band for most tracks.

·
Member Thingy
1,120 Posts
Though I still advocate stock cams on a car setup for this type driving, even with a small single I begin to see power and torque drop off rapidly over 6000 rpms. An average small single turbo will produce relatively similar results. This doesn't mean a change is needed in duration, profile, etc. to make up for this in the high end. Driving a car like the supra the expected powerband for *most* setups would be strong and useable betwen 3800-7000 rpms. The only benefit of revving higher in these cases would be to take advantage of the extra gearing provided by the increase in rpm, to stay in the same gear longer, in scenarios where one would normally need to shift just prior to entering a corner. I don't think for *most* people it would be realistic to shift the powerband upward when the rpm range and additional power are generally unnecessary given what is already available, and the loss in the low end, albeit sometimes hardly noticeable, can sometimes hinder, more than it helps - forcing added stress on the car and driver having to sustain higher average rpms to stay within the powerband all the time.

That said, there are many actual benefits and deficits to moving the powerband upward, and there are many cars with setups which would benefit from this upgrade, and many driving styles which would benefit all the same. Just be sure it is really worth the cost I suppose.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I don't know why you would want to change the power of a small single Here's an example of mine. Spools quick and pulls hard up top.

·
Registered
531 Posts
RCGsupra said:
I don't know why you would want to change the power of a small single Here's an example of mine. Spools quick and pulls hard up top.

What turbo produced the graph

·
Banned
1,124 Posts

17.4lbs 94 octane

crower stage 1 cams similar to hks 264
its 61 dbb .70 ...4" ex no cats
aem ems

For some reason i am dropping power/ tq in the upper rpms. I think maybe the waste gate is the cause because before i did not have as good of torque or spool then I found a pre-turbo ex leak went back to the dyno and got a better overall curve but now have the drop off now any suggestions?

I like the setup i have and think it could be good on a road course. I have switched between stock cams and these several times and i definately preffer the stage 1 cams another setup i wanted to get was 256/264 but i didnt have the time to research enough, buy, and install because the car was scheduled to be tuned and needed to be done before then

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
For comparison, here is my T61 dyno on stock motor/cams while heat soaked at 26.5 and 27.5 psi, respectively. This turbo has an incredibly driveable powerband. I am going to do my first official track day in May, although I have gone through all kinds of twisties in the mountains previously and the turbo does very well in corners and of course the straights.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
bwill said:
Your torque graph look nice and looks "driveable". Torque wins races. Horsepower sells cars.

Barry H.
Yes, TORQUE wins races!!! Not a peak, not a curve, just plain "FLAT" as can be!

After all these years I can finally post an old graph that can be genuinely appreciated! It was quite memorable, basically we were running stock ECU, stock cams, stock injectors and just 2 additional 680's. Of course, his usual choice of HKS hardware., EVC, VPC, AIC... Bruce's goal at that time was to get a super responsive and wide usable torque band. We weren't expecting to runpast 500 or so... to get so much so fast we lifted before reaching 6500rpm.
600+ft/lbs at 4400rpm!

Sensei;)

·
Registered
831 Posts
choritsu-shi said:
Yes, TORQUE wins races!!! Not a peak, not a curve, just plain "FLAT" as can be!

After all these years I can finally post an old graph that can be genuinely appreciated! It was quite memorable, basically we were running stock ECU, stock cams, stock injectors and just 2 additional 680's. Of course, his usual choice of HKS hardware., EVC, VPC, AIC... Bruce's goal at that time was to get a super responsive and wide usable torque band. We weren't expecting to runpast 500 or so... to get so much so fast we lifted before reaching 6500rpm.
600+ft/lbs at 4400rpm!

Sensei;)
Nice! What Turbo?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Nice graph good luck keeping the wheels on the ground. The supra does'nt have a problem with horsepower or torque, the problem is getting the power to the ground effectively on the road course.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts