Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What up guys i guess Tremec has released their new Magnum F 6 speed. This transmission is a i believe is a slightly shorter version of the Magnum that Grannas Racing uses on their T56 Swap kits for the MKIV. Because its shorter it gets rid of the need to have an aftermarket shifter relocation kit. This lowered the cost on the kits but it also should make the shifting much smoother and less notchy from what i gather.

Grannas Racing has a Group buy on these trans as a complete kit from bell housing to drive shaft. I just placed my $250 deposit in for a spot in the GB and if we can get to 25 people in the group buy they will refund us back our $250 deposit.

So check it out guys if anyone has been thinking about doing a T56 swap or saving your V160 for the$$$ and swapping out to a T56 this would be the best time to do it, they are giving some big discounts on the whole kit rt now.

Come on lets get to 25 so we can all get $250 back!!!!

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'm number 1 on the list! Can't wait to hit the minimum and get this thing installed. It would be awesome if we end up getting our deposit back!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes we made it to the minimum!!!!! @dosturbo. I was 3 third down in the list. Yeah i just don't think he is really doing much advertising for the group buy. i am going to start spamming my feeds with it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I was in last years group buy. I wish I knew the MagnumF trans was on the radar or I would have waited. No complaints though with the sikky shifter. If any of you are running a multi-disc clutch and don't like noise you may want to insulate your trans tunnel. I have the OS Giken tripple disk. I insulated the top of the tunnel to help with the noise/heat. If I ever have the trans out again I'll do the same to the underside.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@fastfalcon94 how do you like the OS R3C? Im getting the Quad disk. Wanted it to be the last clutch i buy. Does yours make a lot of noise at idle? How is the street drive-ability you have a lot of miles on it? Do you also have the tilton slave and master on the car? How is the high rpm shifting?

Sorry with all the questions I'm just really curious how the clutch will drive. But i have heard good things, so fingers crossed.

Thanks for the heat and noise insulation tip i will definitely do that while i am in there.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The OS R3C is my first ever multi-disc clutch on any car. I had read about the noise but I didn't really know what to expect. It was tricky to drive at first. I had to really concentrate letting out the clutch (meaning turn down the radio, and don't wear sandles) and I've driven multiple standard vehicles for the last 20 years. Now I can do it no problem. On pretty much any kind of hill I will still use the ebrake. With clutches in other cars I'll only use the ebrake if its a steep hill.

There is a rattle to it. At idle it will change tone if you have the clutch pressed in vs out. Initially it was a lot louder and really bugged me. On closer inspection I found that some of the bolts that stick down through the shifter tunnel were actually interfering with the trans. One of the 10mm bolts sticking down was rubbing one of the bolt heads that held the sikky shifter plate in. I think there are about 6 10mm bolts that stick down from the top. Remove them all and cut them shorter so they don't stick down anymore than then need to. I removed the 6 bolts that hold the sikky shifter plate on and took them to my bench grinder making the heads half as tall. I have plenty of clearance now. Joe said if I had to I could stick a few washers between the cross bar of the trans and the body to tip the back down some more. I didn't need to do that, and you probably won't either seeing as the Magnum F trans as the shifter flange is further back. The thermotec wrap I added to the trans tunnel helped quiet it even more.

If you do research on T56 trans mount you'll find that some people say the energy suspension rear trans bushing does a better job at dampening noise. Joe uses a prothane one. Before I tried the mat I thought about giving a different mount a tryt. Now I'm not going to. I've got about 600 miles on it with the tilton hydraulic tob. I haven't done any high rpm shifting yet (say above 5k) because my afr starts to go leaner than I want. My car has some HKS VPC/GCC piggy back system in it that I never bothered to learn because I knew I was going to standalone. My AEM v2 arrived a few days ago, I'll be getting that installed and dialed in soon.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sweet. i have never owned a multiplate either. Cant wait to get it installed. But i now will take some steps isolate the heat and sounds better.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I have the Mcleod double disk RST with billet flywheel and Tilton hydraulic TOB and MC. Its a great combo and I only have light flywheel noise on low RPM (under 3K). Zero noise at idle.

The new F looks Nice! Joel should give us guys a trade up option that were in the last few group buy. The shifter is my only complaint on the trans, its really a nice setup and this should make it that much better. It only needed a slight upgrade that Tremec obviously delivered on.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I asked Joel about upgrading the rear of my transmission. He said you'd need a press and for the cost of the parts needed (not to mention it would void the 2 year warranty) it would be more economical to try and sell your trans and buy a new MagnumF. I have my trans listed locally on craigslist with 500 miles on it lol. I doubt anyone around me will buy it though.

My dilemma is with the driveshaft. I want to go to the 8.8 rear end which will require me to buy another driveshaft (1" longer). I was hoping to resell the one in my car to someone who wanted to buy a swap setup from Grannas. However now people are going to want to buy the MagnumF trans (which also uses a longer driveshaft, 2" longer). So I doubt I'll ever be able to sell my current driveshaft.

If I buy the 8.8 setup for my car with longer driveshaft and ever have trans issues, I'll probably replace it with a MagnumF. When I do that, I'd need to buy a 3rd driveshaft as it would be even longer. I asked Joel about using a spacer on the rear diff flange but he didn't think it was a good idea. I know the person who beta tested Joel's 8.8 kit ran a custom spacer though so they could re-use their driveshaft. Joel was saying they can make driveshafts shorter, just not longer.

Here is what I gather on the lengths.

T56 Magnum to Auto Supra rear end (presume this is the shortest, It's what I have, call it X)
T56 Magnum to 8.8 rear end (sounds like this is 1" longer, so X+1")
T56 Magnum F to Supra Auto rear end (Sounds like this is 2" longer than what I have, so X+2")
T56 Magnum F to 8.8 rear end (8.8 sits back an extra inch, so it would be X+3")

So Hindsight I wish I had waited a year to do my 6 speed swap. That was the intent when I bought the Supra last October. 2 weeks after buying it Joel came out advertising his group buy with "lowest prices ever" and I caved:D

I'll probably just go with the 8.8 kit for my current trans and hope I never have issues with it or the sikky kit.

·
...pop the hood!
816 Posts
I asked Joel about upgrading the rear of my transmission. He said you'd need a press and for the cost of the parts needed (not to mention it would void the 2 year warranty) it would be more economical to try and sell your trans and buy a new MagnumF. I have my trans listed locally on craigslist with 500 miles on it lol. I doubt anyone around me will buy it though.

My dilemma is with the driveshaft. I want to go to the 8.8 rear end which will require me to buy another driveshaft (1" longer). I was hoping to resell the one in my car to someone who wanted to buy a swap setup from Grannas. However now people are going to want to buy the MagnumF trans (which also uses a longer driveshaft, 2" longer). So I doubt I'll ever be able to sell my current driveshaft.

If I buy the 8.8 setup for my car with longer driveshaft and ever have trans issues, I'll probably replace it with a MagnumF. When I do that, I'd need to buy a 3rd driveshaft as it would be even longer. I asked Joel about using a spacer on the rear diff flange but he didn't think it was a good idea. I know the person who beta tested Joel's 8.8 kit ran a custom spacer though so they could re-use their driveshaft. Joel was saying they can make driveshafts shorter, just not longer.

T56 Magnum to Auto Supra rear end (presume this is the shortest, It's what I have, call it X)
T56 Magnum F to Supra Auto rear end (Sounds like this is 2" longer than what I have, so X+2")

So Hindsight I wish I had waited a year to do my 6 speed swap. That was the intent when I bought the Supra last October. 2 weeks after buying it Joel came out advertising his group buy with "lowest prices ever" and I caved:D

I'll probably just go with the 8.8 kit for my current trans and hope I never have issues with it or the sikky kit.
what are you selling it for and where are you located?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wish I would have known this was going to be an option when I spent $8,500 with him last month on my conversion. I really like the kit, but the shifter is a bit notchy.

·
iSPOOL
1,015 Posts
I watched this video about 4 or 5 months ago when the Magnum F premiered. I was a heartbeat away from buying my swap in April/May. I decided to wait after watching it. Sucks I should have posted it and maybe gave y'all a chance to make a decision.

·
Registered
739 Posts

I can only imagine after swapping yet again for the Mangnum F, that in a year or so there will be a Magnum G, then H then I ……...

I am glad we have Aftermarket support for the 6spd supra guys and I don't see the F being the last magnum available.

Enjoy that 6spd setup and get the rear end!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just got the full GR700 swap and the 8.8 kit on the tax sale earlier this year as well. Everything is still sitting in the box, waiting to install. I would definitely hop on this new trans to eliminate the shifter relocation. There's a lot of muscle car guys in my area, maybe I can sell this brand new unit and will only have to eat the cost of the driveshaft to switch to the F version. Something I'll have to think about.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just got the full GR700 swap and the 8.8 kit on the tax sale earlier this year as well. Everything is still sitting in the box, waiting to install. I would definitely hop on this new trans to eliminate the shifter relocation. There's a lot of muscle car guys in my area, maybe I can sell this brand new unit and will only have to eat the cost of the driveshaft to switch to the F version. Something I'll have to think about.
Depending on what you do I'd consider low balling you on your driveshaft assuming no one local buys my T56 Magnum trans in the next 2 weeks:) I'm definitely buying the 8.8 setup next month.

·
Administrator
8,345 Posts
Seems this swap had driven down used costs on v160s. You can get used v160s for 4-5k now, plus all the other parts your at the same cost just about. Initially this swap seemed like it was advertised as a low cost 6spd solution. Once you at all the bells and whistles not including labor if your not installing yourself you're at almost 10k.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Seems this swap had driven down used costs on v160s. You can get used v160s for 4-5k now, plus all the other parts your at the same cost just about. Initially this swap seemed like it was advertised as a low cost 6spd solution. Once you at all the bells and whistles not including labor if your not installing yourself you're at almost 10k.
While true it is a higher cost, you get everything new and the multiple clutch options. The trans can take power and while there are different levels for what it can take, it is better than trying to find an input shaft for a V160 where Jacks or OEM price gouging is your only option. That is where his kit really shines.

·
Registered
739 Posts

Everyone loves the V160, including me. But for 5-6K for a used beat on transmission that may or may not last. Add another 3-4K for a rebuild if she does go and you are able to find replacement parts. Its too much of a gamble unless you have the $$$$ or are dead set on keeping all original Toyota parts.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts