Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
scksupe
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got my 86 n/a supra back up and running after a bhg but i have one problem it is leaking oil real bad. could this be due to the fact that i have to retorque the head down after letting the motor get warm? what is the best torque to torque the head down with stock head bolts adn a head gasket that i got from advanced auto? thanks a lot

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Where is the oil coming from. You shouldnt have to retorque the head. Did you use arp studs on the head?

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
what kind of bolts/studs used?
what kind of headgasket?
is the head machined?

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
bandwagonpilot said:
Most likely a Felpro HG, please tell my you didn't reuse the bolts. Where is the oil coming from?
:werd:

·
scksupe
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the oil is leaking near the distributor. There is a big puddle, and yes I did reuse the factory bolts.

·
BMM
2,329 Posts
:faint:

how big is the puddle? and is it constant or just when running?

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
man o man, u reused the bolts eh :faint:

that could be the cause man, old bolts are streched out once there torqued in, and u reused them bad bad idea.. takem out and get new ones..

·
scksupe
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
where can I get a good ARP stud kit at? which website can I order them from at a decent price?

·
scksupe
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
which ones do I need off of www.arp-bolts.com
203-4701 head studs
203-3902 cylinder head bolts

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
get studs

·
scksupe
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
how hard is it to put the studs in, what nuts do i use and how much are they? The site didn't list the prices.

·
Registered
95 Posts
you can reuse the stock bolts! they are not throw away items. toyota 's stock torque spec for the head bolts is way below the max for these bolts .it's been covered in another thread awhile ago. I reused mine torqued to 72 ft/lb and have run 10-12 psi boost with no problems. I have over 6k on the rebuild with out any head bolt issues just retorque them after afew hundred miles.

·
BMM
2,329 Posts
^ yes but, you may have gotten lucky and he might not have been so fortunate.

i say get new bolts/studs

·
scksupe
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So could the oil be leaking from the head, or could it be leaking from somewhere else? It is only leaking from the passenger side of the motor near the front, under the distributor.

·
tire killer
437 Posts
right now i am having the same problem with the mystery oil leak. i am sure that it is not coming from the head. otherwise i am just stumped where it is leaking from :wtf:

on topic tho i would also say go with arp bolts for the n/a. thats what i used :)

-shane

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Did you take the distributor out of the cylinder head while doing the HG swap?
If so, I can almost (almost) garauntee that you just need to replace the distributor shaft O-ring. It's a big-ass Oring that gets hard and brittle, and the oil will just flow past it and onto your driveway, especially if it got chipped going back in.

·
scksupe
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
it is a new distributor and o ring, but i was wondering if putting too much oil in the car after doing an oil change could cause the excess oil to come out i know hte manual says to put like 4.5 qts or something like that but i accidently put 5 qts in there could this be where it is coming from

1 - 20 of 22 Posts