Supra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 88 turbo with a grinding noise from the lsd differential. The grinding noise only comes on when the car accellerates in the beginning of 1st gear then it completely goes away..and sometime when I do a California-Stop and pop it in to 2nd gear and accellerate it'll grind in the beginning. The rest of the gears are silent. I had a couple of people giving me some solution that it's the drive shaft u-joins..or the gears inside(that I need to get a new LSD replacement)..or adding some kind of LSD fluid that'll make that grinding noise go away. If you can help me out, that would be GREAT!! Thanks a Bunch!!

·
Ludicrous speed! GO!
959 Posts
If it were the driveshaft, there would be vibrations.

I'd change out the diff fluid as a first step.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Odds are, the noise isn't going away after 2nd gear, its just that its drowned out by the road noise.

Try putting the rear end on jackstands with the front wheels blocked and have someone run it through the gears while you're behind the rear diff listening. With no road noise it will be really easy to hear and it also makes it much easier to determine whether its your ring+pinion or u-joints.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I'll be willing to bet that its in all gears, and potentially has more to do with RPM then anything else.

Try accelerating from like 1000 RPM in each gear and see if it does it. Obviously don't smash the throttle, just normal average car speed accelerating, lol.

·
Registered
105 Posts
There is an additive that addresses some noises in the LSD system but I don't remember what it's called. Years ago, I had the differential rebuilt on an '89 mgte 5-speed.
It worked beautifully for about a year, and then all of a sudden it started making some God awful grumbling sounds, which quickly escalated in to a pretty scary roar.
Needless to say, I took it back to the differential shop. They put a small container of fluid in to the unit. It seems like they said that it had something to do with the friction pads. I think that they told me the product was made by Ford. As I said earlier, I don't remember the details, but the noise immediately went away and never returned!
Hope that my foggy recollection is of some help to you!

·
It's only the beginning..
690 Posts
Equa-torque is the stuff, it fixed my moms problem in her Roadmaster. We use it in out differental fluid drain and fills at Jiffy Lube. Hope that helped.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've got the same thing in a car I just bought. It's an '89 with 95,000. It was driven really tame by an older lady, who passed it to her son. He is in his 30's and tells me it's always been babied. I have found nothing to contradict that. It is bone stock and exceptionally clean for a northeast car I'm sure has seen snow. I explain this because I'm wondering if there is an inherent problem since the car wasn't beat. I've used Redline anti-shock on my MKII and it works great I'm gonna throw some in the MKIII and see what happens.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Little change...I was afraid of that. looks like time to strip 'er down. Any cool rebuild stuff on the MKIII with a/t?

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
If it's a clutch pack problem, LSD treatment fluid will clean it up.
There are several brands of it, the last of which I saw at Auto Zone.
I had the clutch pack problem but it was more prevalent on corners.
I put Royal Purple gear oil in it. This has the LSD conditioner already added and cleared up my problem in 200 feet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts