Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
...For Me to SUP On!!
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the wheel fitment guide but i'm still missing the ideal front/back pairings... in other words, lets say i could only fit a 245 up front and a 295 in the back, in this case bigger might not be better.. the car may handle better with a 275 in the back (to match the 245 up front)... so stock we have 235/255... where do we go from there?

i'm sure this has been discussed, and i've searched the archives, but i haven't seen this explicitly laid out...

also, for the RH M5's, the fitment guide suggests 245/275 as the max... how much "better" would 255/285 or 265/295 be? should i consider other wheels just to move up in tire widths?

thanks!
Jeff

·
3,148 Posts
With the right offsets and widths you should be able to run a 275/295 combo without any other mods to the car. The 275/295 will be considerably better than a 245/275 combo. You will probably want to maintain the 20mm differential from front to rear. Increasing the the front wheel width disproportionately to the rear will get rid of the understeer apparent in the stock setup, so the tire differential can stay the same. Basically there is a 1.5" difference from front to rear wheel in the stock setup. If you go to 1" differene the understeer goes away. On your 245 question, I would run a 265/35 in the rear. Widening the front wheel/tire is what allows for the larger rear wheel/tire without hurting the balance of the car. I will be mounting my 275/35R18 on my front 9.5" wheels in 2 weeks. My current 265/35R18 on 9.5" front and 295/30R18 on 10.5" rear setup pushes just a little more than I like. The 275/9.5" front and 295/10.5" rear setup should be very balanced.

Later, Steve

·
...For Me to SUP On!!
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Steve... that sure makes the SSR's appealing from a tire-options standpoint... choices! you'd think for close to $3000 you should be able to get the "perfect" wheels... but it seems like a compromise no matter what...

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Steve, I currently have the 245/275 combo with 9 and 10" rims and an Eibach Pro Kit. When I replace the rears I want either 285/30, 285/35 or 295/30. Your guide showed the 295 as too wide for the 10" but you mean from an ideal handling point of view I'm sure. I know the 295s will actually fit the rims but I don't want sloppy handling. Also with my drop would 295s require rolling the fenders???

J

·
0 Posts
Hey Steve the guru

Read this thread with interest. Inquiry involved RH m5's. With the 39f & 44r offset (only one they will sell for Supra) won't the tire suggestions you mention be too large for these wheels with indic ated offsets? If not, have I made a mistake by going 245-275 as you indicated? How will handling be adversely affected? UPS has made one attempt to deliver this package, so a quick response will be appreciated. Will a 255 front with 39 offset have all necessary clearances? If 255 better, guess I could exchange before tires mounted on car. Really appreciate all the help you've been! Will be genuflecting toward Lewisville again! Did you look it up? Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts