Supra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car was running a little hot this summer, so I assumed BHG, but it was an old radiator just not doing its job.

The radiator guy said it working about 70%, so I'm overheating.

Well, I didn't want to chuck that radiator, after all, it IS working 70%.

And I didn't want do all kinds of chopping and mods, so here's what I done--

Got a BIG tranny cooler (21" x 12" x 1 1/2" thick) and put it in BETWEEN the A/C and the engine radiator (there's a big space in there)--fits great and no hacking up my car or disconnecting transmission line. I just added some sticky pads from home depot to both sides so it wouldn't touch the other radiators.

Ran the hoses out that litle opening (some tweaking here) , then into the heater hose for much needed rear engine cooling

That tranny cooler is about 80% as big as the engine radiator, so by my math, I figure I got about --- 70% + 80% = 150% of stock cooling. Right?

Total cost $90 and runs coooooooooooooooooooooooool. I gave it the tourture test, drove up Mt Diablo in 95 degrees and didn't overheat.

· Registered
1,602 Posts
Mikado said:
Definitely very nice. Now chuck that old radiator, get a Fluidyne instead, and watch as your temp needle NEVER moves above 1/4 with both radiators inline.
The fluidyne works THAT well?? The temp needle seriously went down to the 1/4 way up mark?

Hey m22, looks like you leave near me. Definately try and come to the next gathering in the Bay Area. I wanna see this thing up close :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not rich enough to own a supra

$469.00 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! christ--I've bought whole cars for less.

First car-- 1961 VW $75 no back seat, no radio, no heater, and a wooden bumper. Origioanlly engine rated at 36HP when new -- had less after 20+ year. Top speed uphill 40mph downhill 65mph

2nd car---- 1972 Ford LTD $200 Great cruiser. 400 cubes under the hood. bad paint, fun car

· white guy
3,787 Posts
After having that "electric fan mod" done, where the 2 electric fans are always on if the car is, my temp gauge is always lower. It used to sit right in the middle, then after that, it sits almost 1/2 way between the middle and the bottem mark. Pretty sweet for free... :)

· Republican
9,678 Posts
Yes, and it also sounds like you live near me, i would LOVE to see that setup!

· Registered
1,602 Posts
fatboyfsx said:
After having that "electric fan mod" done, where the 2 electric fans are always on if the car is, my temp gauge is always lower. It used to sit right in the middle, then after that, it sits almost 1/2 way between the middle and the bottem mark. Pretty sweet for free... :)
Hmmm, my car sounds exactly like yours did. Temp gauge exactly in the middle. I'll see it drop a few mm on the highway once I get the speed up but for the most part it's rock solid in the middle which is higher then some of the other guys out here. I wonder where Ivan's needle stays at. Oh well, good discussion! Always looking for a way to lower operating temps :bigthumb:

· Registered
1,547 Posts
m22rockcrusher said:

Total cost $90 and runs coooooooooooooooooooooooool. I gave it the tourture test, drove up Mt Diablo in 95 degrees and didn't overheat.
for that much money spend another $50 and get a brand new radiator from radiators.com. their radiator is metal and comes with a 14psi rad cap. my torture test? countless 12 second passes in 90 degree heat, top end pull to redline in 5th gear, etc, etc. never once threatened to overheat on me. one of the best things i've done for my car imo.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
<<for that much money spend another $50 and get a brand new radiator from radiators.com>>

Yeah, but then I got only one radiator, now I got two, and exceeding the factory cooling spec by 40 or 50%

Plus, I didn't have to drain the radiator or disconnect the transmission lines and make a big mess and more cost to the job. It was a very easy mod, that works better than when new.

====================================

I forgot to tell of 2 other cooling mods done at the same time--

The license plate mod--
around here you get a ticket for no front plate, but that front plate is right in the way of the best airflow to my radiator. So I bent it so it wrap around the bumper. Now all you see is "california", but no numbers -- wonder how long that will last. It looks better and it opens up the best part of the flow.

The shroud mod--
When I had the shroud out, I noticed that a whole section (the drivers side lower) is restricted. I got out my saw and chopped out a big section and opened the up. The origioanl electric fan is still install too

· 25psi = 14" brakes :)
2,348 Posts
I would not have cut the shroud.
They look restrictive, but they really are not. They are there for a reason, and really when you figure the area of the radiator, the air going through it is generally less than the air that can flow out of the fan holes in your shroud.
I like this idea of using the add on radiator to direct nice cooler coolant to the back of the block. Very good idea.
Can you post a few pics? I'd like to see it. Or bring it to Vegas this year.

· Premium Member
6,754 Posts
Da Kine Guy said:

Hmmm, my car sounds exactly like yours did. Temp gauge exactly in the middle. I'll see it drop a few mm on the highway once I get the speed up but for the most part it's rock solid in the middle which is higher then some of the other guys out here. I wonder where Ivan's needle stays at. Oh well, good discussion! Always looking for a way to lower operating temps :bigthumb:
LOL, dude, where've you been? I fixed his temp gauge a long time ago... it sits lower then yours does :p so does everyone elses :p aight lates

p.s. M22, we should meet up sometimes with some of the bayarea guys around here, aight lates

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by dgblkbelt
From what I've heard though you don't want the car running too cool...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The thermostat keeps the engine temp from getting to low.

Supra's running too cold are as common as sabre tooth tigers

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.