Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
rockin the two tone
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting rid of the Supra for something with more room and more luxury. I have been looking at GS300/400 and CLK 430/55 AMG. Also there is the IS300 as well but haven't really looked into it. I want something that is quick for a sedan/coupe lower end luxo car, but I know it will feel like nothing compared to the Supra. I really like the 430/55 but then again it has a back seat almost like a Supra. I always hear Mercedes maintenance is ungodly expensive, any insight into that? THat's a big reason I've been looking at the Lexus, cheaper parts and labor plus the GS would have lots of room in the back seat.

Any owners of these cars that would like to offer any opinions on them would be greatly appreciated. Also if I'm overlooking any nice cars in this category, please bring them to my attention :)

I'm about to go test drive the CLK, I'm sure I'll be disappointed going from a BPU supra to that.

·
4,109 Posts
GS, hands down, if for no other reason that they're tons more reliable than MB these days. Plus you can turbo the 300;) Voila, best of both worlds:D

·
592 Posts
Ok, heres the scoop. I too wanted something alittle more practical and cumbersome to own, so I sold my Supra and bought a 98 GS300. I have absolutely no complaints about the car, it has never given me any problems and it has thus far been fairly inexpensive to maintain. However, the void of not having a Supra is far too great and the GS300 isnt all that fun to drive, so you will want one again.

If youre thinking luxury cars, I really wouldn'd consider the IS300 to fall in that category. The interior looks cheap and the seats aren't even all leather. The exterior looks like a boxy four door Civic. On the plus side, if may be more fun to drive and mod, especially if you pick up the 5-speed.

All in all, I would keep the Supra for weekend fun and pick up a 98-00 GS300 for a daily driver, then you'll have the best of both worlds.

·
I have auto ADD.
4,568 Posts
Are you looking to buy new or used? If you tell us how much you are willing to spend we could be more help.

E55 :bigthumb:

·
Sheep on the hood...
511 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I love my GS400, so I'm prolly being biased, but get the GS!! You can also get the 400 and get the SRT turbo kit. Heres my GS:)

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
well i for one love amg cars. they are a blast to drive when the computer dont fuck up.

At the same time i sold a supra for a CLK for the wife back in 00... we made 2 years with the CLK, but i always wanted another supra, I even went as far to help out a friend which put me in a blown cobra that ran low 11's if you could get it to hook. ( most of the time it ran 15.0-15.3 @130-133 mph :) ) anyway i had to back to a dog.

So from two people in the post that learned the hard way.... Keep the supra, Also if you want a daily those GS300 go for ever. Pick up a 98-99 model with over a 100K do the service on them and ride. You can probably get one of them for $8-10K now if you look.

On the other hand, if you want something fun, ok fast, and stock you should go with the CLK55. Just be ready to buy tires.... they spinn a lot :)

·
!black
4,625 Posts
I had a bunch of problems w/ my CLK430. Most of them minor, but all of them sure take a toll on the wallet (MB dealers throw in the complimentary tube of KY with every service).

Lexus > most euro cars by far.

·
rockin the two tone
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm looking to spend at most 25. The more I think I see more old ladies driving clk320's and 430s. What are the big differences between the GS300 and 400 besides the V6 and V8.

If I could keep the supra and get a GS believe me I would.

·
I have auto ADD.
4,568 Posts
Well if you're looking at spending about $25k I probably wouldn't go with the Benz. They will cost a lot to maintain and lots of little things break and you can bet when something breaks it will be expensive to fix.

·
rockin the two tone
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I've abandoned the idea of getting a Merc.. now if only someone would buy my dawg

·
rockin the two tone
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Kerr, check it out in the Cars for sale forum, I had the red MKIV that met you on the way to the shoot out in Atlanta.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts