Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Built 2 enjoy NOT garage
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed Greddy 3 Row and now my hood wont open!

I did a search and only found suggestions on how I should pull the release cords with pliers from the bracket where both meet up, but I've already tried that. When I pull the cords back all the way with pliers only the driver side latch unlocks.

Also I know people will suggest that the pass side cord is broke, But I don't think it is because when I pull the pass side cord back it stops at a certain point...If it was broke the cord would pull all the way back out of the latch correct?. Could the intercooler be sitting to close to the bottom of the hood latch making it unable to fully release?. :scratch:

· ex BPU'er
5,973 Posts
I've done this before, but the opposite. I could not close my hood. The culprit was in how the release was mounted. It was caught on a piece of the bumper and it could not move.

891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone? Or is there an easy way to unlock the pass side hood lock without having to cut anything?

891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you likely pinched the cable with the intercooler core and something else. Try to drop the intercooler locate the hood release cable and re-route it out of the way of the Intercooler.
The cable isn't pinched by the intercooler. I can pull both of the cables back manually but it just isn't releasing the lock..

891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anyone?

· Registered
4,081 Posts
This happened to me when I installed my Greddy 4 row. The cable splits into two wires inside a little white box. The little white box used to sit right where the intercooler sits. Some how I separated the white box from the cable and the hood wouldn't open. This is most likely what happened to you. You will need to find the little white box and pull on the two individual wires to open your hood. Then fix the connection where it "Y" inside it.

You can see the white box I am talking about in this picture. It is sitting on top of the intercooler:

891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This happened to me when I installed my Greddy 4 row. The cable splits into two wires inside a little white box. The little white box used to sit right where the intercooler sits. Some how I separated the white box from the cable and the hood wouldn't open. This is most likely what happened to you. You will need to find the little white box and pull on the two individual wires to open your hood. Then fix the connection where it "Y" inside it.

You can see the white box I am talking about in this picture. It is sitting on top of the intercooler:
I tried pulling the wires from the white box but nothing. The driverside latch unlocks but the pass side doesn't unlock. Could the IC be sitting to close to the bottom of the latch causing it not able to fully release?.

· Premium Member
1,574 Posts
IT would be unlikely if you mounted it correctly. Problem is if there is a problem with the cable linkage it is very tricky to get to with the hood closed. (as Im sure you know)

Ive seen where the linkage going into the latch itself isnt in it's groove or U shaped point and the cable will pull to a point but cannot open the latch. So you need to find a way to get it open to repair it. Take the headlights out if they arent already and unbolt the top of the fmic and drop it out of there. (assuming your bumper also is not already mounted up...)

Then check your cable at the latch itself.

891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
IT would be unlikely if you mounted it correctly. Problem is if there is a problem with the cable linkage it is very tricky to get to with the hood closed. (as Im sure you know)

Ive seen where the linkage going into the latch itself isnt in it's groove or U shaped point and the cable will pull to a point but cannot open the latch. So you need to find a way to get it open to repair it. Take the headlights out if they arent already and unbolt the top of the fmic and drop it out of there. (assuming your bumper also is not already mounted up...)

Then check your cable at the latch itself.
Finally got it fixed, The cable was still attached to the latch, But like you said the cable wasn't in the U shaped area. Managed to get the cable back in the U shaped part of the latch without taking the headlights or IC off..All of which took about 5 minutes or less.

· Banned
2,617 Posts
Just had this happen to me, can't open the hood and tension seems to be lost in the lever. How do you get the hood open now to check the full length of the cable?

edit
you can reach in between front mount and get to it

looks like the plastic splitter between the cables cracked and released the tension between the lever and latches.
53630-14300 CABLE ASSY is part number for new one

· Registered
3,086 Posts
Just had this happen to me, can't open the hood and tension seems to be lost in the lever. How do you get the hood open now to check the full length of the cable?

edit
you can reach in between front mount and get to it

looks like the plastic splitter between the cables cracked and released the tension between the lever and latches.
53630-14300 CABLE ASSY is part number for new one
Cool you got a part #,I dont have the same problem u have but i cant get the passangerside latch to close.The driverside closes fine but for some reason the other dosent.Will moving the latch make a diffrence if it moves at all?

Here is a picture not sure if u can see but the hood looks more up on the pass side then driverside.Sorry for pic only one i had on hand.

· Registered
3,086 Posts
Damn! I came to the conclusion that its not gonna work by just adjusting the hood latch.I tried to use a small extension to act as the u shaped hood thing and it wouldn't engage.when I do it on the otherside and it engages.so it can either be the latch hat is defective or maybe the little white box,what u guys think????

· SuperMember
4,160 Posts
I doubt the white box would be your problem, lossen up the bolts and the nut holding the latch in place and move it as far up as possible and then try to do the extension trick, are you able to push down on the hook but just doesn't lock it?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.