Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
LoveHz
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
okay i dont drag race at all dunno how... im having trouble building boost on launch (it not boosting at all)... anyhow this is what i do...

brake (come to stop)
shift to neutral (still braking)
rev up the car ~2krpm (still braking)
shift to drive after car idles normal(still braking)
*horn honk*
press gas pedal
*horn honk*
car almost starts to peel/burn out
*horn honk*
pull foot off brake

i have stock auto... avc-r boost controller set to 19psi... and an safc... im kinda stupid when it comes to this type of stuff... i got 265 wide tires in the back (dunlop fm901)... nothing fancy just a reg tire. i got "some" wheel hop on some of my test runs... i'll be racing a 350z 2006 with 6-speed... he thinks he can take me, cause hes afraid to race me top end after the other night, but thats a different thread. thanks in advance. just worried i might be doing something wrong and dont wanna break anything and wanna do as good as possible... so far what the car feels like is okay... but it dosent pick up as quick as i think it should... but thats just me and the 4krpm lag ;)

·
911 Turbo Now
1,391 Posts
haha NOOOO. never N drop your auto tranny. Supras are dogs out the dig so what you should do is.

Put it in D, rev it as high as your stall will let you, dont sit there and peel out, that will only slow you down.

pull to light
press brake pedal to floor
Feather gas as high as it will go (prob arround 2300 or so i have no idea)
and then lift off the brake.

·
LoveHz
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha NOOOO. never N drop your auto tranny. Supras are dogs out the dig so what you should do is.

Put it in D, rev it as high as your stall will let you, dont sit there and peel out, that will only slow you down.

pull to light
press brake pedal to floor
Feather gas as high as it will go (prob arround 2300 or so i have no idea)
and then lift off the brake.
yeah... i dont neutral drop... should have been little more clear. i shift it to d after it comes back to 650rpm. then i start to rev the car again... :)

·
Banned
1,984 Posts
whats there to practice its a 350z.
Hell an NA will give it a run for its money.

·
LoveHz
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well ive raced my cousin in his 350z and i didnt beat him by much. and then this dude raced my cousin and beat him pretty good. dunno wtf i was doing wrong...

pulling the ebrake gonna help? so far last nights test was better. i was able to start off at about 2200rpm and the car felt better... i'll try the ebrake thing too... thanks for the help.

·
Yes, brothers own Supras
1,910 Posts
should i get a 2-step and then set it to like 2500rpm???
2 steps will not work on an automatic. Unless you have drag radials on, pulling the ebrake is only going to make you spin the tires. It builds up too much boost for most street tires to hold. If you barely beat a regular or bolt on Z then you are doing something VERY wrong or you have issues. At BPU I trapped at 114 on this track. A 350Z is barely breaking 100 mph on a good day.
I keep telling you guys that since we dont have a track anymore you need to at least take the car to the dyno and see where its at. John is come here numerous times and will be back again yet people still dont want to take advantage of that.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Its probably because John is a mahu.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I would have to agree with some of the post here....

If you have 265 tires and running 19psi Brake Boosting will only get you more wheel spin...

and If your having trouble beating a 350z on 19psi you deff have a problem..... seriously

Just line up, grab some chicken nuggets, leave it in Drive, apply the brake give it a little gas (not a lot), then just let the car roll out and go into boost at 4k buy 2nd you should be blowing past him... If not see what's wrong with your car...

·
Registered
866 Posts
I would have to agree with some of the post here....

If you have 265 tires and running 19psi Brake Boosting will only get you more wheel spin...

and If your having trouble beating a 350z on 19psi you deff have a problem..... seriously

Just line up, grab some chicken nuggets, leave it in Drive, apply the brake give it a little gas (not a lot), then just let the car roll out and go into boost at 4k buy 2nd you should be blowing past him... If not see what's wrong with your car...
The new 350Z is to run with a good driver [email protected]

Just practice as you are now, and get to to where you have the least amount of wheel spin.

Oh and pull that trac fues :angel:

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
I tried both ways and my best time is if I just left the shifter on Drive. Turn off overdrive and remove your trac fuse.

Here's how I do it.

Step on the brake pedal. Step on the gas pedal until you reach about 3000 rpm.
Release the brakes as soon as you get the go signal and push the gas pedal all the way down.

Good luck!

·
LoveHz
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
no trac pump in my car... :)
fuse is gone too... :)
we dont have a "real" 1/4 mile... i believe the road we are on is an 1/8th mile... so thats why im having a hard time cause of the lag at the start. we start braking at about 80mph... thats a long ways from 114. i really dont think something is wrong with the car... top end is good i.e. freeway. been smoking m3's, g35, 350'z, turbo civics/ludes... im just new to drag racing... so i just dont want to damage anything, but i wanna do the best i can too...

fwiw... i raced a newer mustang gt... beat him pretty good on the road from a dig. thanks to everyone for their help.

·
4,109 Posts
brake (come to stop)
shift to neutral (still braking)
rev up the car ~2krpm (still braking)
shift to drive after car idles normal(still braking)

*horn honk*
press gas pedal
*horn honk*
car almost starts to peel/burn out
*horn honk*
pull foot off brake
I'm uncertain as to why you would do this part...what is it supposed to do? Not trying to be a dick, just genuinely curious

·
Senior Spooler
1,206 Posts
Find a 2 mile straight ......be done with it. Take off in- park- if you want....still catch him while eating your ten piece , w/ sweet and sour.....

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I'm uncertain as to why you would do this part...what is it supposed to do? Not trying to be a dick, just genuinely curious
IIRC, the reasoning behind this is when free-rev it and let off it pulls a slight bit more vacuum than just idling and that lets you mash the brake down just a little bit more to help hold the car still at the line.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
IIRC, the reasoning behind this is when free-rev it and let off it pulls a slight bit more vacuum than just idling and that lets you mash the brake down just a little bit more to help hold the car still at the line.
Interesting...I didn't know that....

·
4,109 Posts
Neither did I...thanks man:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts