Supra Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Administrator
8,345 Posts
Everyone loves the V160, including me. But for 5-6K for a used beat on transmission that may or may not last. Add another 3-4K for a rebuild if she does go and you are able to find replacement parts. Its too much of a gamble unless you have the $$$$ or are dead set on keeping all original Toyota parts.
Yeah I completely get it but at the end seems like splitting hairs. I would see more value in a v160 car vs a t56 for resale but as far as personal preferences do whatever floats your boat. I dont know how honestly so many people are worried about v160s, I've had alot of supras at all power levels and never managed to hurt one. Lucky maybe?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Yeah I completely get it but at the end seems like splitting hairs. I would see more value in a v160 car vs a t56 for resale but as far as personal preferences do whatever floats your boat. I dont know how honestly so many people are worried about v160s, I've had alot of supras at all power levels and never managed to hurt one. Lucky maybe?
You granny shifting mofo j/k haha

Yea, I hear ya on resale, no doubt about it. V160 on the title will help sell a supra real quick! I bought my supra in 2012 and it was a NA 5spd car daily driven for 20 years. I have always wanted a v160 but I am also glad to be bulletproof 6spd at this point with all new parts from the MC to the driveshaft (still deciding on a rear end upgrade). The car is a lot more enjoyable knowing that I'm not one hard pull away from blowing my w58
:)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I run the OS triple disc and the T56 magnum. I hate how noisy the clutch and trans are. Going through parking lots at car shows is almost embarrassing because of the clutch rattle. I also find it very hard to take off with. The T56 magnum also has a very loud rattling noise when lugging, which i'm told is normal. I wonder if the F magnum does this also.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I run the OS triple disc and the T56 magnum. I hate how noisy the clutch and trans are. Going through parking lots at car shows is almost embarrassing because of the clutch rattle. I also find it very hard to take off with. The T56 magnum also has a very loud rattling noise when lugging, which i'm told is normal. I wonder if the F magnum does this also.

Supposedly the McLeod clutches are much quieter. They use something that keeps each plate mounted independently so it avoids being free-floating like the OS clutch. Grannas did a video on it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I agree, aj… BUT I'm with Boost on this one... at the total price for a Grannis transmission swap, I'd still consider sourcing a smooth CD or ZF transmission. They can handle the power and offer good clutch options. I'd love to convert to a 6-speed, but not for $6K++. That's ridiculous IMHO, unless you are building a 1,000hp+ race car. The QuickTime bellhousing and other 2JZ adapters the keys to creating manual transmission options for our cars. Maybe a DCT would fit?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Whifbitz has the DCT answer to your question. Getrag gearbox too.

That's a very cool DCT application, but a lot of modifications are still required (drive by wire conversion, Syvec ECU, tunnel cutting, different rear-end) and only holds 450 ft/lbs... for now. But it's still a great start.

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
You granny shifting mofo j/k haha

Yea, I hear ya on resale, no doubt about it. V160 on the title will help sell a supra real quick! I bought my supra in 2012 and it was a NA 5spd car daily driven for 20 years. I have always wanted a v160 but I am also glad to be bulletproof 6spd at this point with all new parts from the MC to the driveshaft (still deciding on a rear end upgrade). The car is a lot more enjoyable knowing that I'm not one hard pull away from blowing my w58
:)
And with the way you drive like a crook who just robbed a bank , a W58 on your 2jzgte twins and soon single won't even last a day , hahaha :p

Let me tell you a secret . Sell your bare shell . ChrisFlo have been selling RHD NA shells for around $11k . Yours is a USDM. So it should sell more. Buy my black original 70k miles 6speed USDM shell and move everything including interior into the 6speed shell. Enjoy the car and you know that when you are tired of it , you will still get every penny you invested and more because of the original USDM 6speed values are way up there right now. The value of an original NA regardless of what you put into it , will still be an NA in the eyes of many. So even with a 6 speed 2jzgte in it , it will never come close to the pricing of the original 6speed USDM cars. I have heard it a thousand times. I will never sell this car. Every darn person from whom I heard those words don't have their supra or car anymore :unsure: .

You are only 20 miles away from where that black shell is right now so not even any shipping costs. So get that darn truck of yours , a uhaul trailer and get it going :ROFLMAO: .

Going back on topic , waiting for that Magnum-F a good buddy of mine ordered so we can help him install it .

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'd like to hear any feedback as well. As stated previously in this thread, I had the full T56 and 8.8 setup I got from Joel in April sitting in storage waiting for install. When the F released I sold the new T56 locally and ordered the F and a new driveshaft for the 8.8 from Joel to match that trans. I now have a T56 Magnum 8.8 driveshaft and Sikky shifter that I'll have to try to get rid of, but I liked the new shifter setup enough that I decided I would figure that part out later, or hope someone with the older swap may be interested in those parts.

Anyway, I should get the F and 8.8 installed sometime this month and will post any feedback I have, but would be interested to know what others experience is with the F and the new shifter setup so far.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts