Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i think i have a rod knock. its a LOUD knocking, but not constant to rpms, its not the head or valves, so im guessing its the bottom end.:( i am in the process of pulling the motor now, and i was wondering what are my options on the crank. can i go get it turned and polished with clevite bearings, or will i be wasting my time and money? i heard that once a crank is turned, it wont be able to hold very much power, thus possibly causing a knock agian. is this true? if this is the case, i think i will just buy another 7mgte and drop it in. what do you guys think i have for options? lemme know any info on this at all! thanks alot,
ray

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kewl kewl, did you use toyota bearings, or did you use the clevite ones? how long ago did you turn the crank, and how hard do you drive your car? sorry to be such a pain, just wanna make sure before i decide what to do. thanks

·
Registered
590 Posts
The crank got turned .010 and I put clevite .010+ bearings on it.
I had it turned about 8 or 9 months ago. This was on my N/A, and I give it quite a bit of hell, and its had no problems yet. Make sure they chamfer out the oil passages in the crank when they turn it, otherwise you will eff up your bottom end. Watch your oil level too and you will be golden.

·
the clever guy
782 Posts
Just to add an opinion to the other side: Get your crank checked before you decide to machine it. I took mine to two machinists, one being a veteran engine builder (specialized in 22r), and there was absolutely nothing wrong with it and was still right at the blueprinted factory specs. There's nothing wrong with getting it re-ground but I would make sure the shop was top notch first. There is a ton of discussion archived here also. Personally, I went with toyota bearings and followed the tsrm to a tee. No issues yet but of course I'm only at 600 miles on my latest rebuild. HTH

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kewl kewl, the only reason i want to get clevite bearings are because then i could get the crank machined for all one sized bearing, and then i wont have to worry about the toyota bearings not seating properly because each toyota bearing is made for each rod.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts