Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Please let me know if there is a better thread here for this question. Sorry, I don't know anything about Supras but my 16 year old son has been checking them out for years. He is interested in a project car and has found a 1998 with 358k miles (listed as RW drive, Manual w/OD "Regular"?) and thinks that's a good price for the body alone...even to resell. I'm also concerned because it's listed as a "son died and need to sell to pay for the funeral" and those are often scams. Asking $7k. If the papers are clean and it exists, is this actually a good deal?

Thanks!
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
380 Posts
It's a scam

Literally stolen from the thread

James' 94 Supra Turbo.

The car is green now.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Kidney and JamesRR3

·
...pop the hood!
Joined
·
1,113 Posts
i saw an ad a while back for an n/a mkiv for 10k being sold by a woman "whos dad gave it to her"

was hoping it was legit, but after offering to pay cash in person, the excuses commenced...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
380 Posts
I once saw a pristine MKIV on craigslist for 20k. Knowing it was a 99% chance it was a scam, the 1% in me decided to try and get the car.

At first the car was local to me in Florida. Then it was being stored in Utah. Then the owner of the car was currently working on a cruise ship and would be back shortly, but you could hold it with a "deposit". Its always the same story with these scams, little to no detail (very few pictures), there is always some stupid reason why you can't see the car or purchase it straight up, and the price is always too low. Lastly you get things like "Manual w/OD "Regular" as OP stated.
 
  • Like
Reactions: jdm-rhd

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,753 Posts
Considering that bleach containers need 'Do not drink' warning labels on them in 2021, I really shouldn't be surprised that there are still people stupid enough to fall for these scams.

But somehow, I am a little bit surprised and disappointed, every time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like the one on chainsaws warning you not to operate them from the wrong end. I'd feel more dumb, but my son was trying to get his mom to invest in a great deal and me having no idea what Supras were worth, but knowing that 99.9% of the time great deals on OfferUp are too good to be true, urged her to wait until I asked the question of a users group...which did not disappoint.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
346 Posts
kingston, your son has great taste 😄 He is clearly a smart kiddo. Sorry that he was disappointed by those fake ads. This is the first time I've seen one with pictures of my car as the bait. Those pics are from 2015.

Thank you for the kind words about my thread. Great visit to SupraForums today.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
346 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,547 Posts
Man, how weird is it to know that there are a handful of folks on this forum who actually had the fortune to have one of these cars in their teens and early 20's? I mean... that's all but an impossibility these days, for better and worse.
 
  • Like
Reactions: JamesRR3

·
Band on the Run
Joined
·
1,050 Posts
te72 - I was able to get a usdm mkiv at like 17 in the mid2000s for like 14-15k I think (im forgetting the actual price ) after working illegally in construction for an entire year from 15-16 to have enough money for a downpayment (made 10k hanging studs and drywall for a few hours a day after school and most weekends) . My parents were so impressed that I stuck through with a construction job as a scrawny 15/16 year old and I was working so hard for the goal of getting a loan on an old toyota lol that when the time came to actually get a car at 17 they just paid for the remaining 4/5k. I daily drove the car my senior year in highschool and until about 22 when I got bit by the performance mod bug and the car then became a garage ornament for the last ten years lol. Sounds like a complete boomer story and im only in my early 30s...
 

·
From the land down under
Joined
·
4,536 Posts
Considering that bleach containers need 'Do not drink' warning labels on them in 2021, I really shouldn't be surprised that there are still people stupid enough to fall for these scams.

But somehow, I am a little bit surprised and disappointed, every time.
I wonder how long it will be until they need to have "do not inject" on the containers too :rolleyes:
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top