Supra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the notice the other day... Have to bring the supra through emissions. We are running the MAP ECU with the gt2835's.. Is there any tricks to getting it through emissions? We dont have a cat on it either, but I can get that past the visual check. Its just the computer portion I am worried about... Its a '94 by the way....

Any Ideas???

·
Registered
980 Posts
You could make another map and lean it out. Should work if they're just revving it. If they road/dyno it that could be risky.

Also, I've never tried it, but you may be able to take away fuel with the TPS enrichment feature. So when they rev it, it takes fuel out.

They don't visually inspect for cats?

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
No way in hell - my advice... take bribe money.

·
(overspooled)
2,836 Posts
on a 94, they will probably probe it and hook up a tach wire. If your car is tuned right and you can pass the visual it should blow clean...they don't test under load so it should be ok, usually they will run it at 2500rpm for a minute or so and at idle...(atleast thats basically what they do out here in the wild west....)Bribe money is always a good plan, I think I have the only ULEV supra in the country ;). Make sure you have fresh plugs gapped a little wider than you would for boost and thin out your map a little bit if you are planning on going through with it. good luck! find out as much as you can about the actual test and maybe some more ideas might head your way...

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok... CT does use the dyno on the OBD1 cars. I believe they run it at a constant 25mph for a couple of minutes. They also check the gas cap which is no big deal and they do a visual for the cats. I brought it through before the GT2835's with no cats but told the inspector that the cat was up under the turbos and you cant see it. Of course he believed me. I have another car I have to bring through today, so I will talk to the inspector and see what can be done.

CT got REALLY strict on the bribery. I use to be able to get a pass sticker with paperwork for 40 bucks.... Not anymore!!

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Yeah, that's what I thought. My old job was designing emissions systems such as the one that may be in use in CT. The test is still ASM5015 and/or ASM 2525 and is a loaded test.
Regarless if it is just a two-speed idle or a ASM test, I don't believe too many inspectors would pass you on the visual.
No offense implied here but did you consider this along with ownership of this vehicle? In CA, we are conditioned to think about this along with our plans for mods.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MtFujiSupra said:
Yeah, that's what I thought. My old job was designing emissions systems such as the one that may be in use in CT. The test is still ASM5015 and/or ASM 2525 and is a loaded test.
Regarless if it is just a two-speed idle or a ASM test, I don't believe too many inspectors would pass you on the visual.
No offense implied here but did you consider this along with ownership of this vehicle? In CA, we are conditioned to think about this along with our plans for mods.

Thanks for the input, but I have had it pass the visual check three times with no cats, so I know it wont be a problem.
I did consider the emissions issues with the car, but a wiseman once told me "there is always a loophole"

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, its been about a month. Went through emissions today, and it passed with flying colors..... YAY for me...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts