Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, folks. Recently I was faced with a dilemma. I was in a situation where a local self-proclaimed "tuner" had kept my car for 6 months and was to do the following: Replace synchros in transmission, install new clutch and flywheel, install T88 kit, install fuel, install electronics.
After 6 months of waiting, all that was done was the transmission and half of the turbo kit install. Needless to say, my patience had reached the absolute limit after knowing this guy was working on it an average of 4-5 hours A MONTH. To top it off he began saying he wanted to be paid before finishing it. It was at this point that I decided to have the Supra towed home and finish it myself with lots of help from a friend. Much drama ensued and I loaded up my car on a flatbed. Unfortunately, in my haste, I believe I left several pieces behind.

Which brings me to where we are currently: It appears I might be missing some piping from the intercooler, but I am not sure. I have a Greddy 3-row and we can't really figure out which way the pipes need to go from the compressor into the fender to the intercooler. Do I need custom fabricating for the pipes to fit properly? Does anyone have pictures of a T78/T88 install? I have only seen t04r and rps and they are different from Greddy's kit. Any help is greatly appreciated.

edit: I'm also missing the studs for the turbo to the downpipe. :( See post below.

·
SFOT 4 Pit Bulls
978 Posts
if the 3-row is new it should have plastic stickers on the pipes that say the order they go in. The directions are on MKIV.com and have all the parts included in the kit.

If the T88 kit is like the T78 it should have came with an elbow that comes off the turbo basically 90 degrees..

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, 95BPUplus. Besides the 90 degree elbow (I assume it is the one that is cast aluminum), what other piping comes with the Greddy T78/T88? I have a feeling some pipes might have been left behind. Unfortunately,since I didn't take part in the install, I dont know what pipes came with the turbo kit and the 3-row. One of the pipes i have is of a smaller diameter than the rest and has no sticker.

·
SFOT 4 Pit Bulls
978 Posts
I think there is another that comes with the T78 kit.. its about a foot long looks like a J or L depending on which way you look at it. It connects to that elbow. And if I remember correctly there are 4 pipes that come with the kit for a single and an additional pipe for the stock twins.
http://www.geocities.com/a95supratt/images/singleturbo.jpg
The pipe next to the intake is the one im talking about. That comes wiht the T78 kit

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
95BPUplus said:
I think there is another that comes with the T78 kit.. its about a foot long looks like a J or L depending on which way you look at it. It connects to that elbow. And if I remember correctly there are 4 pipes that come with the kit for a single and an additional pipe for the stock twins.
http://www.geocities.com/a95supratt/images/singleturbo.jpg
The pipe next to the intake is the one im talking about. That comes wiht the T78 kit
Yup, it looks like I'm missing one of the pipes after all. It would be the one labeled I-2. I know it will take forever for Greddy to get one to me, if they even sell it seperately at all. looks like I have to visit the fabricator ($$$$). :mad:

·
SFOT 4 Pit Bulls
978 Posts
medici78 said:
Yup, it looks like I'm missing one of the pipes after all. It would be the one labeled I-2. I know it will take forever for Greddy to get one to me, if they even sell it seperately at all. looks like I have to visit the fabricator ($$$$). :mad:
yeah greddy is going to be a LONG wait im sure.. mine as well get one fabbed.. call greddy to make sure though!

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Go custom and feed it straight down then to the IC. Looks much cleaner.
I dont have any pics right now though. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Supralative said:
Go custom and feed it straight down then to the IC. Looks much cleaner.
I dont have any pics right now though. Good luck.
Thanks for the idea. I saw how yours is on t04r.com. Is there any performance gain when routing them in that fashion? I couldn't figure out if there would be space for the pipes. If only I had gone to another shop, my car would be on the road and I wouldn't be trying to track down parts that were lost in those six months it was gathering dust in the shop. :mad:

·
boost is good
772 Posts
yeah i would do like son said and get some custom pipes and make it go straight down to the endtank rather then through the fender...its alot less piping..that cast elbow and smaller diameter piping greddy give you with the kit (to route like stock twins) cant help spoolup.

theres lots of places online that sell custom bend intercooler piping if you are a DIY kinda guy...just look in there and see what kinda angles you need and it shouldnt be to hard.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, it looks like I'm also missing the studs that bolt onto the downpipe....I really hate this situation. Can someone give me specs for these things? I believe they are 14mm, but the ones I got at a Toyota dealer didn't fit correctly. I am faced with two options, either tap the turbo to make them fit, or find the correct ones. Any suggestions? Thanks.

·
T-Power
1,625 Posts
this is probably what you are missing ->

·
T-Power
1,625 Posts
and this is what you can do ->

·
boost is good
772 Posts
medici78 said:
Well, it looks like I'm also missing the studs that bolt onto the downpipe....I really hate this situation. Can someone give me specs for these things? I believe they are 14mm, but the ones I got at a Toyota dealer didn't fit correctly. I am faced with two options, either tap the turbo to make them fit, or find the correct ones. Any suggestions? Thanks.
if the turbo is out of the car or easy to take out just take it to the hardware store and either find a stud, or just find a bolt that fits...definitely dont try and re-tap the turbo...it shouldnt be to hard to find a stud or bolt that works.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, blkdawg!!! Your pic helped me figure it out. I didn't realize I don't need the pipe marked I-1, since it is for the stock twins. I am still missing the pipe that would have the I-2 sticker that runs through the fender. Now, if only I could get those damn stud bolts.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
gritsak said:
if the turbo is out of the car or easy to take out just take it to the hardware store and either find a stud, or just find a bolt that fits...definitely dont try and re-tap the turbo...it shouldnt be to hard to find a stud or bolt that works.
Would retapping the turbo damage it?

·
T-Power
1,625 Posts
The bolt you need is M10x35mm w/ 1.5 pitch. <- this is for DP.

Hope this help.

·
boost is good
772 Posts
medici78 said:
Would retapping the turbo damage it?
well it would just be really hard..the exhaust housing is cast and i doubt most taps are going to like to be ran through that..and if you mess up then you are gonna be screwed

if you have a napa local they should have the right size bolt

·
Registered
127 Posts
The studs bolts that greddy says to use are a little too long. Or at least they were on mine. When I installed it, the gasket to turbine housing would not seal very well. I had to tighten them up to get them tightened. When I went to remove it a month later to install my Wideband. That one of the bolts stripped out and the head broke off. I was able to get it out with vice grips, but it wasn't pretty.. I measured the depth of the hole and the hole was more shallow than the length of the bolt. I used a shorter bolt and cleaned up the hole with a tap and it works fine. I think the size above is correct M10 X 1.5 pitch, but I would use 30 mm long bolt. Greddy may have messed up on the tap depth of that hole, because I have never heard of anyone else having that problem.

Brian

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
TURBODAWG said:
The studs bolts that greddy says to use are a little too long. Or at least they were on mine. When I installed it, the gasket to turbine housing would not seal very well. I had to tighten them up to get them tightened. When I went to remove it a month later to install my Wideband. That one of the bolts stripped out and the head broke off. I was able to get it out with vice grips, but it wasn't pretty.. I measured the depth of the hole and the hole was more shallow than the length of the bolt. I used a shorter bolt and cleaned up the hole with a tap and it works fine. I think the size above is correct M10 X 1.5 pitch, but I would use 30 mm long bolt. Greddy may have messed up on the tap depth of that hole, because I have never heard of anyone else having that problem.

Brian
odd
make sure you use
anti seize on these bolts

1 - 20 of 23 Posts