Supra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short - I have a 1996 Supra RZ. Last night, someone drove into my front left side as I was making a right turn. I had green, the other guy claims he had green. I have CTP, he has Suncorp, he's an Uber driver and the car is registered for "booked hire". The horror pics are attached. Supra got towed to a holding depot. Luckily no people were hurt, the other guy's airbags didn't even deploy, so it wasn't a high speed collision. His bumper is messed up, there was stuff leaking out, so he's got towed, too. The other car was MG HS wagon, 2020.

I'm kinda feeling lost here. I haven't been in an accident since 2000 or so, I don't even know what to do now. There was no police called on the scene (which was kind of stupid, I now gather, but hey, I was dazed and shocked at the time). I'm about to go back to that crossroad, see if there are any cameras, then go to the police station and file the road accident report, then go about finding a mechanic / panel beater who can fix this, and try and see what fixing the damage is gonna cost me.

Questions:
1 - can anyone recommend a lawyer who's good at this kind of thing? Unless there's a camera footage, it's going to be what I said vs. what the other guy said, and I don't think it's a good idea for a lone man to fight a big insurance company.
2 - if I'm found in the wrong (which I'm very positive I wasn't, but shit happens), what would I have to pay, considering he's got insurance? What's the WORST situation I might find myself in?
3 - the car is almost vintage now, so parts are rare and expensive, and I don't even know if there are mechanics who would say "yeah, we can fix this". So, can anyone get a recommendation for a good mechanic on the Gold Coast who does this sort of repairs on old JDMs, Supras specifically?

The holding yard starts charging $88 per day after 72 hours, and the shitty thing is, it's Friday, so I have like 1 day to find someone to have a look at it (I'll even drive them to the yard myself) and see if they'll take the job, - so I can tow the car to their shop.

I'd appreciate any help and advice in this. FML....

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Land vehicle

·
Registered
276 Posts
Sorry to hear about this. I have seen Supras get fixed with far more damage. From the pics it looks like you will want a new fender, new door, driver side apron pulled out along with new suspension components on that side.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
That's a tough one, whenever someone doesn't blatantly take blame with witnesses that give contact info, cops are definitely required but, it is what it is. If the frame rails buckled at all where the shock tower meets, it's likely totaled but it sounds like you are planning to have it rebuilt regardless. To answer your questions:

1 - I'm in the states so you'd need someone local for a good attorney referral, probably speak with your insurance company first, they have in house legal teams that will at least give you some advice.
2 - Since you both have insurance, not much can really happen to you personally unless you were drunk or obviously at fault, your insurance company should and will handle most everything behind the scenes.
3 - Again, you'll have to shop locally for good reviews and probably just call around, hopefully someone here will have some insight.

The insurance company should/might cover or reimburse for any holding fee's at the wrecking yard but, if it's a stressor, maybe have it towed to your house or a friends place with some extra parking.

·
Registered
1993 JDM 5spd SZ hardtop in 202 blek.
398 Posts
Bugger. It doesn't look 'that' bad and I'd be very surprised if it was not repairable.

Did you not have insurance? If so, just let them chase the other guy. You shouldn't have to prove anything.

Do you have facebook? I'd recommend asking about reputable repairers on one of the Australian Supra groups. As much as I would wish it, there's just not much Australian traffic on these forums.

There's a guy called Ross Ane Galbraith who is in Brisbane. He would absolutely have the front quarter panel and door for you and I would recommend reaching out to him. He could possibly recommend you a smash repair shop also. Good luck.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Damn son...get a front and rear dash cam after you get this thing repaired. Viofo A119 is great, especially considering that there are only really three or four actual dash cam manufacturers that then get resold as different brands.
best insurance policy you can get

1 - 9 of 9 Posts