Supra Forums banner

Would you be interested in a Group A Replica pan?

• Yes defiantly, where do I sign

Votes: 28 39.4%
  • Depends on the cost

Votes: 38 53.5%
  • No

Votes: 5 7.0%

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
You know who!

But even the rear brake kit was too expensive. I think you had a whole kit up for sale at 120.00 if I am not mistaken. How many takers did you have there?

Jake

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
jake- tell me more about how you centered the rear MKIVtt disc on the MKIII hub....and how much did you ask for those and the threaded inserts? i should have picked up a set from you....

·
Registered
266 Posts
Doc,

Talk to Dean. He is selling them. I think Dean even has pictures up somewhere.

Jake

·
greasemonkey
3,125 Posts
jake, if you were smart youd have the same disclaimer. this protects against people that install it incorectly and wreck and hurt/kill someone. this protects against lawsuits.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Not to interrupt this chat ;) , but is the "ghetto" trick to avoid oil starvation to run an extra quart of oil?

Jake, I have not had the pleasure of seeing your work. Do you have any pics? I hate cheap quality work and seriously admire a good job.

·
Registered
266 Posts
williamb82 said:
jake, if you were smart youd have the same disclaimer. this protects against people that install it incorectly and wreck and hurt/kill someone. this protects against lawsuits.
I have too carry liability insurance. Its actually a little more involved than just putting that disclaimer. There are a couple of certifications you have to get before that disclaimer actually protects you.

Jake

·
Registered
266 Posts
smooth3d said:
Not to interrupt this chat ;) , but is the "ghetto" trick to avoid oil starvation to run an extra quart of oil?

Jake, I have not had the pleasure of seeing your work. Do you have any pics? I hate cheap quality work and seriously admire a good job.
The trick is to keep the oil around the sump by slowing its retreat. That is what the baffling does.

I am no longer making anything for Supras. Dean Marcum has bought all my extra parts and the last I heard he was selling some stuff.

Jake

·
greasemonkey
3,125 Posts
Jakespeeds said:
I have too carry liability insurance. Its actually a little more involved than just putting that disclaimer. There are a couple of certifications you have to get before that disclaimer actually protects you.

Jake
well, jim king is an engineer iirc so he may have those certificates. i dont know. he does things for a reason and i have his bbk for the front of my mkii and am very pleased with it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I don't see why you would not be happy with his kit. He did a good job. I have no idea if he carries insurance or not. That's up too him. I have 36 employees with families too think about. Would not be a good Christmas if we closed down because we got sued.

Jake

·
25psi = 14" brakes :)
2,306 Posts
So, nobody is going to modify stock pans, or at the very least make a nice CNC windage tray that could be added to a stock pan? (Should be easy to do with the right equipment, but I don't have that machine in my garage... )

I'm working on a stroker motor, so it would be a problem I'm sure as the rods are hanging down there quite a bit further than stock. But, the concept is still the same.

I guess it's just easier to put a Canton accusump into the oil system and call it a day. (And run slightly over full as Dr.J noted many of us do already.)

F

·
0 Posts
I can understand going after oil starvation with a larger capacity pan, but I don't get how it's going to affect oil pressure without a better pump.

·
Be original, not a copy
861 Posts
Higher volume (from a larger pan) = cooler oil = slightly higher pressure. Higher volume (from a larger pan) = more oil reserve=less chance of cavitation (oil starvation) during hard moves.

The stock baffle can be modified to aid in oil drain back to the sump however, it does not help in containing the oil on hard turns (look at the way the stock baffle functions and you will see what I mean). The wings on the side of the sump should greatly help to eliminate that problem though.

I first noticed this when I first got the red Supra. If the oil was not exactly on the full mark and I took a turn hard (or even launched hard) the oil pressure would drop 5-15 psi (aftermarket mechanical oil pressure gauge. You will not see this drop on a stock gauge as it is "buffered" to prevent any quick movements). That's when I started running a 1/2 quart over the full mark, 9 years or so ago. I noticed a good deal more oil "mist" in the PCV system though because the crank was whipping the oil up (no windage tray). It has never aerated the oil enough to cause a pressure problem (to many air bubbles in the oil will make the pump compress the air bubbles out instead of compressing the oil which lowers overall pressure) but the crank windage was definitely causing a loss in power/mileage plus filling up the catch can sooner than it should be.

Now that I have lowered the pickup deeper into the pan and with the baffle mods I only run about ¼ quart over full with no problems BUT I am sure that a pan with the wings on the side would have solved all the problems just as easily.

That'll be another project on the "to do" list. Right now I do not have any oil pressure problems and have experienced no oil related failures (like Dr Jonez) but there is a bit of power to be found there plus, if I include a sticker and it is called "JDM" it'll probably sell like hotcakes, lol.

·
Boost Addict
622 Posts
NavyCuda said:
I can build an EXACT duplicate in all sheet metal... but I make my pans out of 16 gauge for strenth, which would add weight to the already heavy mkiii.

If someone wants one of these pans in just sheetmetal, I can defaintly do that. It would take about 2 days for me to build (all hand built).

I am looking into the options for cast, I might have an injection mold made and go the route of investment molding. I have the equipment to cast aluminum up at my shop... just not the mold.

So if someone does for sure want one of these pans in straight sheet metal... let me know.
NavyCuda, any interest in still doing this? What about the sheetmetal ones? (I don't really care what the oil pan is made of, as long as it works ;) ). If you are, PM or email me, let me know pricing, time frame, etc.
Thanks!

41 - 60 of 64 Posts