Supra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
powered down
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
What fluid did you end up using? I'm trying to figure out what to buy for this weekend. On Tremec's website:

"A: For all TKO 5-speed models, TREMEC recommends GM Synchromesh™ (GM Part # 88861800) – or equivalent, or Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. For all other aftermarket models we recommend Dexron III ATF"

So I assume this means a Dexron III ATF which is more of a guideline than a brand. From what I understand GM let their trademark run out in 2006. Dexron IV came out and people were saying to use that instead of Dexron III. Then they realized that was the wrong thing to do, and GM came out with GM Part# 88861800 to use instead. However if that is what we are supposed to use, then why does Tremec say "For all other aftermarket models we recommend Dexron III ATF"?

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/2790333-transmission-oil-type-z06-dexroniii-or-this-p-88861800-a.html
I used MOBIL 1 ATF fluid and so far so good.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I appreciate this swap so much more after Joel had a shift knob made to look OEM as possible. Makes me want to find a clean targa auto car and swap to Joel kit.
YES! Before Joel had the custom knobs made, I was using the OEM knob with a thread adapter. Love the factory look.

·
i recorded mark7m001.mp3
2,027 Posts
question, do you remember off them OEM connector, which color wires was the speed signal, and which was the signal ground? (For the Dakota box)

If you don’t remember no worries

·
Inline for the win
4,682 Posts
I used MOBIL 1 ATF fluid and so far so good.
You will want to use Mobil 1 or Texaco/Havoline ATF. I know first hand from years of testing and manufacturing of the synchronizers used in T56, TR6060s and T5 with regards to durability and shift-ability. Single, Double and Triple cone assemblies with carbon lining, etc...

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
You will want to use Mobil 1 or Texaco/Havoline ATF. I know first hand from years of testing and manufacturing of the synchronizers used in T56, TR6060s and T5 with regards to durability and shift-ability. Single, Double and Triple cone assemblies with carbon lining, etc...
Just had this conversation yesterday with a trans builder since depending on which t56 had paper vs carbon lining.

·
Inline for the win
4,682 Posts
Just had this conversation yesterday with a trans builder since depending on which t56 had paper vs carbon lining.
Exactly. Some also had double in the lower vs the upgraded yet standard triple cone setups.

·
Hardtopper
2,472 Posts
I've been somewhat considering this swap now that I'm shifting (no pun intended) away from 1/2 mile and back to 1/4 mile. Aside from what's already in the car, I have a spare V160, diff and axles and could unload all of it and do the GR1000, 9" rear end, keep my Tilton triple carbon and probably still have some cash left over. I've had great success with the V160 and I love the way it feels, but I am worried about breakage with the parts drying up. I totally love the way the TR6060 feels in my ZR1, but I've heard the shifter feel on these swaps is pretty terrible...? FWIW, I've hated every single short-shifter I've ever tried in any car and have always gone back to stock --- at least a dozen different cars/trans/shifters over the years. HATED them all.. I feel like I'd have to actually try one of these setups out before committing, that that's not terribly realistic.

RE: trans fluid --- Amsoil Torque-Drive came highly recommended for the TR6060 in the Corvette. I recently swapped for the OEM fill and I've been very happy with it. Not sure if that's applicable for these trans.

·
powered down
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
For anyone looking for detailed info on this kit and how to install it at home. I have crated a build series for GRANNAS Racing, the latest video of "whats in the Kit" can be seen below on my YouTube channel. i will also have the step by step how to install video coming out this Sunday.

The video Sunday will show, how to wire in the SGI box, modifying the reverse lock out and fixing the breather tube on the T56 Magnum so that the shifter doesn't leak.

·
powered down
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
question, do you remember off them OEM connector, which color wires was the speed signal, and which was the signal ground? (For the Dakota box)

If you don’t remember no worries
For the SGI box it doesn't matter. The wire can be either or (ill be showing this in detail in my video on Sunday)

·
powered down
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Good to know! I was going to buy pricey Amsoil, but Ben Calimer of Calimer Tranmissions (big name in the mustang world) lives a mile from my house and said he uses nothing, but MOBIL 1. Him being so close and being one of the biggest transmission guys in the country (specific for the T56 Magnum and Mustang GETRAG) made me lean on this route more the buying a used V160.

·
Administrator
8,310 Posts
Good to know! I was going to buy pricey Amsoil, but Ben Calimer of Calimer Tranmissions (big name in the mustang world) lives a mile from my house and said he uses nothing, but MOBIL 1. Him being so close and being one of the biggest transmission guys in the country (specific for the T56 Magnum and Mustang GETRAG) made me lean on this route more the buying a used V160.
I'd imagine a domestic guy would naturally lean towards the domestic transmission. I don't knock your decision one bit considering the car wasn't a v160 from the factory but I also think people make the v160 discontinued-ness issue a mountain out of a mole hill. The v160 has been ridiculously reliable for the past 25 years. If your not drag racing them hard making 900lb ft of torque or shifting/clutching like you hate your 2nd baby mama they just work great for 95% of the users. Plus as an added bonus they are OE to the car and brand. V160 prices have come down in recent months to where you can generally find them posted around facebook or forums for the 4000-5000 mark for a used one.

Not to detract from your tremec install one bit Ryan, I commend you for taking the plunge and helping Joel promote his brand by sponsoring you. Its great to have another option out there for people who don't want/scared/can't afford the v160. Ballpark what is your total investment in this project if you were an average joe off the street buying this setup from grannas? I'm talking shipping costs included.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
^^Fast Turbo, well said.

These t56 and other variants are great for MKIV owners on a budget. Also, you have to love how all these knock off 6-speeds attempt to look like an original, getrag equipped car.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had mine installed by Joel with a OSG triple disk. Cost was $10k with all the trimmings(factory auto car). This included pick up and delivery in Virginia. It also included some after install support that was top-notch.

·
handy with the steel
338 Posts
Ballpark what is your total investment in this project if you were an average joe off the street buying this setup from grannas? I'm talking shipping costs included.
This is influenced greatly by clutch choice, but I can tell you mine with the OSG TR2CD was ~$8k, although Joel was running a special at the time where he threw in several items at no charge, supposedly $600 worth.

·
Registered
24 Posts
All this being said, I am restoring a 1997 original tt 6-speed roller, it is most certainly going to get a V160 if I can source a non-trashed unit for a decent price.

·
handy with the steel
338 Posts
The video Sunday will show... fixing the breather tube on the T56 Magnum so that the shifter doesn't leak.
:eek: very interested in this!

I've been trying to figure out why mine leaks, thought I didn't apply sealant properly!

·
powered down
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
I'd imagine a domestic guy would naturally lean towards the domestic transmission. I don't knock your decision one bit considering the car wasn't a v160 from the factory but I also think people make the v160 discontinued-ness issue a mountain out of a mole hill. The v160 has been ridiculously reliable for the past 25 years. If your not drag racing them hard making 900lb ft of torque or shifting/clutching like you hate your 2nd baby mama they just work great for 95% of the users. Plus as an added bonus they are OE to the car and brand. V160 prices have come down in recent months to where you can generally find them posted around facebook or forums for the 4000-5000 mark for a used one.

Not to detract from your tremec install one bit Ryan, I commend you for taking the plunge and helping Joel promote his brand by sponsoring you. Its great to have another option out there for people who don't want/scared/can't afford the v160. Ballpark what is your total investment in this project if you were an average joe off the street buying this setup from grannas? I'm talking shipping costs included.
No I get it! The V160 is very stout trans, but it's hard rolling the dice on used trans for 4-5k hoping all is good when you can buy a brand new T56 magnum for 3k shipped (obviously doesn't include all the other swap parts) but once you have those parts they don't go bad per say just like the mounting parts for a V160.

Like you said, since my car isn't a original TT 6 speed it doesn't affect my value much.

Also, Ben didn't knock the V160, he merely stated that the t56 magnum doesn't have gear lock out a high revs like so many say it does (he revs his coyote mustang to 10k) and isn't the issue ridden T56 that comes in the older vipers, 03-04 terminators and F body GM sports cars.

·
Administrator
8,310 Posts
No I get it! The V160 is very stout trans, but it's hard rolling the dice on used trans for 4-5k hoping all is good when you can buy a brand new T56 magnum for 3k shipped (obviously doesn't include all the other swap parts) but once you have those parts they don't go bad per say just like the mounting parts for a V160.

Like you said, since my car isn't a original TT 6 speed it doesn't affect my value much.

Also, Ben didn't knock the V160, he merely stated that the t56 magnum doesn't have gear lock out a high revs like so many say it does (he revs his coyote mustang to 10k) and isn't the issue ridden T56 that comes in the older vipers, 03-04 terminators and F body GM sports cars.
Roger that man, and side note your engine bay is looking something awesome. You would quickly embarrass my 44k mile engine bay on my 94 Alpine TT!

Would like to see in person one of these years at a northeast meet.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts