Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
HMOOB VWJ NYOB MINNESOTA
1,352 Posts
Or take a look at the Differential and it should have a LSD sticker on there.

·
Boostin' to the limit!
482 Posts
jza71 said:
Or take a look at the Differential and it should have a LSD sticker on there.
Easiest way to do it. Or if you want, jack the car up and if you turn one wheel by hand and the other one turns, you have an LSD.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
TRD White Comet said:
Easiest way to do it. Or if you want, jack the car up and if you turn one wheel by hand and the other one turns, you have an LSD.
both wheels will turn either way, but with an lsd, the other wheel will turn in the same direction whereas with an open diff, the other wheel will turn in the opposite direction

i disagree with this being the easiest way to tell, mine did NOT have that stupid sticker, and i was like fine, then i'll do one wheel burn outs, and sure enough, two equal patches were left.

·
Boostin' to the limit!
482 Posts
di_rosa said:
both wheels will turn either way, but with an lsd, the other wheel will turn in the same direction whereas with an open diff, the other wheel will turn in the opposite direction

i disagree with this being the easiest way to tell, mine did NOT have that stupid sticker, and i was like fine, then i'll do one wheel burn outs, and sure enough, two equal patches were left.
I too did not have the LSD sticker on my '87 so I did the procedure in my first post. Which reminded me of a very funny incident that happened at my friend's shop. He had his heavily modded mkiv on a lift, and I just so happened to turn the rear wheel, when THAT was the only thing turning, me and my friend was like.... :wtflol:

·
way over budget
664 Posts
60-1 Teg said:
do a nice burnout and look if you leave 2 equal marks
definately the most fun way to check!! I also recommend shifting to second and turning once you get some smoke going, it'll be fun, i promise.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL ok guys thanx ill try all of these tell you what is the funest in my oppion :)

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
Check the firewall, it will say G[XX]4 for non-LSD and G[XX]5 for LSD. The XX tell you the gear ratio, check Google if you want to know more about Toyota's differential code definitions.

·
desufnoC
1,842 Posts
Jeff Lange said:
Check the firewall, it will say G[XX]4 for non-LSD and G[XX]5 for LSD. The XX tell you the gear ratio, check Google if you want to know more about Toyota's differential code definitions.
How boring, I'm pretty sure Jeff is wrong on this one, better just do a burnout to be on the safe side :D

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
di_rosa said:
OK if thats true then how come i tryed that and both turned opposite ways then when i just did my burn out i layed down to nice looking marks :) explain that one?

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
An open diff can still do 2 marks, it's not the best way to tell. Do it around a corner for a more foolproof way.

If they spin opposite it means the LSD it worn out, or it's an open diff. The LSD tag could be removed.

The best way to tell is the firewall, but that will still only tell you if the car came with it from the factory, it could have been swapped in or out.

Oh yeah, and one other thing, all Turbos had LSD, it was optional and part of the sport package on N/A's, just in case anyone else is wondering.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i have a 1986.5 N/a but the fire wall on mine only has:
JT2MA7G0000789
MODEL:1A70L-BLMVFA
c/tr/a/tm:3H1/FD12/G284/W58

i figure the tm = transmission cause i have the W58 but the rest are what is on there is any of that LSD or no LSD? jeff any ideas?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BTW i did a search and found nothing? is my 86.5 wierd?

3,796 Posts
MnDriver said:
What is a way i can tell if i have LSD?
Put a drop on your tongue and get back to us in a few hours.

·
Boost Addict
622 Posts
MnDriver said:
i have a 1986.5 N/a but the fire wall on mine only has:
JT2MA7G0000789
MODEL:1A70L-BLMVFA
c/tr/a/tm:3H1/FD12/G284/W58

i figure the tm = transmission cause i have the W58 but the rest are what is on there is any of that LSD or no LSD? jeff any ideas?

The G284 designates that it has no LSD from the factory.

Jeff Lange said:

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
CassMori said:
The G284 designates that it has no LSD from the factory.
k,thanx my supra is wierd two wheels burn out but no lsd wtf lol o well who cares. still does it.

·
Boost Addict
622 Posts
MnDriver said:
k,thanx my supra is wierd two wheels burn out but no lsd wtf lol o well who cares. still does it.
someone may have swapped one in at some point. It was rumored that this had been done to mine, but once I got it off the ground & checked, no LSD :(

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
As Jeff previously stated, u can still get 2 wheel marks from a burnout with an open differential. Checking the plate and the differential are the best ways to be sure (Obviously checking the differential is a DEFINETE way of knowing).

EDIT: Heh, on a side note, even an LSD can do 1 wheel burnouts (Happens when the LSD dies :freak: )

1 - 20 of 28 Posts