Supra Forums banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
powered down
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Roger that man, and side note your engine bay is looking something awesome. You would quickly embarrass my 44k mile engine bay on my 94 Alpine TT!

Would like to see in person one of these years at a northeast meet.
Goal is to make it to the event this year!

·
powered down
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Last video is done and uploaded on how to install the T56 Magnum ( I have also added the video at the beginning)

·
Registered
675 Posts
This is not an insult to the kit but are people starting to be open to this swap? It does make sense but a few things I would change if I bought the kit myself, such as hardware and the shifter situation. There has been some reports of the shifter mechanism bolts coming loose

I recall before that people were against it. I do understand why from the purist point.

This swap does make sense now because you can store the V160 and beat the daylight out of this trans.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thanks for answering my youtube question about the breather tube oring. I'm still in the process of installing mine. I just have some wiring and fluid left. Before you remove the stock driveshaft there is a heat shield and some metal cross bracket that remove. The aluminum driveshaft is thicker in diameter and looks like it is about a card widths away of rubbing these brackets. Did you notch them or just leave them off the car?

Also I know your car was originally a manual, but some tips I have for the auto guys...

- The firewall rubber/foam stuff if a pain to deal with. I would just cut it all out of the way like they outline here: http://mkiv.com/techarticles/auto_to_6spd_swap/inside/index.html
I didn't drill a hole for the bottom clutch pedal bolt yet. I'm not sure if that is really needed as it's held in place by an upper bolt and the 2 that go through the master cylinder. In Joels video he says a right-angle drill works best. I was able to do it easily without one. I just used a normal dewalt drill from inside the car.

- When cutting the transmission hole... the template he provides is a little bit too wide in the narrow portion that goes towards the front of the car. I folded in the edges some on the paper. (Make sure when printing the template you uncheck the fit to page checkbox) Before cutting anything I bolted the cover in using the rear 2 bolts and outlined it with a sharpy just to make sure that when cutting the template I wouldn't cut the opening too large in any places. Then I used the template and I still cut the hole too small and used a die bit on an air tool to clean up the edges.

- If you have a front strut bar, remove it. My first attempt of installing the transmission didn't work as the engine wouldn't rock back enough. Joel said you could also loosen the rear bolts in the front subframe if you need it to tip some more (for instance if you had solid mounts)

- In one of the OS Giken clutch videos Grannas racing it mentions tightening the clutch bolts in a circular pattern. The torque is actually 13 ft lbs and there is a special tightening pattern they recommend. I used a sharpy to number the bolts on my clutch face before beginning. https://osgiken.net/files/technology/Clutch Guides/clutch-torque-guide-2.pdf

- It's probably a good idea to replace your rear main seal while you are installing this kit even if it's not leaking. Mine was leaking so I replaced it.

- On his transmission tunnel cover, use the shortest bolts you can find in the front 2 holes, otherwise they will hit the sikky shifter assembly if they stick down too far.

- The tremec transmissions now come with a rear manual speed sensor cover in place. They use to come with a plastic plug and Joel would replace it with an aftermarket plug. Now tremec ships them with their own metal plug so you won't need to do anything with it.

- The rear driveshaft bolts that go into the aluminum plate on the diff... They work but they only penetrate about half way through the plate. In Joels videos they are Allan key bolts. Now they are hex heads. I may try to find some that are slightly longer for peace of mind.

So far Joel has been really good at responding to questions, evening answering emails on a Saturday.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I was part of the group buy too! Joel did a great job of organizing this! Thank you for posting the install videos buddy.

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
I have a question regarding the auto to Grannas kit swap: I noticed on his install video, the "!" light and the check engine lights were on. Are you pretty much stuck with that on a stock ECU? If so, that pretty much is a deal breaker.

Al

·
handy with the steel
338 Posts
Nope, when I did mine there was no /!\ light, following Joel's install instructions.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Whatever you do, do the breather vent mod. I didn't and trans fluid is pissing out of the shifter hole one. I assume it's because of the vent.

·
Mind if I do a J?
3,154 Posts
I have a question regarding the auto to Grannas kit swap: I noticed on his install video, the "!" light and the check engine lights were on. Are you pretty much stuck with that on a stock ECU? If so, that pretty much is a deal breaker.

Al
The T56 swap I did in a customer car had the “!”on after but it was a 97 so OBD2. I contacted Joel and he said the OBD1 cars should not have the light but OBD2 cars probably will. I was advised to swap in an OBD2 6spd ECU and apparently that would have fixed it but never had the chance to. Customer planned to go ProEFI so we just left it.

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Can you just keep the factory automatic ECU in there?

I am starting to think more and more about swapping. Having auto trans issues, and from what I can find, there is only one place left that can do a "built" auto. And don't get me started on that! It's the whole reason I am in this situation.

Al

·
Mind if I do a J?
3,154 Posts
Can you just keep the factory automatic ECU in there?

I am starting to think more and more about swapping. Having auto trans issues, and from what I can find, there is only one place left that can do a "built" auto. And don't get me started on that! It's the whole reason I am in this situation.

Al
Yes you can run it on the factory auto ECU.

·
Mind if I do a J?
3,154 Posts
can you elaborate what this is ? I have the same issue occasionally
A bunch of pressure builds up inside the transmission and the little vent hole at top is not enough to let it all out. It is now advised to drill the relief hole out and tap a AN-6 fitting with hose to a breather (kinda like a catch can from your valve covers) so pressure can be adequately relieved. I'd like to add this is not in the instructions provided by Grannas (although it might be now) and therefore fluid purging from the shifter hole was a problem we also had with the transmission swap we did.

·
i recorded mark7m001.mp3
2,027 Posts
A bunch of pressure builds up inside the transmission and the little vent hole at top is not enough to let it all out. It is now advised to drill the relief hole out and tap a AN-6 fitting with hose to a breather (kinda like a catch can from your valve covers) so pressure can be adequately relieved. I'd like to add this is not in the instructions provided by Grannas (although it might be now) and therefore fluid purging from the shifter hole was a problem we also had with the transmission swap we did.

thanks, I’m doing this today then. will the shifter seal need to be replaced ? or is letting it fully breathe enough to let the leakage stop ?

·
Mind if I do a J?
3,154 Posts
thanks, I’m doing this today then. will the shifter seal need to be replaced ? or is letting it fully breathe enough to let the leakage stop ?
If fluid has already broken the seal around the shifter I would recommend removing the shifter housing, cleaning the housing surfaces, and resealing. Is it completely necessary? Probably not if the pressure inside is now being relieved appropriately, but just as a cautionary measure yes I would.

·
i recorded mark7m001.mp3
2,027 Posts
for now it has only seeped from the shifter pivot point on my sikky extension. the base plate that the shifter bolts to the trans itself has never leaked.

I got the little check/relief valve off the magnum and am putting one of those tiny k&n filters in its place. I’ll update if anything changes/improves. Otherwise the Grannas T56 setup has been awesome overall, just a minor annoyance when it leaves a drop or two in the garage considering everything was new. Sounds like this will solve it.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts