Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
The WOMANIZER
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wasnt looking for a Supra but came across one that might be a good deal...

94 Black Stock
119,000 miles still pulls ok
No leaks
Adult owned
Minor hit and run damage ($2000 in body work or excuse for body kit)
Stock rims a little worn
Brake calipers worn looking
Has factory spoiler
Needs seats to be upholstered
Owner says, "after getting on it then shutdown, when you restart a little smoke comes out"

Asking 14,000. Deal or no deal?

What does a single turbo kit cost and engine rebuild? Can you covert to a 6-speed?

Please advise ASAP, thanks.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Figure out what color smoke comes out. Its probably the valve stem seals.

14k is a really goodd eal, especialy if you are going to go single anyway (the oem turbos are probbaly on their last leg). A new shortbock is about 2.6k (?), and factory heads are about 1k if you were to need a new one for some reason (mine was cracked).

6-Spd Conversion is only cost effective if A) you can do all the labor yourself, and/or B) you already have a significant investment in the car. This is comming from someone who has an auto and would like a 6-spd. Total parts cost will range from 4.5-11k depending on new vs used parts

Single turbo conversions run from 2.6-4g's for basic systems. Thats not including feul, electronics, exhaust, and labor. You will only need feul upgrades if you plan on running more than 500hp (450 is the highest I would run on OEM feul).

On an auto, you will want to go with a small single due to transmission strength. Lots of members have run up to a little over 400hp on an unmodified OEM transmission. Built transmission's are available, but a large percentage do not last as advertised.

·
The WOMANIZER
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply...

I need to purchase this car by this weekend if I plan on doing it. Is 14,000 too high or should I come down in price? If I do all the work on it, what would the car be worth? I will not convert it to 6-speed after doing a little research.

·
Alpine Hardtopper
1,096 Posts
Twistedmethod333 said it very well. For what you're telling us, $14k is a pretty great deal. You can probably count on replacing the twins and doing valve stem seals in the near future. But if you do the work yourself, and install a set of used twins you could probably have the engine pretty happy for ~$500-750. You already have a rough idea on the bodywork needs. You can also find decent prices on used seats, or get in on a group buy for new leather replacement upholstry.

All said, a 94 auto with ~120k miles in good condition should still fetch ~$20k. So the asking price seems pretty darn reasonable!

Fill us in with details if you decide to buy it.

·
The WOMANIZER
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just called him and I offered 13,000 and he said yes... He may go lower but I don't know. Makes me a little nervous this guy is so quick to lower the price. What are some major things I should look for? I want to take it to my mechanic on Monday but the car may be gone by then. What can I do to ensure nothing major is wrong?

·
Turbo Pilot Since 1983
1,113 Posts
Just call the guy and get the numbers before you make the trip! May provide a little additional negation advantage.

David

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
that sounds like a good deal to me

·
Turbo Pilot Since 1983
1,113 Posts
History according to Carfax looks good and it looks to have remained in the same state its entire career. Appears to be an OK deal depending on the actual condition. If it’s all beat and banged up I would just save a little more and find a better candidate. That’s just me though!

·
The WOMANIZER
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I figure since I know some body shop guys I can get it repainted for pretty cheap. I can also reupholster the seats or save up for some nice buckets and 5 point harnesses. Other than that I think its a solid car. I actully ran a car fax myself cause there is a couple of other cars I want to look at. (THANKS BAMA). The title is clean and it was owned by an older woman so I don't think it was abused. I put $100 earnest money till monday, at that time I will do a compression check and look for leeks on the rack. $13,000. I don't think its that bad of a deal considering that every Supra in my area gets a premium. At the very least I can break even on the car and drive it for a while.

·
Turbo Pilot Since 1983
1,113 Posts
It’s your decision no doubt! Looks good to me all things considered. Some touchup paint and a trip to see the paintless dent man and a good compound/wax the exterior I’m sure will look much better. The seats can be easily recovered and looking like new as well.

I don’t see where you can really loose on the deal.

Good luck!

David

·
Supra TT Senior
1,886 Posts
13K for a running non-salvage TT is a steal. I would just try to neg. a grand or something but if that doesn't work, still take it for 13K.

·
Alpine Hardtopper
1,096 Posts
Oh man....Washington plates?!!! *I* should have bought that car <grin>. Well, I do see that there's a dent in the rear 1/4 panel. I guess that means it's time to look at widebody kits <joking>.

From what you learned about the car history, it's going to be a find deal. At 12k, 13k, or 14k. Chances are that it's had a kind of hard life, so the current owner may know something about it that you don't find immediatly. But even then, the car appears to be 2-5k under typical prices. That's enough buffer to fix just about anything and still be ahead.

·
A right, not a privilege
3,421 Posts
I call second dibs if you pass. Please PM me the info if you decide to pass as well as why as I'm looking for a MKIV for a widebody and single so this would be perfect.

Otherwise, good find and good luck!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts