Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
97-6speed-TT
700 Posts
I made 617rwhp on a 2 rotor Mazda RX-7. Not sure about the Supra guys.

·
95Turbo
930 Posts
Mine made 700rwhp/690rwtq @ 28psi on C16. It should have and would have been higher, but my tires were spinning on that pull after 5500 rpms. They were VERY old and worn. And about 594rwhp/498rwtq @ 19psi on 93 pump gas.

The tuner and mechanic were saying it would do somewhere close to 750rwhp at 32-35psi.

-Built motor .40 over cp/carillo/acl
-Ported head w/stock valves and BC springs & retainers
-HKS 272 cams
-GT4088R .95a/r
-4 inch exhaust
-AEM
-RPS C/C

I think i had it about as close to maxed as you could with that turbo.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Mine made 700rwhp/690rwtq @ 28psi on C16. t should have and would have been higher, but my tires were spinning on that pull after 5500 rpms. They were VERY old and worn. And about 594rwhp/498rwtq @ 16psi on 93 pump gas.

The tuner and mechanic were saying it would do somewhere close to 750rwhp at 32-35psi.

-HKS 272 cams
-GT4088R .95a/r
-4 inch exhaust
-AEM
-RPS C/C

Great number on pump gas! BTW, GT4088R is a DBB right? Can you please post your dyno graph?

thanks,

·
Supra OG
2,392 Posts
Those aren't pump gas numbers.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Those aren't pump gas numbers.
Mine made 700rwhp/690rwtq @ 28psi on C16. t should have and would have been higher, but my tires were spinning on that pull after 5500 rpms. They were VERY old and worn. And about 594rwhp/498rwtq @ 16psi on 93 pump gas.

-HKS 272 cams
-GT4088R .95a/r
-4 inch exhaust
-AEM
-RPS C/C

I still think it is kinda high on pump ( to be on the safe side ).

·
95Turbo
930 Posts
I dont have any dyno sheets. We finished dynoing around 11:30 pm and went home. Went back the next afternoon to get the sheets and they had deleted all the saved files in their computer. I was PISSED. lol

Anyways, yes the R signifies DBB with these turbos. And the A/F whether i ran at 16, 20, or 28 psi was 11.9 steady through boost. Safe? Yes. :) We still had room to go. But tires werent allowing it.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
On stock cams I have seen anywhere between 650 to 710. In my opinion this was the most fun turbo I have ever driven on a Supra.

hey Brian,

i'd like to hear a more detailed explanation of why? just the best synthesis of response and power? what are some other specifics of the setup(s) that you have driven with this turbo (ie. auto vs 6, headwork or no, pump gas vs race vs meth, etc...)?

always interests me to hear a general, blanket statement like this from someone with a lot of experience. i mean, what do most of us build these cars for anyway right? lap/trap times?... championships?... seems ez to forget that the original goal was fun.

thanks for your time bro!
craig

·
Registered
691 Posts
hey Brian,

i'd like to hear a more detailed explanation of why? just the best synthesis of response and power? what are some other specifics of the setup(s) that you have driven with this turbo (ie. auto vs 6, headwork or no, pump gas vs race vs meth, etc...)?

always interests me to hear a general, blanket statement like this from someone with a lot of experience. i mean, what do most of us build these cars for anyway right? lap/trap times?... championships?... seems ez to forget that the original goal was fun.

thanks for your time bro!
craig
IMO the 4088R is just plain fun. I guess it just comes down to the grin factor. When my car had the 4088R on it I gave a few people rides in it/ let them drive it and they seem to share my opinion (a few switched to the 40R afterwards). It is probably due to the fact that turbo spools quickly and makes good power, it is easy to drive (you dont NEED to downshift to get into boost), and you can easily modulate the power when autocrossing/road racing.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What kind of power do you guys think I could get with my setup on pump and also with meth

Stock fuel
AEM ems
full exhaust
built auto/3200 stall

·
Registered
691 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thats the thread that was a big deciding factor on the turbo choice :) . I was mainly wondering about how much hp the auto would rob

·
Registered
691 Posts
Well Ken made 592whp with pump and meth through a 6 speed and stock fuel. If you assume a 15% drivetrain loss for the 6 speed that will give you 696 crank hp. Now if you take that 696 crank hp and assume a 25% drivetrain loss for the auto that will give you 522hp.

Now, the power loss of the auto depends alot on the convertor that is used, but this should give you a "rough" idea of the power you can anticipate.

·
Over 10 years on SF....
7,892 Posts
I'm going to be figuring out how much power I can take a built 7M up to on this turbo next summer when I'm done rebuilding. Probably not quite as much as the 2JZ's but you never know.

·
TRNSFST
890 Posts

-HKS 272 cams
-GT4088R .95a/r
-4 inch exhaust
-AEM
-RPS C/C

Very nice numbers, would have loved to see this dyno graph. It's hard to believe you made 594rwhp at 16psi on pump with this turbo on a supra since 12psi more only netted 100hp more but if you did pull 594 at 16psi that's really good, just hard to believe considering the turbo size.

I have the GT4088R w/ 1.06 A/R. John Reed tuned it with my Motec and we made 660rwhp and 616rwtq @ 28psi and C16. She made 530rwhp with 18psi and pump. I couldn't ask for a better powerband, and to the OP I would definately suggest this turbo. It spools rediculously fast for the power it makes, and it makes power very early in the RPM. Just look at my dynochart I've posted below.

My setup:

Stock motor w/ HKS 264/264 cams
GT4088R 1.06 A/R
Full-Race Twinscroll manifold
4" exhaust
Motec M800
Exedy twin-plate
500 lbs taken off the car = awesomeness

Here's my dyno graph (RED LINE) and also Brian Robards car (BLUE LINE) w/ the same turbo and similar setup (hi Brian :wavey: ). This turbo spools with a T61 while getting the power of a T67. Lay it over some T67 graphs and you can compare the difference in how early this turbo makes power in the RPM. Enjoy :)

Quick thanks to Ken Henderson who referred me to John Reed for the Motec tuning, which he did an excellent job on. Thanks a lot Ken, and thanks John for tuning it so wonderfully. We'll talk again soon about the S14 project I'm sure.

Billy

·
95Turbo
930 Posts
Very nice numbers, would have loved to see this dyno graph. It's hard to believe you made 594rwhp at 16psi on pump with this turbo on a supra since 12psi more only netted 100hp more but if you did pull 594 at 16psi that's really good, just hard to believe considering the turbo size.

I have the GT4088R w/ 1.06 A/R. John Reed tuned it with my Motec and we made 660rwhp and 616rwtq @ 28psi and C16. She made 530rwhp with 18psi and pump. I couldn't ask for a better powerband, and to the OP I would definately suggest this turbo. It spools rediculously fast for the power it makes, and it makes power very early in the RPM. Just look at my dynochart I've posted below.

Billy
I just noticed my mistake.
I made the 594rwhp @ 19psi. Not 16. Wastegate boost was about 16/17 psi and it put down low 560 at that boost. I must have just typed the post quick or something.

And the car definitely made well over 700 to the wheels at anything over 28psi. But on the dyno with the tires i had at the time, they would just start spinning after 5K+rpms. So we stopped there for the night. I had 6 year old, worn michelin sports i was borrowing on the car while tunning.

But yes, this is a great turbo with a great powerband. Albiet i only got to enjoy it newly built and singled for 3 months before wrecking it. But once i got the Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials on the car, with the powerband it had, and no spinning up to about 24 psi, I never found another car that could beat me from a slow 1st/2nd gear roll up to the 120-130mph range. After that i remember needing to up the boost a bit to feel it pulling hard at those speeds. It was an amazingly quick street car.

It took me up to 24-26psi before i could pull up top on a new Z06 with a 200shot, intake and exhaust. That was a 70-150ish race (his race) not mine. Anything under 70, with him spinning like he did, i would pull real hard from the get and he'd let out.

You'll love this turbo... till you get used to it and wanna go bigger.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts