Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GT37/67 is it the same as the BL67 ?

And is the BL67 the one with the .70 A/R S-Cover?

vnt :naughty:

·
Registered
9,759 Posts
vntperformance said:
GT37/67 is it the same as the BL67 ?

And is the BL67 the one with the .70 A/R S-Cover?

vnt :naughty:
I can read your mind....did you bid on it, LOL :bigthumb:

·
Registered
117 Posts
please speak more felloas... im not a mind reader. what seperates the 2 turbos? just a dbb?? along with some coolant lines. a supposed quicker spool time? and just a more durable turbo?

·
Premium Member
4,435 Posts
There is no GT37R. AMS is the only company I know of that uses the name "GT37R". AMS's GT37R is a 67mm compressor wheel with a P trim turbine wheel in a dual ball bearing configuration

<Edit>
I wish there was a GT37R or GT3767R. I have tuned a car with a GT3767S. Great turbo
</Edit>

·
Registered
71 Posts
alpha said:
There is no GT37R. AMS is the only company I know of that uses the name "GT37R". AMS's GT37R is a 67mm compressor wheel with a P trim turbine wheel in a dual ball bearing configuration

<Edit>
I wish there was a GT37R or GT3767R. I have tuned a car with a GT3767S. Great turbo
</Edit>
Where you get the info??Weren't that this is a secret??

·
Premium Member
4,435 Posts
EVOFans said:
Where you get the info??Weren't that this is a secret??
I got a chance to hold an "AMS GT37R". I asked if I could measure the turbine wheel. The owner said ok. And right off I knew it was a 67mm compressor wheel. Below is my post on a local forum and Martin from AMS's post in the same thread. Not bashing AMS. They do great work

Alpha said:
No. The turbine wheel isn't a GT35R turbine wheel. It's an older style P trim turbine wheel. Compressor wheel is a T67 compressor wheel. Order a PT-67R with a P trim turbine wheel from Precision. Same turbo.
Mjmusial said:
And for the turbo questions. I just gave that combination a name that we could fit into our EVO turbo kit lineup. Garrett has no 37R. It's really no big deal.

-Martin
AMS

·
Premium Member
4,435 Posts
Oh. And I do have a Precision PT67R P trim or "AMS GT37R" sitting here waiting togo on a car :bigthumb:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ah yes they do , search GT3782R and GT3788R .

Stage 1 751473-0013S
Stage 2 751473-5001
Stage 3 751473-5006S

GT37 turbine 72.5mm 78 trim , St 1and 2 .89 AR turbine housing , St 3 .99AR .
St 1 and 2 use 82mm comp wheels in 50 and 56 trims , St 3 88mm 52 trim .

Integral waste gate , port shrouded comp cover .

Not sure which housings AMS uses for their version of the 37R .

Cheers .

·
Premium Member
4,435 Posts
discopotato03 said:
Ah yes they do , search GT3782R and GT3788R .

Stage 1 751473-0013S
Stage 2 751473-5001
Stage 3 751473-5006S

GT37 turbine 72.5mm 78 trim , St 1and 2 .89 AR turbine housing , St 3 .99AR .
St 1 and 2 use 82mm comp wheels in 50 and 56 trims , St 3 88mm 52 trim .

Integral waste gate , port shrouded comp cover .

Not sure which housings AMS uses for their version of the 37R .

Cheers .
Garrett does not produce a GT3767RLS. Never have and probably never will unless someone wants to drop a good chunk of change. AMS's "GT37R" has nothing in common with Garrett's GT37. It doesnt even use a GT style wheel. It uses an older P trim turbine wheel

<Edit>
I'm glad they started offering the GT37 in a duall ball bearing configuration though :D I might have to give it a try
</Edit>

·
Registered
25 Posts
To quote J.Cav the GT37R are a Cummins Diesel turbo upgrade which is shown I think in the Power Stroke Diesel section of turbobygarrett.com site , not to be confused with the reverse rotation GTP38R for Fords .

The turbines are "HP" rather than "UHP" series which I think most GT BB cartridges use and the GT37R have the GT40R type centre section .

He mentioned that stage 2 uses the BCI18 compressor which I take to mean same as GT3582R's comp , and stage 3 uses the 88mm 52 trim C117 comp from the GT4088R . The stage 1 uses a "bespoke" 82mm 50T . The only wheels I know of in this dimension are from the bush bearing GT4082 or the ball bearing GT3040R (GT3082R) 50 trim .

If AMS's "37R" has a P trim turbine then there appears to be no logic in that firms numbering system . Like I said IF . Not flaming anyone .

Cheers Adrian .

·
Premium Member
4,435 Posts
AMS may have changed their "GT37R" configuration. Their first configuration was a 67mm compressor wheel with a P trim turbine wheel. I cant remember when the below took place. Not hating on AMS at all. Their cars and work are very impressive

Alpha said:
No. The turbine wheel isn't a GT35R turbine wheel. It's an older style P trim turbine wheel. Compressor wheel is a T67 compressor wheel. Order a PT-67R with a P trim turbine wheel from Precision. Same turbo.
Mjmusial said:
And for the turbo questions. I just gave that combination a name that we could fit into our EVO turbo kit lineup. Garrett has no 37R. It's really no big deal.

-Martin
AMS

·
Registered
8 Posts
AFAIK, The GT37R that AMS sells is still a DBB 67mm compressor with P trim turbine.

That GT3788R sounds interesting. I wonder what it would do on a Supra(or any 3-4L gas engine)... I'd bet that it's pretty similar to a PT67 DBB as far as spool and power. Until now, I had narrowed my own choices down to 3 turbos, the PT67 DBB, GT4088R, and GT3567R. This might add a fourth to consider...

Tim

·
Premium Member
4,435 Posts
timg said:
AFAIK, The GT37R that AMS sells is still a DBB 67mm compressor with P trim turbine.

That GT3788R sounds interesting. I wonder what it would do on a Supra(or any 3-4L gas engine)... I'd bet that it's pretty similar to a PT67 DBB as far as spool and power. Until now, I had narrowed my own choices down to 3 turbos, the PT67 DBB, GT4088R, and GT3567R. This might add a fourth to consider...

Tim
I'm very interested in the new dual ball bearing GT37R turbochargers. I'm going to look into them more. I tuned an 84mm B series (2.0 liter) Honda with the T4 PT-67RLS I posted earlier in the thread. Made full boost / 10lbs by 5300RPM. Going to tune it for 14lbs Sunday. Felt like 350whp @ 10lbs on a conservative street tune / calibration

·
Premium Member
4,435 Posts
Starting todo some research on the GT37R's you mentioned. I couldn't find them in the Garrett online catalog so I will have todo some more research after I get home tonight. They only list a GT3776 (CHRA 452159-1) and a GT3782 (CHRA 452159-3)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've also done some calling around. I've been able to find them, but only with the larger, internally wastegated, divided T3 turbine housing that the diesel version uses. Most people seem to know nothing about them and those that are willing to listen simply say that alternative, T4 based turbine housings aren't available...

Tim

·
Registered
25 Posts
timg said:

Tim

Tim I get mixed messages about that GT3567R , FR Geoff did some testing recently and the response compared to a vanilla GT3582R was not so hot . I think the GT35 BB turbine at 68mm is a little small in diametre to drive an 84mm compressor especially a 63 trim one like the TO4R wheel .

Personal opinion but the reason the TO4Z's worked ok was the larger 74.4mm 76 trim (TO4 P trim) turbine had a large enough diametre to drive the R wheel and a small enough exducer diametre (trim size) to make it responsive . If we had a HP or UHP turbine in the same dimensions it could be better . ATM the GT37R or BB turbine (72.5mm 78T) is probably as good as it gets in this approximate size range and with suitable housings I'd say has a bright future .

My gut feeling is that the trend with big G's BB turbines will be healthy diametres in relation to compressor diametre and trim sizes in the 76-78 area rather than 84 . I believe the need to have low turbine inlet or backpressure and good turbine response is the way to have low to medium rev range torque (engine) without choking it .

·
Registered
25 Posts
From pics I've seen of the recent GT37R's HP series turbine its 10 bladed rather than 11 like the TO4 P trim . The blades are also taller back face to front face . It looks more like a UHP turbine than the P so may be an in between evolution .

I think theory suggests that the least number of blades and the thinner section they are , the more it will flow for a given basic size and trim . A little less innertia doesn't hurt either .

Cheers A .

1 - 20 of 22 Posts