Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few scratches on my lip and i decided to repaint it. What kind of paint should I use? and would be a good idea to use a clear coat afterward? (to make it shiny)

·
Registered
13,569 Posts
Since it's so flexible, if you don't want it to crack you'll probably have to add a ton of plasticizer to the paint. I'm not a paint expert, so I can't tell you more about doing it.

Is this too getto?: I forgot who came out with it sometime last year, maybe Krylon?, but it's a spray paint specifically intended for painting flexible plastic and it supposedly has binders/solvents to make the paint adhere very aggressively to the plastic surface even without a lot of prep and undercoating. I'm gonna try it on a couple spots on my front lip and stock black front bumper.

S

·
0 Posts
i used plasti-kote semi-gloss black #1895 bumper spray. It looked excellent coming from a can.
Also used it on the interior piece around the auto shifter and it matched extremely close to the other pieces (has to be prepared properly). Got it at pep-boys auto stores, if you are going to use it i recomend that you get the handle for the can "can gun" to lay it out more even. spray light coats only until desired texture. Don't spray heavy coats cause they tend to run. good luck.

·
Bad Texan Boy
4,266 Posts
All Supras should have paint on their stock lips because its look so sexy.

·
Registered
500 Posts
please dont do a spray can DIY. You have a Supra, this is not a spray can honda project. Bring it to the pros or do a real spray with professional sand/primer/paint. Go to different shops and get quotes.

·
Stinks like sex in here..
343 Posts
shockel said:
i used plasti-kote semi-gloss black #1895 bumper spray. It looked excellent coming from a can.
Also used it on the interior piece around the auto shifter and it matched extremely close to the other pieces (has to be prepared properly). Got it at pep-boys auto stores, if you are going to use it i recomend that you get the handle for the can "can gun" to lay it out more even. spray light coats only until desired texture. Don't spray heavy coats cause they tend to run. good luck.

Same here, except I just did the just the lip, came out looking great. Just make sure you prep properly and do several light coats instead of few heavy ones.

·
Banned
1,570 Posts
^ I would like to know this too.. :dunno:

·
Registered
422 Posts
This can be a DIY project but it's not a rattle can type of project. Your going to need an adhesion promoter to get the paint to stick to the lip. "Flexibility" will be there as most paints are pretty flexible. (Now you can't run it up on a curb or hit something and expect the paint to not be damaged.)

I would suggest having this done by a professional painter....

1.Clean part with wax and grease remover.

2. Wipe off with alcohol / plastic prep.

3. Spray "adhesion promoter" on the part.

4. Spray paint after required flash time for adhesion promoter.

5. Either clear over or leave depending on how you want to finish.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
dblegle said:
1.Clean part with wax and grease remover.

2. Wipe off with alcohol / plastic prep.

3. Spray "adhesion promoter" on the part.

4. Spray paint after required flash time for adhesion promoter.

5. Either clear over or leave depending on how you want to finish.

^Correct^

Now, for the DIY guys with minimal products available and/or who still have questions:

The easiest way to make this a reallynice DIY job is to substitute step 1 and 2 above with a powder type Comet or Ajax and use it with a scotch pad. When that's done for a few minutes, you'll instantly notice a difference in the "feel" of the plastic. It's not so slick anymore and is dried out.
After that step, you can also rub the part down with rubbing alcohol to clean it and to further prep the polastic for accepting the paint. Actually, you can choose either the Comet or the alcohol as they both have the same effect on raw plastic parts.....I choose to do both.

Now the plastic has all of it's "releasing agents" drawn out of the plastic. These agents are what give raw plastic that "slick" "feel".....it's what enables the plastic part to pop from it's mold when manufactured (FYI - same applies to unpainted factory bumpers - new bumpers).

Step 3 above is optional as long as Comet or alcohol were used first. I use it only because I already have access to the stuff and spray guns, air compressor etc. However, there are some adhesion promotors in a spray can at auto paint stores.

Continue with step 4 and 5 above.

One other tip: After the part is scuffed and rubbed with Comet and alcohol etc, do your best to avoid touching and handling it with your bare hands. Your hands have oils on them and you'll leave hand prints of this oil all over and create cause for the paint to not stick as well. Also, once prepped and cleaned like this, simply let the part air dry completely. You can use a hairdryer on hot to make sure the dampness is gone from the plastic before painting.

Flex-additive isn't a must since the part doesn't flex much once mounted....and if you hit a parking curb, plan on scratching the paint anyway :D

Someone asked about Krylon's "Fusion" spray paint. Shit, I say, if it works half as good as the commercial says it does, then more power to ya....I plan to use it eventually....I cant wait to see how strong it is! :)

sean

·
Registered
422 Posts
blkturbo! said:
Someone asked about Krylon's "Fusion" spray paint. Shit, I say, if it works half as good as the commercial says it does, then more power to ya....I plan to use it eventually....I cant wait to see how strong it is! :)

sean

I took the stock mud flaps off the front and painted them with the "Fusion" paint. I didn't even wipe them down. Just washed with soap and water and painted. You can literally fold the part in half and the paint stays on the part! Too bad it doesn't come in more colors...

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
dblegle said:
I took the stock mud flaps off the front and painted them with the "Fusion" paint. I didn't even wipe them down. Just washed with soap and water and painted. You can literally fold the part in half and the paint stays on the part! Too bad it doesn't come in more colors...

Damn! That's crazy! :D Glad to hear it...it may come in handy in the future!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts