Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone . I’m looking to upgrade my cam . I have 2jzgte vvti and on 93 octane /
Meth kit .. aem infinity /6266 .. I can’t decided between the two . Anyone have experience with both and can comment or do y’all think i wouldn’t be able to tell the difference in my setup ? It’s going to be a street / track occasionally. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I’m curious about this as well. I have gsc s1 vvti cams but have heard good things about kelford also

·
Registered
836 Posts
I have the older T202-C cams, 268/272. BPU car otherwise, so it's over-cammed. TONS of low-end grunt now compared to stock. The most amazing lopey idle at around 800rpm. Will be adding an FSR Street Fighter single kit this spring, 6266 or 6466.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the older T202-C cams, 268/272. BPU car otherwise, so it's over-cammed. TONS of low-end grunt now compared to stock. The most amazing lopey idle at around 800rpm. Will be adding an FSR Street Fighter single kit this spring, 6266 or 6466.
Appreciate the input .. I heard there a lovey idle with kelford , which I would like .. I also considered kelford cause I hear they were the quietest out of cams for the vvti . I had a tomie cam and BC springs and sounded like a diesel truck from the 80s lol

·
Registered
78 Posts
I went with the GSC S1 bc they are billet and I’ve heard nothing but great things. My head is done but waiting for everything to be assembled so I really can’t give you much more than the Reaearch I did. Kelford seems to be what most people ran some years ago and now everyone seems to be moving to the GSC S’s bc they are billet and performance wise seems to like them more.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went with the GSC S1 bc they are billet and I’ve heard nothing but great things. My head is done but waiting for everything to be assembled so I really can’t give you much more than the Reaearch I did. Kelford seems to be what most people ran some years ago and now everyone seems to be moving to the GSC S’s bc they are billet and performance wise seems to like them more.
Thanks man and agree def seems like hks and kelford were the cams that everyone used years ago now everyone has GsC .. I do
Like that they are billet as well ..but some people swear by kelford saying how smooth the power band is and how quite it is .. 🤯.. might just go with gsc and call it a day . I honestly don’t think I notice the difference or can tell what cam was in a car when I drive it

·
Inline for the win
4,764 Posts
Kelford C's here since GSCs were on backorder back in 2014 when my engine was being built. No issues since installed in 2014 not to mention a great powerband in 3.4L

DP

Reactions: White2jz350z

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Like that they are billet as well ..but some people swear by kelford saying how smooth the power band is and how quite it is .. 🤯.. might just go with gsc and call it a day .
Last I heard, all 2JZ cams were made from Kelford blanks with the exception of HKS. So there should be no difference in material, unless something has changed in the last 10 years.

Al

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
There's a known issue with GSC billet cams where they dig into the buckets (shims, if you're still using shim over buckets) if the buckets aren't DLC coated. More info on it in this FB thread: Facebook Groups

·
Super Moderator
10,753 Posts
There's a known issue with GSC billet cams where they dig into the buckets (shims, if you're still using shim over buckets) if the buckets aren't DLC coated. More info on it in this FB thread: Facebook Groups
I've been recently made aware that the new GSC billet cams are very sensitive to proper break-in, much like a flat tappet cam in a pushrod engine. Ignoring the proper break in procedure will lead to issues just like that.

Reactions: White2jz350z

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting .. I just joined the group .. my name is Anthony daversa any way u can tag me in that Discussion on Facebook and Appreciate that I haven’t heard that before

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I have the billet s1 for over 2 years. Should I be concerned?

·
Super Moderator
10,753 Posts
I have the billet s1 for over 2 years. Should I be concerned?
If it was going to be a problem, it would have been a problem about 1.95 years ago. It's a break-in issue.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Thank bud good to know. I have standard shims and buckets but I did hear something about the shimless bucket being more susceptible to the issue.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts