Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking at luxury sedans for the past few months and I've been primarily trying to stay under $27,000 if I can for my next car. For the longest time I've been dead set on a GS350 AWD but have been entertaining myself by checking out other competitors. About a week ago (after my brother bought a G35x) I started checking out infiniti and nissan. The maximas have really jumped out at me. Was really wondering what everyone else's opinions are from people who have owned/driven them.

I'm a features whore so I'm holding out until I find a Maxima/GS with all of the tech options like Mark Levinson, DVD playback, etc.

QUICK BREAKDOWN OF WHAT I LIKE ABOUT BOTH

**GS350**
- best factory sound system I've ever heard w/ ML package.
- Factory LED interior/exterior lighting
- Lexus quiet.. it really is amazing how quiet this car is while going down the road.
- better gas mileage than the Maxima by at least a couple mpg.
- faster, or at least feels like it is.
- AWD option (good for me considering winter blows if all you have is a RWD car)

**Maxima**
- dual sunroofs (very nice feature, one of the main things I like about Mercedes)
- RCA plug ins for my Iphone so I can stream youtube/netflix on my nav screen.
- very cold AC seats.
- weather info/radar map.
- dial phone numbers while moving
- more space
- paddle shifters, doubt I'll use them much but they're a nice touch.
- newer/cheaper with better extended warranty.
- Ipod interface with music.
- HDD so I can load music from my ipod and save it to the nav unit.
- Bluetooth audio for pandora if i happen to forget my RCA cable/FM transmitter.

It seems like the Maxima, on paper, is the better deal. At this point, I think it's the best bang for buck that I've driven. 2011 with every tech option available was $36k.. I'm not interested in buying new due to depreciation but compare that to the 50k+ price of the Lexus GS350 AWD.. Just curious as to what everyone else thinks. I'm really up in arms about this at the moment. I'm such a fickle person when it comes to buying almost ANYTHING.

·
Registered
554 Posts
My cousins have been big on Maximas their entire life. I have always been a big fan of them, but after a couple years they always seem to lose the polished feel. Not to say that they fall apart or anything like that, but I just get the impression that they don't seem to hold up as well as a Lexus would.

I doubt their is much truth to it, but its just some food for thought.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My cousins have been big on Maximas their entire life. I have always been a big fan of them, but after a couple years they always seem to lose the polished feel. Not to say that they fall apart or anything like that, but I just get the impression that they don't seem to hold up as well as a Lexus would.

I doubt their is much truth to it, but its just some food for thought.
lol.. kinda like the Mitsubishi Eclipse. Holy hell.. I don't think there's ever been a car that ages worse than those piles of crap do. Paint/Clearcoat oxidizes and chips, interior looks weathered and faded. Buttons fall apart.

I'm usually pretty good about keeping my cars clean inside and out as nothing gets to me more than rolling around in a dirty/beat up car lol. But I would say you're probably right. From what I've seen Lexus is one of the longer lasting cars that I've had. My mom's IS350 is only an 06' but wash it and clean out the interior a bit for her and it looks like it did on day 1.

·
Weapon of Mass Affection
3,778 Posts
They are both pretty bad choices for the money. I could list all the alternatives but to be honest neither is exciting or luxurious. My point being that ultimately you are settling for a dated over priced car with either choice listed. A Legacy GT sounds like a good match and is atleast as well equipped as the Maxima and more engaging than the Lexus. Understated car tbh.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are both pretty bad choices for the money. I could list all the alternatives but to be honest neither is exciting or luxurious. My point being that ultimately you are settling for a dated over priced car with either choice listed. A Legacy GT sounds like a good match and is atleast as well equipped as the Maxima and more engaging than the Lexus. Understated car tbh.

soo.. like this..

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=300511644&dealer_id=91295&car_year=2010&systime=&doors=&model=LEGACY&search_lang=en&start_year=2010&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&search_type=both&distance=0&min_price=0&rdm=1310085098674&drive=&marketZipError=false&advanced=&fuel=&keywords_display=&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=2012&showZipError=n&make2=&certified=&engine=&dma=SPRINGFIELD_MO&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=0&transmission=&default_sort=&max_mileage=&color=&address=65809&sort_type=priceDESC&max_price=30000&make=SUB&seller_type=b&num_records=25&cardist=1032&standard=false

over this..?
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=c&car_id=297891279&dealer_id=74829&car_year=2010&systime=&doors=&model=MAX&search_lang=en&start_year=2010&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&search_type=both&distance=0&min_price=0&rdm=1310085340266&drive=&marketZipError=false&advanced=&fuel=&keywords_display=&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=2012&showZipError=n&make2=&certified=&engine=&dma=SPRINGFIELD_MO&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=0&transmission=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&color=&address=65809&sort_type=priceDESC&max_price=29000&make=NISSAN&seller_type=b&num_records=25&cardist=1009&standard=false

Maybe it's just me but the legacy just looks like a cheaper car aimed at more of the "boy racer" crowd. : /

Don't think they come with any kind of DVD playback, weather updates/radar, bluetooth audio, less power, only ONE sunroof, no heated steering wheel, I don't think they have a/c seats either, looks like less room in the back as well, and slightly poorer gas mileage. I'm sure they're decent cars but like I said, I'm a features whore. Audio/Video/Nav features are my weakness in a sedan.

·
Weapon of Mass Affection
3,778 Posts
You can get a 3.6 instead but from what I've seen the Subaru will cost more then. I just don't see a Maxima or GS being better in poor weather conditions. Admittedly the Subaru may very well be less equipped but seriously the Maxima isn't something I would cross shop with a GS in the first place. I think it's a pretty boy racer car itself.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can get a 3.6 instead but from what I've seen the Subaru will cost more then. I just don't see a Maxima or GS being better in poor weather conditions. Admittedly the Subaru may very well be less equipped but seriously the Maxima isn't something I would cross shop with a GS in the first place. I think it's a pretty boy racer car itself.
I've yet to drive an AWD sedan that doesn't get around just fine in snow/ice.

I don't see why I wouldn't compare them. They're both well-equipped sedans with comfortable interior, a soft ride, and a mid-high 20s price tag if you get them used. I don't think either of them would qualify as boy racer. Doesn't sound like you've ever driven either of these cars.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My Dad has a 2010 Maxima. Not the loaded model you've described, but one of the base models instead. I love it! To be honest its a little too powerful for FWD, and you get some torque steer in the upper RPM's. The CVT is a blast to drive though, quicker than the manual and better gas mileage too. No problems whatsoever in 30k miles.

I'm a big fan of the GS', but also keep in mind that the AWD model won't get nearly the same gas mileage as the standard 2WD model.

·
Registered
17,677 Posts
Get the GS350, I know 2 people with GS's, neither one was a "Lexus" person, both LOVE the car. The GS is one of the most underrated cars on the market today.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This. How can you call a Maxima "boy racer"? At no point in the model's existence has it been anything but understated.

OP: I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. Sounds to me as though you're leaning towards the Maxima.
I think I am for the fact that for 26-27k i can get a 2010 fully loaded with under 30,000 miles and stream netflix on the screen without having to spend $500 on an integration kit like I have to with the lexus and it's far more spacious in the back which will be nice for longer car rides with friends. So many things I love about the Lexus tho but I'm thinking it may be a smart move to buy a Maxima now and then maybe in a few years upgrade to like an AWD LS460 once I'm a little better off financially. Lol.. Who knows, my gf is wanting to upgrade too. Maybe I'll just make her buy a GS lol. Then I'll have both in a way! : )

I suppose my main point with this thread to see if anyone has every had issues or complaints with the maximas.

·
Registered
17,677 Posts
I think I am for the fact that for 26-27k i can get a 2010 fully loaded with under 30,000 miles and stream netflix on the screen without having to spend $500 on an integration kit like I have to with the lexus and it's far more spacious in the back which will be nice for longer car rides with friends. So many things I love about the Lexus tho but I'm thinking it may be a smart move to buy a Maxima now and then maybe in a few years upgrade to like an AWD LS460 once I'm a little better off financially. Lol.. Who knows, my gf is wanting to upgrade too. Maybe I'll just make her buy a GS lol. Then I'll have both in a way! : )

I suppose my main point with this thread to see if anyone has every had issues or complaints with the maximas.
Drive them both and then buy the one you buy the best.

And then please post pics of your new GS350;) There's a reason a GS350 costs $~15K+ more than a Maxima…..

·
Weapon of Mass Affection
3,778 Posts
Sorry but Maximas have large negative connotations attached to them in any civilized area. Check cardomain for lulz. I have driven both, I just happen to know Nissan is not on par with Lexus. BTW I have had several LS of varying years paid for in cash, new.
I've yet to drive an AWD sedan that doesn't get around just fine in snow/ice.

I don't see why I wouldn't compare them. They're both well-equipped sedans with comfortable interior, a soft ride, and a mid-high 20s price tag if you get them used. I don't think either of them would qualify as boy racer. Doesn't sound like you've ever driven either of these cars.

·
Registered
966 Posts
GS350 with out question.. The interior, ride quality and overall luxury feel smokes the Maxima

·
PREPOSTERONE
921 Posts
g37 sedan is a better drivers car than both with all of the entertainment/interior features you like on the maxima

with an awd option as well.

theres a reason the g sells as well as it does, its a great car.

·
Registered
899 Posts
GS350 with out question.. The interior, ride quality and overall luxury feel smokes the Maxima
I agree with the interior and luxury feel, but the ride straight up blows.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.