Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may have read my other thread regarding the 08+ STI hatch, and that I am considering buying one. Well I'm still up in the air on whether to stick with that or get into an Evo X. Ironically enough, a 08 Evo X went up for sale locally from a private adult owner with only 9K miles on it. Over the weekend I went to take a look at the car. It was a little more "used" than I had hoped for a car with such low miles. There were a couple door dings, the rear wing was taken off with the holes half assed plugged, minor curb rash on a couple of the rims, a scratch on the rear bumper, a gash on the front right tire (brand new Dunlop snows) and just a few other small annoyances. On top of those the car was absolutely filthy inside and out. I couldn't believe how someone could put up a car for sale and show it in this condition. On the positive side, it's got a $1k Perrin cat-back exhaust, Cobb AP with a stage 1 93 map loaded, a Pioneer NAV unit that was nicely installed, and an aftermarket Kicker amp (sounded amazingly good). Other than the couple dings and the blemish on the rear bumper, the paint seemed to be in very good condition. Not a single rock chip on the front of the car, which is rare for Mitsushitty paint. The car seemed to drive great too. About five minutes into driving it I was quickly forgetting about the STI. The Evo just communicates so much better. I really, really liked it. However, while on the highway, I also noticed the clutch was slightly slipping when you got on it in fifth. He said he hadn't noticed it and seemed unaware of the problem. The dude seemed naive to most mechanical things in general actually, so I was inclined to believe him when he said he hadn't ever noticed it.

Anyways, I know it's in poor taste to discuss prices on cars, but I need your opinions. His asking price is $26,900. I offered him $23k and I think he is going to take it. I told myself the next car I bought would be no compromises. I wanted something flawless in near new condition. Immediately after I buy this car it will be going to the body shop to have the dings pulled and repaint the rear bumper, then to the tire shop for a new tire, and then ultimately to Shepherd Racing for a new clutch. That is a lot to swallow on a $25k used car with only 10k miles.

What do you guys think?? Hold out for the perfect one, or score a deal on this car and spend $2k to make it perfect?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Honestly, I'd be worried that a 9k mile car has a slipping clutch and all those other issues. Shows the car was definitely not taken care of, and who knows what other damage you still haven't found.

IMHO, i'd look for another car.

·
(Rare & Unique)
3,891 Posts
On the positive side, it's got a $1k Perrin cat-back exhaust, Cobb AP with a stage 1 93 map loaded, a Pioneer NAV unit that was nicely installed, and an aftermarket Kicker amp (sounded amazingly good).

The dude seemed naive to most mechanical things in general actually, so I was inclined to believe him when he said he hadn't ever noticed it.
Did he have those "mods" put it to be naive ? I'm just asking cause I have seen sellers that "pretend" and know fully well everything

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
His reason for selling is recently relocated to the area and is having to drive much farther to work each day. He just bought a 6 speed 335xi to replace it and needs it gone because it's just taking up space.

As far as the mods he had them all professionally installed, has receipts for all of the work (the paperwork on the car is all there from day one), and mentioned that he didn't want to go any further because of the possibility that it might void the warranty.

I know the stock clutches are WEAK on the Evo X's. A couple of launches can kill them at even stock power levels. This car is making about 60WHP more than stock, so it's not too surprising that it's slipping as the mods have been on the car for about 6k miles.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Talked to him last night and told him it wasn't the car for me. I was almost trying to talk myself into it, 'cause I need a car bad. Thanks for the moment of clarity, gentlemen. :rockon:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts