Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well , today I starting piecing the car togather, the 264 camshafts went in , the hks timing belt, and hks cam gears, and Koyo Rad, but one slight problem , After doing research , the 264's idle wasnt suppose to be so bad, after the install today , it jumps up and down on idle , after they wear in do you think the idle will get better? thanks

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Your ecu will have to learn the new fuel trims. It may idle a bit rich at first. Let it idle for about 15mins and see if it evens out. I'm suprised it didnt die when you first started it up.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
If after a few min of idling it does not smooth out, then something is wrong.

Check your timing belt, make sure everything lines up, sounds like you are off a tooth or 2.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car fired up perfectly on the first turn , the idle is getting better, when im at a light its fine , but when the car is sitting for a few minutes the idle will go up from 900 to 1000 or 1100rpm, then some sort of a pump will kick on , I am told that the pump gives the engine more air , for the AF mixture. I let the car first run for 20mins , and then took it for a half hour drive because the weather in canada is still shitty, Im thinking if I take it for a nice long drive the ECU will relearn and calibrate itself , because everything was taking apart during the install.

Thanks for you input guys ,I will check the timing out.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
how the cams sound ? any lash at all ? did you need to re-shim any of them

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it sounds good, but I started it today , and it idled okay and when it was warm it sounded good, then it started to idle like shit after 10minutes, and the boost gauge was moving?? the car is vibrating too , I no it should with new camshafts, and ill hit the gas and leave it at 2000 rpm and it stays there fine like normal , then i let off the gas and it starts jumping agian..

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Hks 264 cams Idle almost like stock cams. The lope is not too noticeable. Is this a JDM engine with a map sensor? or USDM with Maf sensor?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
let me ask u this......... why did u install the cam gears when you did cams?? for the look ? do u have the cam gears zeroed out ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Car is Canadian , and I installed the cam gears at the same time , and the timining belt because its all hks and I wanted to match everything , and Its all degreeded to Zero, Also this pump keeps comming on when my car is running, is that normal?

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Does it have a MAP sensor or MAF sensor? Also can you get a pic of this "pump" that keeps turning on? Sounds like you have a Smog pump or vacume pump on your particular engine. Which leads me to think that its map based. The reason I ask is that I believe the map sensor will need allot more work than the maf to get the car running good. Because of the decrease in engine vacume.

·
Registered
875 Posts
They say it should idle like stock with 264 HKS cams...with or without aftermarket
cam gears.....
Check the cam gears and your timing. Reset the ecu and try again.
Man you make me nervous.I have a set of HKS 264 cams,and I am waiting
for some GReddy cam gears....so I can install them.

Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts