Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm not saying that I shouldn't have gotten the ticket, because I definitely was speeding; nor am I saying that this particular state trooper is basically a tax collecting pig, but does this look right?

Exactly on the ticket:
14-219 82mph on a 65mph zone - $267
14-80 Unusual muffler noise - $242
14-242 Failure to signal - $93

This was on I84 and light traffic. I was passing some semis going up a long hill. The trooper popped up right behind me as soon as I merged back into the middle lane. I have no idea where he came from, I know I didn't pass him and he wasn't in my rearview when I had checked before passing, so he must've seen it from far behind. I'm guessing he was half a mile back and saw me going up the hill pretty fast compared to the semis. I also don't know how he came up with the mph since he never clocked me with a gun, and by the time he was directly behind me I was doing 70. I thought that they couldn't write exact figures unless they had used a gun.

How do they calculate how much the fine should be? I've been ticketed for these in the past, but they wouldn't have totalled up to $600. Just curious if this are new fine figures.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Fuc..... nazis need to bring in more revenue to fill up their paychecks dude, tickets are not about safety- it's all about $$$$$$$$, fuc..... leeches of society, Rob NJ.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Same here in germany....
States/Cities ran out of money and now, when it's getting warm outside, every road seems to be full of this BS with radar/cameras/laserguns etc.

The difference is that we have lists that show what we've got to pay for what offense ... no officer can double fees just because he doesn't like you or wasn't #*%ksucked last night.

And I'm glad it is so ... reading this i had to think of what i've heard long before:

" To find out the real character of a person, give him power ... "

And that's exactly what they have when they stop us...

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
my dad got out of a ticket because the cop didnt use a radar. he "guessed". but my dad was doing a 100 in a 30 and the cop guessed 80 and gave him a 50 in a 30. if the cop didnt use a radar fight it and you should be able to win. good luck.

·
SLAMPIGS R US....BJBBQFTW
189 Posts
i got a 90 in a 55....clean liscence...what do u think ill get for it? btw im pleading not guilty because my speedometer is off by 20-30....and there was noone on the hwy to keep up with traffic.....

·
SupraCop
407 Posts
Dont just pay it. Talk to the prosecutor and see what you can do. As a min you should be able to get no points but you might have to pay the 600.00 in fines anyway. You might want to get a lawyer. Even though you'll have to pay the lawyer it might be cheaper in the long run.

Hope that helped.
If you still have the ticket post the title 39 codes. I'd like to look them up. I am in the academy right now.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I beat a ticket like this once. I actually passed a cop and then he pulled me over. He used his speedo to caculate my mph. According to pa law when they do that they must have their speedo calibrated every month or some shit like that. Well he didn't and they threw it out the window. Check with your state laws and maybe you can get lucky too! :)

Goodluck

·
Registered
68 Posts
the fines are set by the state not the officer they can only change in construction or school zones, officers that are trained to use lidar and radar can estimate with in 5 miles per hour your speed and the judge will except this because of there training and expereince so they dont even need the gun or the speedo! also about the signal charge you should look it up because in MD you only have to signal when turning! signals are not required for lane changes the exhaust charge you are stuck on because they say any modification to stock exhaust is illegal

·
MKIV intervention needed
3,021 Posts
kowalski said:
Same here in germany....
States/Cities ran out of money and now, when it's getting warm outside, every road seems to be full of this BS with radar/cameras/laserguns etc.

The difference is that we have lists that show what we've got to pay for what offense ... no officer can double fees just because he doesn't like you or wasn't #*%ksucked last night.

And I'm glad it is so ... reading this i had to think of what i've heard long before:

" To find out the real character of a person, give him power ... "

And that's exactly what they have when they stop us...

thats a great quote. nice point.

·
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I'm definitely pleading not guilty and just wait for the court date. Insurance will go up anyways when they run a check, no matter if you pay the ticket right away or plead not guilty. At least by going to court I can get the fine reduced to something more reasonable, I just hate wasting my time there. It's so routine, they should just do it over the phone instead of doing all this make believe court stuff. Not to mention they charge you for paper work and judges fee, in addition to the "deal" that you get.

I also found out from searching the internet that some insurance companies actually donate the expensive radar and laser detectors to police departments. They say it's so everyone can drive safer, but it's no coincidence that your rates go up automatically for every speeding ticket you get resulting from those guns. Actually, there have been less fatalities since they raised the speed limit in CT from 55 to 65. There are "speed engineers" that research this stuff for a living, and they recommend 70-75 as the safest speed limit for the highways, and the speeds most people are comfortable with. But it's not up to them to assign speed limits.

·
11,221 Posts
Man what I hate the most is getting a speeding ticket at 6 in the morning when there's no fucking traffic.

I saw this like 3-4 years ago and I thought it was pretty cool. About 20 or so truckers got together and drove the speed limit along the East Coast. It backed traffic up so much. I guess they were protesting "speed limit is stupid" or something to that extent.

·
Registered
312 Posts
michaelvanle said:
Man what I hate the most is getting a speeding ticket at 6 in the morning when there's no fucking traffic.

so true, so many times on GSP- i see those non-producing leeches of society praying on working people, like a bunch of hyenas-last time i've seen 5 of them between exits 136-131- each with a victim, did we the people established the govt. to secure/protect our rights-or have some nazi/commie bastards steal from us under color of law- yes color of law-motor vehicle regulations are not law-if you know how our laws are passed that is, but that's another long story -which due to the public fool education system would make people not understand it anyway, lol, Rob NJ.

·
Garage Queen Club
2,822 Posts
1wide7 said:
because they say any modification to stock exhaust is illegal
Soo... your mom's 4-runner got a new exhaust a Mieneke (or Midas). Its not stock. It is aftermarket. Are they illegal now? I sure hope thats not the law, but instead its based on loudness, not looks.
Cop pulls you over and says "that exhaust doesn't look stock". If you say "I just got it replaced by Midas", he is now going to give you a ticket for that?

Or will his premise be tha its too loud, then give you a ticket? Its still bullshit anyway. Goodluck fighting that. If he came from way back, chances are he caught you way earlier doing that speed, not at the moment you were passing.

·
Senior Spooler
1,206 Posts
I've seen it a few times troopers hide in between truckers, they are sly about it. I've found them with my V1 several times shooting radar from behind the trucks. You fly by they jump out behind you.....especially in the Boston area!

Its that time of year also time to fill the collection plates.

·
Registered
305 Posts
michaelvanle said:
Everything's doubled in the 65mph zone.

Not in CT... The fine is only doubled in a construction zone. However, most of I84 in CT is a construction zone, so that may be where he got you. Your insurance will NOT go up if they nolle all offenses. Your just lucky he didnt put that you were doin 85 and get you for reckless driving... Anyways, being that I have gotten out of just about every ticket that I have ever gotten (including 71 in a 35 and 54 in a 30mph construction zone) this is what you do:

go to court, tell the prosecutor that you passed the semis because they were blocking you in on the highway and you felt dangered. You wanted to avoid the semis "swerving and eratic driving". You didnt signal because you were so nervous about passing them and the fact that the officer came "speeding" up behind you and it made you even more nervous so you just moved over and he pulled you over. As for the exhaust, your best bet with that is take it to DMV and have it tested with the decibel meter. If it passes, the ticket wont hold up at all. Just make sure the DMV inspector signs it and puts his badge number.

·
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
JusticCT - I have a K40 that came with the car, it never went off.

Nj94supratt - I posted the code numbers on the first post.

Before I passed the trucks, I was just following the speed of traffic. The trucks slowed going up the hill so I went around them. I don't think the whole thing took longer than 10 seconds. So I'm pretty sure that was when he saw me, I was legal the rest of the way.

No construction sites within 15 exits before or after.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts