Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Jihad Killer
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wellhere goes..

My mods are 3" DP back exhaust,intake filter,1 PC Aluminum driveshaft, new 6 puck clutch kit. Stock boost and still running the stock N/A fuel pump... <<<<<

Ive gutted all the interior from the front seats back, and have race seats installed..And a custom crappy headlight delete kit..(like that matters now anyway)

My 1j swap was just completed about a week ago.. Everything was great after i replaced my bad MAP sensor..

Anyway there is one problem that still lurks..

The dam motor is sweet it pulls very good..Im impressed with the 1J so far.

Wen i stat her up she runs great, i can take it out and smoke the tires right off for a little bit or even wen i let it idle for a while it will start to get bad, not just wen im driving it hard... sooo
It seems that wen the engine gets warmed up it starts to seem like its missing on a couple cyl. and it smokes white smoke out the back, pretty good amount (im running pure water in my coolant system now) It also starts to smell/run REALLY rich wen its missing..
The other night i was letting it idle for awhile to get it warmed up, the wen i went to drive it away it stared to "miss"
Then today i went to give my old man a ride, it ran awsome for a while, it was pulling like it should then about 1-2 min later wen we were driving normal, it started to "miss" studdering and white smoke out the back..Then tonight i went to start it up after it sat for about 30 min, after our ride earlyer.. It fired right up and ran normal, reved out pulled hard ect...

So its getting warmed up and then missing????
Ive got new gapped right plugs,all the coil packs are in awsome shape.. the motor is a low millage one, so all of the accessories ect. are in great shape..

Ill keep troubleshooting and keep u guys updated.
any ideas??

Josh

It runs and shite still but its not running right wen its in this mode..

Well ive done a comp. test and the comp. is all good..

Im going to do a leakdown test

·
HMOOB VWJ NYOB MINNESOTA
1,352 Posts
You might want to try a different ecu.

·
1jz-gte motivation
805 Posts
Post this in the 7m forum section...I think the boys might be able to help you........after they tell you how stupid you are and that you posted in the wrong spot. :)

·
Beats and Rhythm
2,732 Posts
Ive got new gapped right plugs,all the coil packs are in awsome shape.. the motor is a low millage one, so all of the accessories ect. are in great shape..
well if your sure...i would say it might be bad plug.....you might of fowled them out "breaking in" the motor...sometimes when you rebuild a motor and have to keep on cranking it over and over, the gasonline will fowl them out...and carbon will build up on the electrode tip....causing misfires when warm......

Give your knock sensors a test....though your ECU might not be throwing codes...your knock sensors COULD be going haywire.....

just some food for thought.

-Jonathan

·
Trev
1,512 Posts
This isn't posted in the wrong spot...this is the 1JZ section...he has a 1JZ problem. Therefore, he is in the correct spot.

Trev

·
Registered
404 Posts
A 1Jz with a problem? No way, it can't be. Those engines are so way more superior that the 7M. It just can't be.........

·
kaizen Motorsports
1,402 Posts
Cydnei said:
A 1Jz with a problem? No way, it can't be. Those engines are so way more superior that the 7M. It just can't be.........
:blah:

The 1jz is superior!

It's not a mechanical issue, it's the ECU for sure. i saw a similar problem on a clip before. I tested the ECU and it would iddle fine and work fine untill the car warmed up and it would start to miss and it went rich, with that white smoke.

·
Jihad Killer
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well it seems that wen it gets warm and all of that... I do pop a code..

Its code 31 (MAP)??

My 1jz is far better than any 7M...

Anyway!

Well i went to drive it again today, i drove it nice for about 3 miles giving it a little gas here and there. I almost made it back to the house wen bam, the engine kills and runs like totall shyte.. pops a code 31...and does the same thing that i said above..

Then wen i was in my gargae trying to trouble shoot it, i was letting it idle (it barly does in this mode) and my #5 or #6 coil pack started ticking/sparking and started on fire a little.. It was a very little gas fume flame, but how is it getting up and through my coilpack??

Does anybody have a spare ECU that i can swap??? Thats in minnesota..

Hey JZA71 i met you at the track last month at rock falls, i think.. i was the guy with the white MR2. I was talking to your buddie about getting some IC piping a single mani and a Downpipe. made..

Anyway do you know if you have an ECU i can borrow??

Josh
You remember me at all??

·
Registered
259 Posts
Considering #5 and #6 are sparking, I would say that your problem is the coil packs. They tend to crack and seperate in several areas not just the tip by the spark plug. Pull those 2 out and look all around the coil, the sides seperate from the bottom of the pack and the ears where you mount the coils tend to crack also. I've had some luck sealing those areas with some thin epoxy I had. I would also check the vacuum source for the map for any leaks..

·
Jihad Killer
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Coilpacks are in awsome shape, ive pulled them out and checked them multiple times.. Ive just checked all of the MAP wiring and its all good... The vaccume lines are good to..

The car runs awsome for about 5-10 min then goes into this mystery mode???

Im thnking of trying another ECU??

The coilpack only clicks like every once and a while not everytime it gets bad..

Ive replaced the plugs threee times now and they are gapped right..

It sounds like its missing but its getting way to much fuel, i can smell it reallly bad wen it goes into this mode..

Josh

·
1jz-gte motivation
805 Posts
This isn't posted in the wrong spot...this is the 1JZ section...he has a 1JZ problem. Therefore, he is in the correct spot.

I know he posted in the right place...I was simply stating that this problem could have been analyzed by the 7m crew as well because at the time no one had answers for him...Thats all.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Sounds like youre going into limp mode. Try forcing it into the limp mode by unplugging the MAP signal wire to the ECU. If it runs like it does after the 5-10mins then you may at least have narrowed down the problem. MAP sensor could be getting heated and failing. If you have flames around your 5&6 plug then i would swap coils with 1&2 or something and see if it still happens. Thats definitly something to keep your eye on

·
Jihad Killer
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well im pissed and running out of time a patients(Iraq real soon)... Im going to try and get a new ECU..Then see what happens..

I have 2 JDM 3SGTE MAP sensors that i have tryed ( well i tryed one, it fixed it sorta..) It helped it run for the first 5-10 min.. then bam!!! It starts to do what i said before..

Wen its idleing good, i unpluged the MAP sensor and she died.. (good sighn) But wen it gets into this mode it doesnt matter if the MAP is plugged in or not.. Still runs crappy.

I went through my wireing ect.. its all good!! Is there anyway to test an ECU??

I want to get the Power FC but it wont help me if the problem lies elswhere..

My compression in cyl #5 (DRY) is at about 168 maybe a little higher, i cant remeber) all the rest of the cyl. are around 178-180..
Wen i did the test (WET) the comp. went sky high in cyl. #5 (Didnt test the rest)

But the car runs awsome and pulls very nice wen running good..So i dont think that the comp or ring in #5 is bad???

I still have to do a leakdown test to see if its a HG...

But if it was a bad ring or HG wouldnt it act up all of the time??

Josh

·
Jihad Killer
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I do have my MAP sitting on my valve cover just resting there..(for trouble shooting reasons) The vaccume line isnt pinched or anything though..

Do you think that its getting to hot and then acting up wen it gets to hot???

Josh

bean_8044 said:
Sounds like youre going into limp mode. Try forcing it into the limp mode by unplugging the MAP signal wire to the ECU. If it runs like it does after the 5-10mins then you may at least have narrowed down the problem. MAP sensor could be getting heated and failing. If you have flames around your 5&6 plug then i would swap coils with 1&2 or something and see if it still happens. Thats definitly something to keep your eye on

·
Registered
280 Posts
sounds like it may be getting hot. stock location should be on the firewall i think. Itll only take two minutes to move it off and then try it out. it really doesnt sound like anything mechanical is wrong, just electrical.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts