1986.5, Toyota, Supra
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
1FZ-FE

4.5L Straight six

240 hp and 300 lb⋅ft

It's Toyota. hard to source.

RB26

S54B32 Is a capable motor and the 6 speed it comes with is also supposed to be rated for 700+ HP.
I was looking into an RB26 but I don’t wanna do an AWD conversation and there will be a lot of work to do that with RWD but I will look into the S54B32

·
Super Moderator
10,753 Posts
I have two 1FZ-FE's and they are monsters. I'd be curious if they fit in a Supra? It's an industrial engine that also sees duty in forklifts and industrial stationary pumps. It's huge and weighs about the same as a GM 454 block. Great engine.
A few guys, including Titan Motorsports, tried using 1FZ-FE's as a 'big block' Supra drag racing engine in a few dedicated drag cars. AFAIK, the additional weight, fitment issues (required a serious cowl hood) and poor cylinder head flow at high HP/high boost levels wasn't worth the faster turbo spoolup gained by the 4.5L of displacement.

·
Super Moderator
10,753 Posts
@MFC you really should offer some guidance to get better advice. Specifically, your budget, mechanical ability/available tools/fab skills etc, and what your performance goals are.

A 2M is rare as hell and a 3M-G engine is basically priceless. The last 3M-G engine I saw for sale in Japan was offered at approximately $65,000 USD, complete with exhaust manifolds and carbs. It also only made 150hp stock and racing versions were around 220hp. Not a good engine for a swap.

Almost all of the other engines listed here were listed in jest, and/or are overly expensive and problematic to swap into a MK3 for a lot of reasons.

Reactions: Da Kine Guy

·
Registered
549 Posts
Thanks for the additional on the 4.5. Yes it's a tractor engine with some 75% of its torque at 2000 rpm. It's also massive so it's stable under heavy use, etc. 8 quart oil pan with internal oil pan so it can operate at 40 degree side angle offroad without starving.

·
Registered
549 Posts
That hurts my eyes to look at. I guess if it's a chain there's generally no service interval for it. Of course, I see a nice plastic chain guide (times 4!) to make sure something wears down and requires a massive $3000 shop charge to replace $100 worth of plastic.

·
90T
731 Posts
oh yeah, it was designed to be a lifetime chain drive. In practice failures of these components as early as 50,000 miles on well maintained vehicles is common.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Figures. But somewhere on Audi's HQ trophy case in their lobby is a "green" award for using recyclable plastics in that engine, so it's all good. The guides get slowly recycled by a steel chain, feeding them into owner's oil filters. Audi gets a green/recylable tax break from most governments they sell into, and everything is right with the world....except owners who fork over $3000 on a 5 year old car. Beautiful.

·
Registered
1989 Sport Roof White Pkg 7M-GTE
65 Posts
If something happened to my engine to make it unusable for some reason I am putting in a UZ Lexus V8. Enough of these have been done now that there is a lot of knowledge available to do it. The low end torque is awesome and since I have never been interested in going fast this is a great swap.

·
Registered
32 Posts
How about a Barra? Not sure how easy they are to come by in the States but in Australia they’re legendary in-line 6 monsters.

·
Registered
163 Posts
87-88 7M-GTE would fit with the same motor mounts. You could beef it up anyway you wanted to or leave it stock. Adding a R154 transmission would be a good idea. I'm not sure if the sliding yoke on the drive shafts are the same for a W58. I did a quick search on the Internet and came up with jdmworld2008 as a source for engines with transmissions. Click here for the website. I have never used them so I can't vouch for their service.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
In seriousness, a 1UZ is my number one pick for easy and relatively cheap. Performance is great for the investment, reliability is also very much a benefit. The fact they can make good power with a bit of boost is just a bonus. Ever have an engine so good it makes you like the car that it came in, despite it being a car that by any other measure, isn't what you're into? That's what happened to me.

Inline 6 choice, Ford Barra has been mentioned, I think the big hurdle is the height, if I recall my research. Prices are fairly reasonable, even in the US. Parts availability, unfortunately, doesn't seem to be very good here, BUT... USD vs AUD is in your favor here, so it all kinda works out. Just don't need anything in a hurry. ;)

Now, time for some trivia. That 1FZ in the Land Cruisers, the 4.5L legend of an inline 6? Anyone wanna guess it's origins? Hint... think Chevrolet. SO much in common with the old 215/235 Chevy, that itself evolved into the 250, I have a hard time believing that they're not related, at least unofficially, somewhere along the line. There's also quite a bit of precedent with GM working with Toyota through the decades. Look into it! :)

·
Super Moderator
10,753 Posts
In seriousness, a 1UZ is my number one pick for easy and relatively cheap. Performance is great for the investment, reliability is also very much a benefit. The fact they can make good power with a bit of boost is just a bonus. Ever have an engine so good it makes you like the car that it came in, despite it being a car that by any other measure, isn't what you're into? That's what happened to me.

Inline 6 choice, Ford Barra has been mentioned, I think the big hurdle is the height, if I recall my research. Prices are fairly reasonable, even in the US. Parts availability, unfortunately, doesn't seem to be very good here, BUT... USD vs AUD is in your favor here, so it all kinda works out. Just don't need anything in a hurry. ;)

Now, time for some trivia. That 1FZ in the Land Cruisers, the 4.5L legend of an inline 6? Anyone wanna guess it's origins? Hint... think Chevrolet. SO much in common with the old 215/235 Chevy, that itself evolved into the 250, I have a hard time believing that they're not related, at least unofficially, somewhere along the line. There's also quite a bit of precedent with GM working with Toyota through the decades. Look into it! :)
All true! Though the UZ's performance:money ratio goes down the tubes if you're going for big power.

I'd also point out the Chevy resemblance is with the 1F/2F/3F-E engines found in the earlier LC's, the 4.5L is the 1FZ-FE which has a 24V DOHC head and doesn't have a whole lot in common with the old F-block engines.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
All true! Though the UZ's performance:money ratio goes down the tubes if you're going for big power.

I'd also point out the Chevy resemblance is with the 1F/2F/3F-E engines found in the earlier LC's, the 4.5L is the 1FZ-FE which has a 24V DOHC head and doesn't have a whole lot in common with the old F-block engines.
Well, define "big power" in this case? Guy's coming from a 7m-ge, I'm sure a 400hp UZ would feel fantastic for a long while.

And I stand very much corrected. I forgot that the F-engines had two generations, the second one being quite different and much more advanced. The original F-engine is the one I was talking about, they're still pushrod, correct? Surely they're not flatheads... it's been a few days since I last looked into it haha. I was originally considering a Toyota swap into my 48 Chevy, that's how I learned about all that.

·
Super Moderator
10,753 Posts
Yep, precisely right. The F and the FZ are two very different engines. The F is the Chevy clone pushrod engine :)

Even 400hp with a UZ takes forced induction or a lot more $$$ in all motor mods. But you are right, going from a stock 7M-GE to most any UZ V8 would be a nice upgrade, stock vs stock.

Fabrication inclined folks can do some great stuff with earlier 1UZ's or a hybrid UZ built using the early 1UZ beefy rods, but compared to most other common-ish V8's in North America, the UZ aftermarket is basically nonexistent.
But like you say, it is a damn solid engine.

·
Registered
549 Posts
For the record, the earlier 4.0 LandCruiser 6 had some dimensions shared with the Chevy, but in no way, shape or form was it either produced by, stolen from, or benefited from GM engineering as popular lore would have it. For starters, there's no way GM could have produced such a legendary durable mill. A lot of engines end up very close by different manufacturers because of engine displacement taxes, competitive responses, engineers from two different companies coming to very similar conclusions, etc. And the newer 4.5 has no more commonality with the earlier 4.0 engine than a lot of corporate engine families. The newer 4.5 is, however, another fantastic and durable engine like the 4.0 was in its day. Except for the HG issues - argh. A lot of manufacturers were forced to switch from traditional asbestos-based head gaskets with no notice thanks to short sighted government regs, including Toyota. This engine has issues at 150,000 miles and above when most cars are in the junkyard. One of mine will flop over 300,000 miles next month, the other is around 240,000. Original water pumps, alternators, never rebuilt and don't use oil.

I'm intrigued with the swap suggestions coming up here. Would love to see some of these at a Supra get together or cars n coffee gig.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts