Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
powered down
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This and the CD009 seem to be the most talked swap for the MKIV Supra these days and I wanted to give my feedback of my install of the T56 Magnum by Grannas racing.

First off, Joel is GREAT to deal with. He answered all my questions and concerns and got back with me ASAP.

As for the install, this was also quite easy and ZERO tunnel modifications had to be made (only had to tap slightly on the shifter area opening) to make room for the SIKKY short shifter. that is the only modification I had to make to entire car! Bell housing and trans fits in nicely and I really like the fact that bell housing goes on first (makes install way easier).kit comes with all nuts, bolts and wiring which is nice (takes all guess work out).

Now, how does it drive? For me, I like the nice crisp shifts, it would be damn hard to miss a gear with this trans and a the SIKKY shifter. The trans is also very quiet compared the tripod R154 I removed.

EDIT 11/30/18: First video series is live of what comes in the GRANAS Racing T56 Magnum kit for the MIIV Supra.

EDIT 12/3/18 Install video for the T56 Magnum

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts

·
powered down
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to hear. I was in his Halloween group buy and have the gr700 kit sitting in my garage right now. I bought a transmission jack for Black Friday. Once it shows up I plan on starting the swap. Unfortunately I live in Vermont so I won't really be able to drive the car til April. Did you buy this component too when you did your swap?

https://www.grannasracing.com/collections/t56-magnum-transmission-swap-parts/products/transmission-tunnel-cover-for-gr-series-swaps
My car was a manual before so I didn't have to cut up my center area like an automatic guy has to.

I will be releasing a series of how to install the trans this week on my YouTube channel.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I will probably be doing this swap as well. I love the Instagram and youtube videos you share... We have very similar platforms.

Love the car and look forward to more feedback on the trans.

(Gibbyson87 on Instagram)

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
Wish this would have been available when I did my v160 swap. Scarex to death to beat on the V, this.....id beat it like it owed me money.

·
handy with the steel
339 Posts
Trans is quiet?

What flywheel/clutch/fluid are you running?

I am on an OSG TR2CD (lightweight flywheel) and I've got that jar-o-marbles thing going on big time!

·
powered down
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Running the Clutch Master FX300 full face clutch with Clutch Master lightened flywheel.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yea, I have the swap with the OSG triple disk, it is definitely not quiet. Also check your shifter play while the car is in gear, mine is pretty sloppy. I am however grateful for this kit as the V160 costs are just insane these days.

·
Boost Junkie
12,377 Posts
Thanks for posting.

Steve

·
Administrator
8,312 Posts
used 6spd v160s in nice shape are sitting on facebook for 5k or less these days.

Still nice job Ryan and congrats on finally being an adult with all your gears. Can't wait for your video and continue to making fun of you giving your shift knob a titty twister when shifting on IG.

Matt aka Sick_6

·
powered down
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
I appreciate this swap so much more after Joel had a shift knob made to look OEM as possible. Makes me want to find a clean targa auto car and swap to Joel kit.

·
Registered
93 Posts
What fluid did you end up using? I'm trying to figure out what to buy for this weekend. On Tremec's website:

"A: For all TKO 5-speed models, TREMEC recommends GM Synchromesh™ (GM Part # 88861800) – or equivalent, or Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. For all other aftermarket models we recommend Dexron III ATF"

So I assume this means a Dexron III ATF which is more of a guideline than a brand. From what I understand GM let their trademark run out in 2006. Dexron IV came out and people were saying to use that instead of Dexron III. Then they realized that was the wrong thing to do, and GM came out with GM Part# 88861800 to use instead. However if that is what we are supposed to use, then why does Tremec say "For all other aftermarket models we recommend Dexron III ATF"?

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/2790333-transmission-oil-type-z06-dexroniii-or-this-p-88861800-a.html

·
powered down
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I appreciate this swap so much more after Joel had a shift knob made to look OEM as possible. Makes me want to find a clean targa auto car and swap to Joel kit.
It was a huge selling point for me also. I hated the non OEM look of the Tremec ball in the interior of the car.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts