Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
instead of going the short block route i'll most likely just get a used engine from Japan. if my compression/leakdown test comes out bad.

so is that a good deal?... guy says he'l give me a 3 mon warrenty.

for complete 2jz-gte japanese motor

Insang

·
Blue 03 cobra I wish :)
251 Posts
that's good deal :)
is that including shipping?

·
Over Medicated
2,718 Posts
Remember there are differences between US spec and JDM motors. You'll have to swap engine harnesses, fuel system, MAF, etc to make a JDM motor comparable to US.

·
Registered
193 Posts
JDM Supra engines don't have as much HP as the USDM ones. Also I'd be careful of mileage claims from these importers. They all claim 30-40K but I'll bet its more like 80-100K. I think they figure they can say they have no way of proving the actual mileage if anyone asks so they just make up a believable number. A 3 month warranty isn't really that much. It probably starts the day your payment goes through and by the time you get it, install it and get the car drivable again might be more like a 2 week warranty.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Also I think you would be better off getting a new shortblock (save for the problems with some of them) and getting your head rebuilt. It will be somewhat more expensive (depending on how much a head job costs) but the block can be had for ~$2k and will have 0 miles on it. Just a thought.

B.Kidd

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
engine harness?? never heard of that.. i was told 2 were same cept for injectors and turbo's.. and actually better for single cuz of high imped. injectors..

and with recent block findings i'd rather get a used block with high compression numbers

·
Registered
855 Posts
I'd be careful buying one of these JDM 2JZGTE engines imported from Japan. The engine my bro got back in August was advertised to be in good condition and perfect compression. Turns out, it was overheated, compression NEVER checked, and is in horrible condition for 30-40K miles. Good thing he paid by credit card. Apparently in Japan, cars are required by law to have their engines rebuilt or replaced every 30-40K miles. That's how these engine importers can claim such low mileage even though they might not have any idea what the actual mileage is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts