Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
RoastBeefCurtain Commando
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a spin off from my other thread, but I ended up getting this 05 EVO out of the others and STI's I was looking at
Its deff gonna take some getting used to compared to my truck and luxurty vehicles I had. Been a while since I drove a car like this.

Also some questions:
Does anyone know a mod on Evolutionm.net? I cant seem to get registered there for the life of me. They denied me at first for some reason. Then ignored my second request after responding to the email? WTF< I have never been denied for a forum before.

Since I cant log into there, does anyone know anything about Forge Motorsports BOV's? I gotta figure this thing out or chuck it. It just seems to surge like crazy. In 4th-5th gear and giving like mid boost it will surge and unload like crazy. I had it all the way tight and loosened it up and does not seem to help. Here is the link to the one the car has. http://www.forgemotorsport.com/content.asp?inc=product&cat=0006&product=FMDVRSR

Its on an FP green turbo and recirculates if that helps. Can you get stiff springs?

Also first mods when i get time is to try to refinish some of the curb rash and paint the wheels gun metal or black. Remove the stickers from the back windows. Paintr or replace the tails and replace the stereo as it blows!

·
Wheel Whore
2,313 Posts
Very nice find! FYI and it could be a possibility because this happened with the last evo I bought, it did come with the same blow off valve, but the previous owner installed it backwards. And he had it installed upside down and it would surge like crazy.

·
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Edited now that I looked at it.
I never did a recirc BOV before, so I guess this is right, but IMO makes sense why it would surge.

The bottom port of the BOV is connected to the main charge pipe to the throttle body. The recirc port goes back to the intake pipe coming off the turbo I guess so it gets metered by the MAF. Now what kicks me is , it looks like a shit load of air is gonna hit back into the turbo rather then at the meter which makes perfect sense to me why this is happening.

Also the vac line is T'd off the brake booster. So its a good vac source, but I dunno if needed from there for a BOV.

Also how do these cars run non circulated? Is it gonna stall out on me? Im willing to bet that is causing some of the problem if not all of it just looking at it.
Ughhhh. this is why I try to stay away from MAF'd cars. lol

·
Super Moderator
5,991 Posts
What username were you trying to register under on Evom?

Also, about the Forge Recirc. valve - they are very commonly installed backwards. Meaning, the outlet/inlet are hooked up backwards or the valve is turned the wrong direction.

·
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What username were you trying to register under on Evom?

Also, about the Forge Recirc. valve - they are very commonly installed backwards. Meaning, the outlet/inlet are hooked up backwards or the valve is turned the wrong direction.
PM-Performance
If you can contact someone for me, I would appreciate it. I literally prob have 20-30k posts on a total of 3 forums and shouldnt be this hard. lol

Which way should it go? I would think its hooked up right? Bottom port to the throttle body pipe and recirc port to the MAF pipe to re meter the blown air.
Correct?

·
Wheel Whore
2,313 Posts
The portion of the blow off valve that blow air out, should go into the MAF pipe, while the other side should go into the charge pipe. Leaving it uncirculated will make the car run a little rich and in some cases mess with your tune if you have some sort of ECU reflash. My car also had the HKS EIDS.

·
2JZ swapped!
879 Posts
Looks good. EvoM always has alot of wheel blow-outs for Volks, Works, and Advans. Wheels are really what set an evo off.

Car looks pretty well modded already, hardpipes, manifold, intake pipe, IC, exhaust, tune, FP green, and a relocated battery. What else?

·
In for teh nudez.
286 Posts
How much are Evos going for nowadays? Seems like everyone and their mom owns one, now I'm definitely not getting one now.

Are they that affordable now?

·
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Price wise I got mine for $20.5. Has most of the stock parts too and has new snow tires.

Mods:
FP green
Precision 680's
Megan 3 inch DP and Exhaust (no cat)
Forget the brand of 02 housing
AEM wideband and like a Megan Boost gauge (getting tossed)
Injen hardpipes
Forge Motorsports BOV (getting tossed)
Eibach springs (getting tossed eventually)
World Motorsports boost controller
Apexi turbo timer
Koyo radiator
upgraded front motor mount (forget brand)
ACT clutch with steel line
Azenis RT515 tires
EBC red stuff pads

i think thats about it. tuned on ECU flash extremely rich. Im gonna lean it out today at lunch maybe.

·
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I talked to Forged and they said to back the BOV off more. I told them i went like 7 clicks back and didnt help, but he said the spring stock has a range of like 7-34psi. So he said if it was at full tight and only went that far back, to go back to full loose and test from there.

Im gonna lean it out like 1.5pts today at lunch and put the BOV back to loose and see how she runs.

·
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I already tinkered with a few things.
Opened the BOV so now that it working better. Getting closer atleast in increments.
Also leaned out the fuel maps to run hi 11's to 12.0 in full boost. Could use someone to clean them up, but it runs good. would like to tinker with timing maps one day, but I wont do those myself.
Put a new Cd player in and prob will do components as the stockers blow!!

The car deff pulls, but its hard to compare to my supra or my z. deff different kind of power band, but no doubt its making pretty damn good power as is.

Things on my list to do over the next few weeks are to black out the tails for sure and possibly the headlights too. Also gonna paint the wheels black or gun metal.
I wanna find a way to loosen the shift linkage or shifter. Its a little tight for my likings and harder to bang gears.
Also gonna drain and renew all the drivetrain fluids.

I gotta say , it deff feels like a 4 dr go cart though. Its a love/hate thing so far. Feels weird driving my truck now. but I appreciate it a little more now. lol

·
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Blue evo's need chrome, bronze, gold, or white rims. Black rims on an all blue car just don't go right.
You dont find these sexy?
I agree gold wheels would look good too, but tooo Suby looking

This first one is basically what mine would look like without the tails done.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
The last one is passable only because it at least has the smoked tails, carbon trunk, and carbon wing to tie the gunmetal color of the wheels too.

I'm not a fan of black wheels on cars that don't have some other dark aspect to them to coordinate with the wheels, especially on medium toned vehicles in blue,red, or green. Silver, white, black all look fine with black or gunmetal wheels as they can help give the car that mechanical industrial look to it.

Of course I've got a blue car with black wheels, but I've matched my wheels to the black fender flares, black roof, and carbon hood and mirrors. But back when it was almost all blue I had a set of bronze rims on it.

then

In the end though it's your car and you should do what makes you happy. I'm just throwing around my opinion to hear myself talk :D

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
get a synapse bov. My mr2 would get surge w/ even the oem bov. After I threw on the synapse and recirculated it the surge is all gone.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts