Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Impeller Head
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, been working on MKIVs part time for this local shop and the shop owner gave me this short block for free :) The only thing wrong with it is the melted/chunk missing from no. 6 piston. Block, rods, and crankshaft are perfect :)

·
Go All Electric
1,183 Posts
That's AWESOME! So ... what are going to do with it? Give it to me?

EDIT: I wouldn't get a 1j head for it. Just build it/get new pistons.

T

·
0 Posts
AWIDESUPIE said:
That's AWESOME! So ... what are going to do with it? Give it to me?

EDIT: I wouldn't get a 1j head for it. Just build it/get new pistons.
and why wouldn't you get a 1j head? IT is... uh, better than the 2j one

·
Impeller Head
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going to hold on to it, he might give me a cylinder head in the future ;) He has one that was off of a burnt car; it might be warped though and the first two cam bearing caps are melted
:(
--Ron

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
jt2ma71 said:
I'm going to hold on to it, he might give me a cylinder head in the future ;) He has one that was off of a burnt car; it might be warped though and the first two cam bearing caps are melted
:(
--Ron
..maybe it isn't warped, keep the hopes up :)

·
Go All Electric
1,183 Posts
If you ever feel like getting rid of it ... I have first dibs ;).

More realistically, if you put in in a mk3 ... buy a different mk3 to put it in. Your current one with the built 7m is too awesome to tear it apart for a 2jz.

TRD91 ... I misread. I forgot that he only has a block.
I have been told for quite some time that the 1j head flows better than a 2j head .. but I haven't seen any proof. <---No proof doesn't mean that I don't think it is true ... I just haven't seen any. I suppose getting a 1j head would be a good idea.

I don't know if a 2j head may be easier to come by though.

Best regards.

P.S.- Ron, give me the block :).

·
Premium Member
6,130 Posts
:Drool: Free block... aight peace

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
obviously the 1jz head would be made to breathe more because its built for a smaller stroke engine. Doesnt mean its better for a 2jz or ideal for that matter.

Ang

·
Impeller Head
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I hear a lot of stuff about which head is better. This guy who gave me the block has flow tested each of these heads and intake manifolds :) The 7m flow the least, and he claims I would gain at least 50 HP by porting it. The NA 2J flows better than the 2JZ GTE head. Whether it is better for turbocharging applications, I don't know...
The 7m stock intake outflows the 2JZGTE intake.
Might have been discussed before but these are new to me :)
BTW, if anybody has any lead on any for sale cyl. head that will bolt on to the 2J block, pls LMK. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
That's interesting that they put an intake that flows more on a head that could use work to support it and then turned around and put a more restricted intake on a head that flows more. Of course there is the the forced air issue and how this affects things. Did he happen to mention where you could benefit the most from porting. Was it unshrouding the valves or increasing the size of the port itself or both?

·
Impeller Head
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We will flow test both of my manifold setups. I don't want to be responsible for blown motors you know :)
He did mention unshrouding the valves and he has a sample of a 7m piston he designed which gives the best quench possible, he claims because it perfectly matches the combustion chamber shape.

·
25psi = 14" brakes :)
2,306 Posts
If you decide to sell you 7MGTE motor, let me know, I'm in the market.
Also, I absolutely think your brakes are awesome. Is that the kit from Stillen, or Brembo?
Since we are talking about porting too, I've heard that porting the exhaust side on the 7MGTE is more important than the intake, and cleaning up the sharp edges around the valve bowls is worth the effort. Making the intake ports larger does not add up to much on forced induction however. The exhaust side is another matter, just like a larger exhaust pipe gives you a nice gain, opening up the exhaust ports, and matching them to the exhaust manifold can add power. That being said, I've never seen a 7MGTE where this was done. Only 300Z's. (I of a 300Z making 455RWHP+ on stock turbos, with Stillen upgrade FMIC's and a computer upgrade. The exhaust ports are ported, and the stock manifolds are ported from Stillen, and were coated with TB along with the turbine housings. He also has Stillen midpipes, and cat backs. The short block is stock.)
I would think the same porting attention on the 7M would pay off in similer ways.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
It is so refreshing to hear you guys talking about building a nice balanced motor. I always wonder how a set of Ross or JE pistons affects the quench or combustion swirl. A small change in piston dish can effect the calculations significantly. There are spreadsheets out there to figure this stuff out, but I have never played with one.

·
Impeller Head
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't have a picture right now but I will take one Monday when I go back to the shop ;)

·
Canada, Eh?
2,397 Posts
keep me updated on the flowtest of your intake mani.... im still not sure which type im going to make (tube vs sheetmetal)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts