Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my t88h 34d seized on me and i need to know how fast you guys could get a 38GK, a ny in the states or only from Japan? TIA

·
Premium Member
6,638 Posts
i will have to call Greddy to see if they have any in stock.. if they have anything, it will be approx 7 days to get unless you want to pay extra for shipping.. expect to pay about 2400 for the turbo only...

also you will need to make a new DP

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i talked to gio today, i buy a lot from you guys so he said he could get me 1 for 2100 but it would be 2-3 months... apparently nero found a rebuilt one ready to ship for $2500 so i will be calling you guys tomorrow to pay for it and get it shipped out. thanks

oh, btw, mine is already the 4" v-band so the downpipe will bolt right up, that is why i wanted this turbo and not some off the shelf garret

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
whats so great about this turbo? sorry i dont know that much about this one other than its old.

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the only reason i want it is because my t88h 34d seized and this is rated 100rwhp more than that and it will bolt right up, i dont want to fab anything right now.

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
when you get this turbo on your car, i wanna know how it runs. i have the same thing stitting in my bedroom and wanna know what to expect. at least, my cold side is the same thing youre ordering. my hot side is small... its apparantly custom.

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
turbo was on for a week and pulled very strong at max of 37.4lbs off the wastegaaet spring. never got it to run to its full potential before a valve broke in the 3rd cylinder but from what we could tell spool was the exact same as the 34d.

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
do you recall what size the hotside was? my exhaust housing has a "17" cast into the inlet of the exhaust housing.

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well the regular t88H is a 34d, there is also a t88 34d, both use the same impeller but the H has the larger exhaust wheel. the 38gk is the same as the H but with the 76mm inducer.

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
yeah, the 34D means the T88 gets the "H" suffix for the "high flow" exhaust wheel. i dont know if thats what size me exhaust wheel is though. i have what appears to be a 17cm exhaust housing on mine so i dont think the H wheel will fit in it, but im not sure. i do know my compressor is the 76mm/102mm CNC billet wheel though.

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
a 17cm^2 exhaust housing would be from the t78 33d, the 34d does not mean it is an H, there is a t88 34d and a t88h 34d. you will be able to tell if the compressor wheel is the same as the 38gk by looking at the compressor housing, if it has the anti-surge housing it is from the 38gk.

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
ok, i gotcha... here are some pics of mine, maybe you can make more sense of this than i can.

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok, that is not actually a greddy turbo, that is just a hybrid mitsubishi. it looks like they took the back housing from what would be the t78 combined with the impeller blade of the 38gk and a shaved 34d compressor housing. that actually should be a pretty bad ass turbo, im guessing will outspool the t88h 34d and make as much power. the t88h in my opinion has way too small of an inducer compared to the size of the exhaust wheel.

·
Supraless By Choice
1,430 Posts
ok, i gotcha... here are some pics of mine, maybe you can make more sense of this than i can.

If you are from the Tampa area, i know that there is a guy out there who was modifying the T78's to fit an actual 76mm wheel. Instead of the 66mm wheel which comes in the T78 Garrett turbo. Danny Diaz, one of the old school tampa guys first ran that turbo. I don't think he was ever able to properly dial it in. But yes, should be a high HP turbo with good spooling characteristics. Good luck.
Dan

·
Vendor
4,400 Posts
ok, that is not actually a greddy turbo, that is just a hybrid mitsubishi. it looks like they took the back housing from what would be the t78 combined with the impeller blade of the 38gk and a shaved 34d compressor housing. that actually should be a pretty bad ass turbo, im guessing will outspool the t88h 34d and make as much power. the t88h in my opinion has way too small of an inducer compared to the size of the exhaust wheel.
I disagree, that's a horrible combination. T78 turbine is far too small for that c/whl. The T78 wheel is smaller than a P-Trim turbine, which is smaller than a GT40, which is significantly smaller than a GT42, which is smaller than a T88, which is smaller than a GT45, which is SMALLER STILL than a T88H turbine.

It may not spool quickly, but it (T88H-38GK) makes more horsepower than any 76mm I've ever seen on a street car. It's extremely efficent and still fun to drive.

If you want to run the T78 turbine at least pony up and get the 24cm^2 housing that's available. It still is too small but it's at least a step in the right direction.

flubyux2:

By the way, that's not a billet wheel that's a cast aluminum. The only T88H-38GK that I've seen in billet was the original that GReddy sent to Titan to run on their P-ST Supra back in 2002. Everyone I've seen since then have had the same cast 76mm wheel you have on your turbo.

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
my t88h 38gk is a BILLET ALUMINUM compressor wheel, i will send you pics if you need them, the one in the pics above is cast, no cast for me. i bought my turbo through titan rebuilt off a race car. mark, do you disagree with me that greddy likes to use oversized exhaust wheels with tiny compressor wheels? then why is it you disagree that using a larger compressor with a smaller exhaust is a bad idea? maybe it wont make as much power as a t88 but spool should be significantly better and power should be now far behind. only one way to tell.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts