Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats up guys, im about to purchase a T78 but have a few concerns since this car is going to be daily driven.

Tried a search, but little came up.

I was wondering if the T78 would even boost a little bit under daily driving street conditions. I know it has great top end power but how often will you be seeing that everyday?

in a nut shell: is the T78 a pain in the ass to have for daily driving use?

·
Administrator
17,247 Posts
I'll try to say some positive things about the T78 (I'm a former T78 owner...have converted it to a custom PT63 kit):

1. It's a very high quality kit, everything bolts up great
2. It's very easy to daily drive, and to stay out of boost

There, I said some NICE things about the T78. :)

Steve T.

·
Administrator
17,247 Posts
I will just tell you right now that I'm pretty "anti-T78", so I don't want to be your reference point for buying it or not buying it. I was essentially fooled into buying it since I believed the following things at the time of purchase:

1. Lag is overrated
2. The divided housing makes all the difference

I can tell you with a straight face now that I don't believe either of the above items. However, let me make it EXTREMELY clear that my own powerband and power goals might be completely different from your own, so you should ask yourself what you want.

My decision criteria (when I purchased the T78) was to make 500 rwhp relatively easily on the stock fuel system, and it handily exceeded that goal when I made 514 rwhp at 17.4 PSI. However, my original goal had no powerband implications, and I didn't care for the lag associated with the T78 (67mm wheel, 1.00 A/R). I have since spent considerable time and money to achieve a quicker spooling setup since then, and wouldn't have purchased the T78 again (but would have started with a flexible turbo kit, such as the BoostLogic setup).

Again, ask yourself what YOU want. If the following sounds good, then the T78 may be right for you.

1. High quality and relatively affordable kit
2. Ability to make 650+ rwhp with supporting mods (clutch, fuel, tuning)
3. Good "all around" single turbo setup...medium sized

Hope that helps! Again, you should listen to other T78 owners who continue to stick with them, as I barely scratched the surface of what it could do. It was "too much turbo" for my liking and my overall goals (which have been heavily refined since owning a T78). The things I don't like about the T78 are not shortcomings of that kit whatsoever.

I hope that is a fair account. :)

Steve T.

·
SFOT 4 Pit Bulls
978 Posts
Its fine for DD. I talked to a few people before I bough mine and they all had no problems. If I could do it again I would go with a more flexible kit like BL or SP so I had more turbo options. But besides that its a great kit.

S

·
0 Posts
kaotiq said:

in a nut shell: is the T78 a pain in the ass to have for daily driving use?
I don't understand why people kep asking these questions. It's as if people think that the car totally bogs when you mash the gas pedal down when off boost.

The car drives just like a N/A until boost hits. The response at low rpms is just like a N/A. Pain in the ass? What do you mean?

The larger the turbo the later the boost comes on. The car isn't any more sluggish off boost than a small turbo...the boost just comes on later.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Re: GReddy T78 for daily driving??

stoker6 said:
I don't understand why people kep asking these questions. It's as if people think that the car totally bogs when you mash the gas pedal down when off boost.

The car drives just like a N/A until boost hits. The response at low rpms is just like a N/A. Pain in the ass? What do you mean?

The larger the turbo the later the boost comes on. The car isn't any more sluggish off boost than a small turbo...the boost just comes on later.
ahhhhh. ok ok... well what i wrongly assumed was that since turbo cars naturally have lower compression, the car would be sluggish most of the time since i would be driving it below boost 70% of the time.

T

·
0 Posts
Steve, hope there was no problems with the kit itself? Let me know.

Wolf

Steve Theodore said:
I will just tell you right now that I'm pretty "anti-T78", so I don't want to be your reference point for buying it or not buying it. I was essentially fooled into buying it since I believed the following things at the time of purchase:

1. Lag is overrated
2. The divided housing makes all the difference

I can tell you with a straight face now that I don't believe either of the above items. However, let me make it EXTREMELY clear that my own powerband and power goals might be completely different from your own, so you should ask yourself what you want.

My decision criteria (when I purchased the T78) was to make 500 rwhp relatively easily on the stock fuel system, and it handily exceeded that goal when I made 514 rwhp at 17.4 PSI. However, my original goal had no powerband implications, and I didn't care for the lag associated with the T78 (67mm wheel, 1.00 A/R). I have since spent considerable time and money to achieve a quicker spooling setup since then, and wouldn't have purchased the T78 again (but would have started with a flexible turbo kit, such as the BoostLogic setup).

Again, ask yourself what YOU want. If the following sounds good, then the T78 may be right for you.

1. High quality and relatively affordable kit
2. Ability to make 650+ rwhp with supporting mods (clutch, fuel, tuning)
3. Good "all around" single turbo setup...medium sized

Hope that helps! Again, you should listen to other T78 owners who continue to stick with them, as I barely scratched the surface of what it could do. It was "too much turbo" for my liking and my overall goals (which have been heavily refined since owning a T78). The things I don't like about the T78 are not shortcomings of that kit whatsoever.

I hope that is a fair account. :)

Steve T.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts