Supra Forums banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
I won't use one..... I thought the idea was romantic, but it's bluetooth, so I don't trust it. Bluetooth is for shit you don't care about and isn't "mission critical". Losing stuff that's important because bluetooth failed to be better at it's job is not something that sounds very exciting for me, in fact it makes me kinda go limp. Sorry. I'm very aware of what Tile is and what it does.... and I know people that have them personally.

I wouldn't trust the security of being able to track my stolen vehicle to the bluetooth protocol, and anyone that has studied radio/wireless that would vouch for bluetooth being a good protocol/hardware for this application is either not good with radio/wireless, lying, or should study more because they're a beginner still. I've met people with 30 years of experience at stuff that I would call beginners in the tech field.

edit: not suggesting you don't know what you're talking about.... but I am suggesting that people get emotionally attached and will vehemently defend things they've spent their own money on. I've seen that same attitude across many communities and hobbies.

You won't hear very many "prosumers" say "i bought the wrong shit, this isn't very good, I should have never bought this after I spent all that money on it and time studying/deciding which thing was the best to buy." You hear quite the opposite, they instantly become the authority on all things dealing in that realm.

The big flaw in your Tile device is that not everyone in the world is using the Tile app with bluetooth turned on. This will prevent the device from reporting it's unique id back through the network. A perfect way to steal anything with a Tile on it/in it, is to just take it outside of any major city. Done deal, too easy. Thank you bluetooth and Tile app.

Another thing worth noting is that a faraday cage would easily block any wireless signals, defeating any sort of wirelessly connected anti-theft device, bluetooth or not. Also, your tile, when not connected to a bluetooth source may continually look for one at high power, and spend it's battery life doing so. It will basically shit the bed if the designers didn't specifically account for this. It then becomes a trade off of whether or not you want to send a call home beacon once every day or.... burn the battery up calling home every 30 seconds. From an engineering perspective, to make money, you'd make it all home every 30 seconds so the device's battery wears out faster forcing the consumer to buy a new unity more often than they would if the battery lasted longer.

·
Registered
630 Posts
A colleague at work just has two stolen jet-skis recovered with Tile. They were in a rented garage several towns away - someone with the Tile app on their phone must have driven past because he got a ping for their location.

He and a detective in that town cruised around, got another ping from yet another drive-by person with the Tile app. They drove to that location, found a set of garages, started walking the line of them with their phones. Bingo - it ID'd the locked garage door. 10 minutes later they had a warrant, and 10 minutes after that the property owner used a bolt-cutter to cut the lock off. There they were.

PLUS - two others stolen some weeks earlier from my buddy's neighbor.

The culprit was arrested last week. 2 counts of $20k+ larceny, while on probation after getting out of jail after serving 10 years of a 12-year sentence. Too bad so sad.

I now have a couple of Tiles in each of our cars.

If Google were to buy them or just implement the same tech, then every android phone could be scanning for Tiles ...

·
iSPOOL
1,067 Posts
If Google were to buy them or just implement the same tech, then every android phone could be scanning for Tiles ...
All I could think of was this when reading your post lol.

·
Blue Thunder
3,433 Posts
A colleague at work just has two stolen jet-skis recovered with Tile. They were in a rented garage several towns away - someone with the Tile app on their phone must have driven past because he got a ping for their location.

He and a detective in that town cruised around, got another ping from yet another drive-by person with the Tile app. They drove to that location, found a set of garages, started walking the line of them with their phones. Bingo - it ID'd the locked garage door. 10 minutes later they had a warrant, and 10 minutes after that the property owner used a bolt-cutter to cut the lock off. There they were.

PLUS - two others stolen some weeks earlier from my buddy's neighbor.

The culprit was arrested last week. 2 counts of $20k+ larceny, while on probation after getting out of jail after serving 10 years of a 12-year sentence. Too bad so sad.

I now have a couple of Tiles in each of our cars.

Thanks for proving my point !!! For some reason Flux is got a burr up his ass abt tiles working. And for the record.... I NEVER said for it to be your main GPS/Alarm system...just a cheap backup.

Any system has flaws. It's what you do to mitigate those flaws that helps. A cell phone attached to the car's battery is USELESS when they undo the battery and your cellphone dies.
My tile in my MKII is going strong still...even after it's year of batt life is up.
Thre may not be many people in the Tile community...but it only takes ONE near your car for it to be worth the $20 a Tile cost.
Or pay for the monthly monitoring sevrice and get more piece of mind.

It works for me, hence the reason i praise it.
I guess haters gonna hate...aka Flux !!! LOL

41 - 45 of 45 Posts