Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
2JZ NA-T
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ge and gte block are the same (minus compression, pistons ect, i know) so could i take the a built GTE shortblock and just simply bolt it to my head w/out having to replace anything else major? If i go this route I want to hold on to my NA head b/c i dont want to spend more money on an intake manifold and exhaust manifold as one is being made and the other is already on the car.... please let me know what else would need to be done,

thanks guys.

·
Registered
15 Posts
hey ravan there is no real difference in the blocks. if someone didnt tell you , you would probably not know it. expect for the two oil feed hose on the exhaust side and water inlet tube on the intake side for the oil cooler that attaches to the filter. all they do when making a ge and gte block is drill extra holes in it and put in oil squirters and lower compression piston. it easier then putting in that 6 speed lol.

·
Found E85 NOT in NJ!
5,253 Posts
:scratch: I thought people normally do the opposite....GTE head on a GE block

Leave it to Ravan17 to do the complete opposite :lol: How is that V160 rebuilding business going?

·
ส็็็็็็&
919 Posts
the water pumps between GE and GTE are different, IIRC. one housing has 8 bolts and the other has 9bolts.

Other than that and what eveyone else has mentioned your good to go, and make sure your tuned correctly of course :)

·
2JZ NA-T
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
v160 business is going, but slow, i gues not many people know about it or are ready to rebuild yet, we have one v160 that was finished waiting to be picked up, and one we shipped off a couple of months ago, so its going slowly.

and lol, the reason i was asking about that route isthat i have an unbeatable deal on a fully built GTE short block....and if i went this route i could give my block as a donor to my brothers (anthrasupkid) supra which just let go, and paired up with the 1000cc inj and bl fuel rail i have coming in with boost turned up i would be well into the 500rwhp.... then add a front facing manifold and a borg warner 71mm turbo..... can you say 700 rwhp? would be nice but i dont think i have funds right at this moment...

·
Registered
722 Posts
I run the gte block with ge head .... 943whp

·
Registered
15 Posts
hey ravan im looking for a v160 have any extras or know of where to get one and how much, also how much to rebuild it? if these trannys are so strong why do i always hear of them be rebuilt?

·
Registered
1 Posts
the water pumps between GE and GTE are different, IIRC. one housing has 8 bolts and the other has 9bolts.

Other than that and what eveyone else has mentioned your good to go, and make sure your tuned correctly of course :)
I have a question about the water pumps. So i am also going with a gte block and a ge head. My question is what water pump do i use for that swap? because the gte won’t fit. It hits the ge head’s thread stud.

·
Registered
981 Posts
GE head you have to use the GE waterpump as the waterneck is on the drivers side. you can use a 2jzge n/a waterpump, or if you are vvti you can use a 2jzge vvti n/a waterpump.

general rule of thumb on these franken setups are:
1) match waterpump to cylinder head (gte waterpump with gte head, ge waterpump with ge head).
2) match oil pump to block (gte oil pump with gte block, ge oil pump with ge block).
3) no matter what that one guy once said, don't put the gte oil pump on a ge block unless you just really like changing your main seals all the time from pushing out oil.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Awesome info as always Ali! I'm building my GE VVTi engine and was considering ordering a ported oil pump from Driftmotion. Just going to have the OEM GE one ported as I'm sure that one is for the GTE. Glad I saw this!

·
Registered
981 Posts
Yeah it is not generally a good idea, some people do it and get away with it, lots of others complain about blowing usually the front main seal over and over again, or pushing out oil on cheap turbo's.
Really one should use the one meant for the block, and monitor oil pressure to see if you actually need more... especially if you are getting it ported should be more than enough.
The GE block doesn't have the oil squirters and I think people don't realize how much extra oil pressure the gte has for basically 6 oil leaks under the pistons.

I once cracked my 3an feed line for my turbo trying to bolt something down next to it, and I was shocked at how fast that line sprayed out what seemed like a couple quarts of oil before I shut it down.
And that was just a regular GE non vvti with a factory GE oil pump and of course a turbo. I didn't have any external coolers etc... which may drop the pressure a hair depending on the kit.

Some motors you need more oil pressure etc.. but on these motors it seems like they had enough from the factory.
I am not positive if the vvti pump flows the exact same or not, I know they have an extra oil line for vvti but that is about it and shouldn't change things much, but maybe worth looking into.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts