Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
I had the GReddy A/F gauge on my car along with an FJO wideband. The GReddy is not a true wideband, so it is not correct at all times. It might be correct at times, and wrong at times. Bottom line is, you cannot trust it. True wideband is the ONLY way to go.

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
Listen to Steve -

I had one as well - looked real nice...didn't work for crap though! Try these guys: www.widebando2.com ;) you'll be much happier!

Jay

·
Useless Member
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
steve, did you use just the a/f gauge, or the exact kit that SS is selling?

·
Stock Twins King
4,488 Posts
I have had my Greddy for over a year. I actually at one time tuned my car to it. Then went to the dyno to "fine" tune, and I didnt need to. I also have a FJO without the display. When I hook up my laptop to the FJO, and watch my Greddy, it is actually quite accurate. It reads well at WOT too. There has been times where it tracts poorly compared to the FJO. I still use it as my display. I know its accuracy is not like the FJO, but it reads good enough for safety purposes.
Another thing to keep in mind when setting up the Greddy, you need to have it set at 13. The manual reccomends 9 or 11, but for some reason 13 is where it works. I heard this from several other people over the last year. The people who really say they are a POS probalby never had them calibrated to 13. I know that if you don't, the Greddy does not work well at all.

Stu

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
The GReddy kit comes with with the 4-wire sensor, data-link, wiring, bung, etc. That's what I have, and as far as I know, that's the only way you could use that gauge -- to have the entire kit with data-link and all.

Mine is for sale if anyone is interested. I'll take $175 for it. It has about 3K miles on it running unleaded fuel only (no leaded race gas).

Steve

KReddy05 said:
steve, did you use just the a/f gauge, or the exact kit that SS is selling?

·
Addicted to boost
525 Posts
KReddy05 said:
Anyone use the GReddy 60mm Air/Fuel gauge kit w/ the O2 sensor????

http://www.suprastore.com/gredairfuelk.html

What are your thoughts? Has anyone compared this to a wideband?
Yeah, I'm using (or trying to use) exactly what you described above. You do not have to use the O2 sensor they provide, but one additional wire will have to be hooked up. The instructions say that for best performance, to add thier o2 sensor in addition to the factory one. So I did. I had a bung put in the downpipe. So far, it's a piece of crap. My gauge bounces around constantly, from one extreme to the other, and the little red light is on constantly. Greddy's awesome:rolleyes: instructions never address what a red light that stays constantly on means (not blinking, they address that).

In a nutshell, I would would go with the wideband since I never hear complaints about it, only good things.

James
93.5 TT

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
The bouncing around might be normal, depending upon how much it's bouncing and whether or not you are on the Factory ECU. The factory ECU constantly sweeps the AFR back and forth between about 14.2 and 15.2:1 -- maybe 4 times per second or so. On a wideband like the FJO you'll see this continually during steady-state cruise or light acceleration.

Have you adjusted the warning light on the GReddy gauge? It sounds like the warning is set so that the light will stay on. Take the little socket tool thingy and twist the hex knob left or right to change the warning setting. See if that turns the light off.

Steve Hayes

·
Lets go Nets
2,956 Posts
can you replace the greddy sensor with a wideband oxygen sensor?

Brett

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
No. The electronics (controller, signal convertor, display unit, etc.) must be configured to work with the particular sensor that is employed. The GReddy kit uses a different NTK sensor than the FJO (4-wire vs. 5-wire). I'm not sure what all the differences are, but I'm sure there are some significant ones. Plus, one of the MOST important things about a wideband is the ability of the controller to monitor and maintain the temperature of the sensor. I'm pretty sure that the GReddy kit is not equipped for temperature maintenance.

·
Useless Member
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is there any way to monitor A/F with a gauge? Accurately, that is.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Do you mean by using an analog type gauge? I have heard that someone is making a wideband with an analog type gauge, but I haven't seen it, nor do I know whether or not the system is accurate (assuming it does exist). Of course the FJO (and other brands) digital displays are "gauges," so strictly speaking, the answer to your question is Yes.

Steve Hayes

·
Sooooooo JDM
1,221 Posts
I think Greddy probably sums it up best, " Do not use the Greddy A/F gauge for tuning!" It's right there in the manual. I had one in a previous car, it was not accurate and could not be calibrated to match my dyno's wideband consistently. The problem is that the sensor gets saturated very easy and with the narrow operating range it has, should not be used. Don't be too cheap when tuning your car. Cheap EGT, Boost, temp, fine. A/F, nope. There is a good reason that the Greddy unit is $250~$300 and an FJO (with display) will run you close to a grand.

Ryan

·
Useless Member
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ryan23 said:
I think Greddy probably sums it up best, " Do not use the Greddy A/F gauge for tuning!" It's right there in the manual. I had one in a previous car, it was not accurate and could not be calibrated to match my dyno's wideband consistently. The problem is that the sensor gets saturated very easy and with the narrow operating range it has, should not be used. Don't be too cheap when tuning your car. Cheap EGT, Boost, temp, fine. A/F, nope. There is a good reason that the Greddy unit is $250~$300 and an FJO (with display) will run you close to a grand.

Ryan

Yeah I agree, if I was ever single or anything an FJO would be on the top of my list. However, I am at BPU so I was just looking for something that is decently accurate so I can just monitor it somewhat.

BUT, I guess this GReddy is a pos, thanks for the input. $300 not wasted :D

If anyone can get me a good deal on the Defi BF boost and EGT gauges, PM me. Thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts