Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen the graphs on the GT74 DBB and it seems to be highly recommended by you !(Ryan) I need your advice/experiences with this turbo on a built auto set-up ! How do you think it will perform, rwhp, rwtq , spooling w/3800 stall ! Are there any members/customers that you can refer me to that have this turbo on a built toyota tranny so I can see some real world results ? There is a member (Whistlingblur) that is selling a GT74DBB with an R-wheel that said he bought it directly from you , as I now it is in his hands and not yours, can you vouch for the integrity of the turbo and the seller ? Is this the same turbo on your website w/stock motor and 264 cams or was that a Q-trim ? I just am very impressed with the graphs for that size turbo and I think it will meet or exceed my goals with less boost which will hopefully help with the longevity of the motor which will be stock with 264 cams !

·
19in 795R HRE's FTW....
6,305 Posts
A GT74 on a built auto will run well into the 9's and work very very well. Dana ran low 9's on a 74mm turbo and Daniel in Vegas ran a 9.4 on a 74mm turbo as well!

Call me or e-mail me and we can talk about a setup like this

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Were these nitrous assisted runs or all boost ? Tried calling you but keep getting the message about not recieving calls at this time ! Thanks for the response and I will try again later !

·
Registered
827 Posts
Doesn't Dana use a very high stall tc though? Like 5,000 +? He also uses a TH400 tranny with a transbrake.

I too would like to know what kind of 60-foot and 1/4 mile times can be reasonably expected with a 3,800 stall and a 74mm turbo like this.

It seems like there is a magic crossover point with the automatic Supra and turbos without nitrous. Somewhere in the 71 to 74mm turbo range, your 60-foots start to suffer enough to where it makes a nine second pass difficult with boost alone. Many guys are doing NOS out of the hole to spool-up.

Also, lets assume this is a built Toyota tranny, no NOS and no AEM anti-lag. Lets say the car is a 74DBB turbo with a 3,800 to 4,000 stall tc and a VPC setup. What then?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
you might want to get a hold of Patrick (cummins). He had the 74dbb on a sp built trans with midwest 4k stall and after one week of driving the converter was shot. From what he was telling me the trans was the weak link in the setup as it is pushing the limits of the toyo trans. He recently installed a th400 with pro torque converter.

carlo

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I'm sure Carlo knows what benchmark is, he runs the "benchmark" BL tranny.

SP trans is more built than the BL. BL's is an upgrade while SP's is a full rebuild. Mine fried on the dyno without any street time! It died during tuning.

Bottom line, a 74 mm turbo puts out too much power for the toy trans and if you go that route you're on borrowed time. Get a th400 if you plan on using a 74 or bigger.

·
Registered
187 Posts
cummins said:
I'm sure Carlo knows what benchmark is, he runs the "benchmark" BL tranny.

SP trans is more built than the BL. BL's is an upgrade while SP's is a full rebuild. QUOTE]

Can you elaborate on this please? I'm not vouching for either, as a matter of fact, I am trying to decide who to take my business to (SP or BL). And learning about what really goes into these trannys could help me justify the price difference. You get what you pay for, but not all the time and I think we all know this holds true.

·
SupraForums Manufacturer
3,333 Posts
Ask suprattnsa, Tony Bonilla.

Hes had our 74mm dbb kit and built trans for over a year. If you have any specific questions regarding our transmission please give us a call at the shop to go over the details.

·
Registered
919 Posts
please post w/e info you find out about the gt74 gtq and the built auto cuz I'm lookin at the same route.. however I was thinkin of the 71gtq cuz i hear the power is = with not that much difference in boost..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts