Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all

just got one of these from a friend for 200 bucks.

anyone use this in thier MKIII? how do you like them.....is it better than the profec b?

please let me know your opinions on this part. thanks!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i heard the profec a makes a ticking noise.

how loud is it? and does the B make the same noise?

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
Yes the Profec A makes a ticking noise when it's on. You can only hear it when the car is off.

Profec B makes no noise.

My experience with the Profec A has been that it's a great boost controller if you have the patience to set it up correctly. It will spool quicker and more stable then the Profec B but it takes a bit of time letting it learn the boost curve.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok. how long? i mean, im not doing it myself, so i want to know it was done right. any things to look for as a sign it was done wrong?

·
it's a rod knock life
489 Posts
Done wrong and you won't be able to boast, EE, you'll get p1 all the time or the screen will say 0.0. I use one too. I like it. It help lowers spool up somehow. You can feel the difference between on and off even when set to the stock boost level.

I like mine. When parked everbody will wonder whats that ticking sound. But it not too bad.

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
I've seen a Profec A get tuned anywhere from within 10 minutes to 2 hours. Some particular setups it likes and some it does not.

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
moneypit said:
ok. how long? i mean, im not doing it myself, so i want to know it was done right. any things to look for as a sign it was done wrong?

If you see my post, I think I gave a very detailed instruction on setting it up. It will take 3-4 full throttle runs to set up. It isn't hard. It took me much longer because I was wading through the manual trying to figure it out, but if you go step by step from what I said, you could easily set it up in less than 10 minutes

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Zero said:
can anyone explain though how it helps spool up?
Sure. your stock wastegate opens gradually, so at say 3psi it may be cracked open. At 5psi it may be significantly open. And then it opens fully at 6.8psi.

The profec learns the characteristics of the stock wastegate, and learns to keep the pressure at the wastegate actuator at say 2psi right until just before the car hits your desired boost level. I noticed a dramatic difference in spool over my manual boost controller set at the same boost

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
anything is better then a crappy profec b...:mad: I hate that thing!

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
SupraTrey said:
Profec A IMO is the BEST BC evermade.... Simple yet fuzzy logic..... IMO a BC isnt a BC if it isnt fuzzy logic..... A Non Fuzzy Logic BC i s no better than a Manual BC inside the car. Weather will effect boost levels on a non FL BC.
Profec e-01 is actually a lot better. It's got the same fuzzy logic but with the option to manually tune the boost curve if you want to. Then there's the fact that it can control the e-Manage and data log all kinds of information. And it sells for about what the Profec A used to sell for. Granted you can get the A much cheaper now, but A is old school and the e-01 is the newest high tech replacement.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
ok guy I need your help!
I have a Profec a controller and I just installed it.
I have all the hoses up and the wiring installed.I need to know how to set all the levels can some one PM me the instructions or e-mail them? [email protected]

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Ok here si the deal, I turn the car on. It beeps at me so I ajust it to .08 bar then it stays flashing till I turn off the car. I need to know how to ajust it there is 3 tiny ajustment knobs
ratio
time out
( something) can't remember I am in the office so I can't run out to my car.

Frist question:
How do I set the normal boost?
2. How do I set the high boost setting?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts