Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what would be your choice? They are similar size (T78 = ~67mm), the T66 is availible in ball bearing while the T78 isnt, however I believe GReddy uses lighter shafts (hollow?) which reduces spool up time. Which do you think would produce more power? How about lag differences?

A

·
0 Posts
I would choose the T78....and did :) I think that the T78 is a more durable turbo and that it stems from the center section design....also the reason for no bb option.

·
Registered
84 Posts
From what I understand, The T-66 spools up between 4-4200 RPM(esp w/ smaller exhaust housing). T-78 is 4800-5000 RPM. In both cases to be clear I believe these #'s are for full boost. T-78 is a great drag race turbo, not so good for road race(tho Mad Max does well with it).
I'm looking at getting Innovative's version of the T-66( updated technology of the same turbo) on my 97 tt.
T-78 is too laggy for what I want. I need spool up at least as good as stock.
That what my homework found. Mani Jayasinghe has the t-66 and is delighted w/ it from what I've heard. My spool #'s are from Rob Smith and the Kozeluh Twins(ex-Perf. Factory).

·
SupraForums Sponsor
4,068 Posts
decooper said:
From what I understand, The T-66 spools up between 4-4200 RPM(esp w/ smaller exhaust housing). T-78 is 4800-5000 RPM. In both cases to be clear I believe these #'s are for full boost. T-78 is a great drag race turbo, not so good for road race(tho Mad Max does well with it).
I'm looking at getting Innovative's version of the T-66( updated technology of the same turbo) on my 97 tt.
T-78 is too laggy for what I want. I need spool up at least as good as stock.
That what my homework found. Mani Jayasinghe has the t-66 and is delighted w/ it from what I've heard. My spool #'s are from Rob Smith and the Kozeluh Twins(ex-Perf. Factory).
Would you happen to have any dyno charts from a T-66...I have already seen the one from Steve's site but just want to compare to what other people have done. Thanks, your help is very appreciated.

·
Boostin...
1,265 Posts
The T78 spools up just fine.

Example:
I raced a T62 6spd from a 30 mph roll. I pulled on him. I was expecting to get pulled on initially, due to his smaller turbo spooling quicker, but I got him from the get-go, and he never made any ground up.

Bob

·
Boostin...
1,265 Posts
BTW, when I ran against the T62 we were both on stock fuel systems. He has a GReddy 3 row FMIC and was runing 1.5 bar. I am still on the stock sidemount and was runing 1.1 bar of boost.

Bob

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'd love to see dynosheets as well. I'm just repeating what I've heard. My interest is biased...I have no interest in drag racing which seems to be what you guys are mostly into.

Oops.

·
Blue 03 cobra I wish :)
251 Posts
Re: It's on now Bob

I thoiught t-78's are hella lagggy turbo confused????????/

basupra said:
Will have video of our next encounter. We will soon know the truth Bobby.

Tim
'94 T-62
'91 Stealth TT

·
Registered
84 Posts
That was my point earlier. This is a big #'s drag race turbo. One interesting point...both you guys are boosting how much above 1 bar? I don't see any fuelpump/ rail/ injectors mod. Stock fuel/injectors pump does not support above 500 rwhp. You guys are doing this? Check it out ...
:eek:

·
Boostin...
1,265 Posts
Ok Tim.:)
I never said I pulled you hard or anything. We were basically side by side. My point is that I was supprised I didn't get pulled on by you at the start of the race, due to you having a smaller "quicker spooling" turbo.

Lag is of no issue with this turbo from a roll, not even much of a problem from a dead dig, once you get used to it.

Yes we are both on stock fuel systems. You just have to carefully watch EGT and boost settings. I never run in boost past third gear.

It is going in the garage for the winter next week and will have a FMIC and fuel system installed B4 Spring.

Bob:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts