Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I need to buy a fan to put in between the core and radiator?

·
Registered
475 Posts
its actually between the core and the a/c condenser(which is located right in front of the radiator). I have seen quiet a few people running there cars without it but its is recommended, it cant hurt to get it. you can either by the 7.5 spal fan from mvp or one of those guys or napa sells a universal fan you can mount but you have to splice the electrical connections also make sure you have the flange to mount the BOV on to the I/C pipes if you wanna go that route

·
Real Girl Thread FTW!
4,627 Posts
I would recommend to run it, just because of traffic driving. Also an external transmission oil cooler is not a bad idea either.
Good luck with that.

·
Registered
475 Posts
^ do u know if i can run the fmic with the stock bypass valve because i am waiting for the flange to get here to install the bov unto the hard pipes

·
Registered
994 Posts
Get the fan or risk over heating your car.... and the tranny cooler is a Must as well.. :)

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
can someone link me to the recommended tranny cooler you think i should get. Also, i dont have to run a BOV do i? i can leave the stock bypass valve correct?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is the 13" spal fan what i should get between the core and ac condensor/radiator?

·
Boost Junkie
12,625 Posts
Yes, the one on MVP's sites.

Steve K.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, what transmission cooler should i buy?

·
a supra..fast..hahaha
266 Posts
i have the 3 row and a tranny cooler and my car doesn't even get close to overheating w/o the extra fan, but may look into it soon just as a safety thing

·
Enter The Supra
1,903 Posts
First, you do not have to replace the stock blow off valve when going with a fmic. Second, you will probably begin to overheat without replacing the fan. I ran a while without replacing the fan after putting my fmic in, and it definitely affected the temperatures my engine and tranny were seeing. The bigger spal push fan that MVP sells is good if you are going to keep the stock rad. If you are going to go with an aftermarket rad. (typically these do not include a coolant passage for tranny fluid, I've never seen one for supras), then I'd recommend the smaller spal fan he has. Mainly because it will be easier to attach it to the external tranny cooler. MVP used to sell a little fluidyne, although I think Dusty says they are no longer being made. I've seen it on Titan's site, as well as on summitracing's. Here's a link http://www.titanmotorsports.com/fltrco.html. I've bolted my 7.5" spal fan right behind it, and I used some easily made brackets out of aircraft aluminum (just needed my dremmel and a drill, plus some hardware and fuel line hoses for the tranny fluid to run into the cooler) to mount it right between my fmic and my condensor. I cut the connector off the old push fan and used it on the new fan. Works great for me running a built auto with a high stall converter. Also, make sure you replace the panel that sits between the front bumper cover and the rad support area. Air will go right up over the rad and it will also affect your cooling.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I have a Spal 13". The Zirgo S blade fans move more air and are a bit quieter...

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, so I should order the greddy 3 row, the 13" spal fan for in between the core and ac condensor/radiator. AND I should also order the transmission cooler with the 7.5" spal fan? I should get all of that?

·
Enter The Supra
1,903 Posts
If you get the 13" spal for between the fmic and condensor, and are keeping your stock rad, there is no reason to order the additional external tranny cooler and 7.5" spal fan. IMO, the only reason to go with an external cooler for the tranny is if you are going with a built auto with a high stall converter. This will generate much more heat and most likely require the external cooler. Hope this clears things up.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I say get the cooler...Heat Kills Auto's .. stock or not.... it will help in making your trans last longer..

·
Registered
107 Posts
Get the tranny cooler and set it where the stock side mount used to be.
Has decent air flow without the additional fan for it.

And if you upgrade the tranny down the road, or go aftermarket on your
radiator, you'll already have it in place.

·
Supraforums Member
704 Posts
I have a 3-row equipped Supra. Also running a built BL auto with external cooling and a fluidyne radiator. When I installed the 3-row, the fluidyne was already in place and I experienced no overheating or higher than normal temperatures.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts