Supra Forums banner

GTE non VVTi to VVTi conversion, Facts and myths

168K views 200 replies 94 participants last post by  Ch33toninja 
#1 · (Edited)
As some one who has added a GTE-VVTi head to an OEM US spec TT Supra, I will give you some facts and information I have learned.

Most of the items in this post refer to the GTE platform.
  • VVTi will add low end power and torque, improve gas mileage, and spool your turbo faster
  • VVTi will in no way increase or decrease your peak HP rating.
  • There is nothing to lose and everything to gain by using VVTi.
  • VVTi is NOT hard to tune
  • VVTi is not complicated
  • It came in 97+ Supras in Japan

2JZ Block FACTS

• ALL GTE motors have the same rod. (GTE-VVTi and GTE-non VVTi)
  • GE motors with non VVTi also have the same rods as the GTE version

• 97+ 2JZ motors have additional motor mount locations(can be shared with other Lexus cars)

• Blocks produced after May, 1995 have oil provisions for VVTi heads (Even US Spec) -Thanks Jeff!
    When I bought a brand new OEM Toyota shortblock it had the hole for VVTi. In this picture you can see the oil pressure adapter is removed and you can insert the VVTi oil feed.

• GTE-VVTi blocks use a 36-2 tooth crank sprocket compared to a 12 tooth non VVTi

2JZ GTE VVTi and Non head similarities and differences

• All parts from your GTE non VVTi head will bolt on to your GTE VVTi head (Except the VVTi cam/gear/valve cover)
  • This includes turbo manifold, intake manifold, throttle bod etc, exhaust cam gear, springs/retainers/ valve guides, shims/buckets etc.
  • GTE-VVTi uses wasted spark (This can be converted easily)
  • The factory GTE-VVTi intake manifold is slightly smaller than the non VVTi.
  • GTE VVTi- has DBW (Drive by wire)
  • GTE-VVTi has no idle control valve, because it is controlled by the DBW
  • GTE-VVTi has no EGR because it uses VVTi to adjust valve overlap
  • GTE-VVTi has only 1 Cam sensor in the rear

Performance parts
ALL exaust camshafts fit both VVTi and non VVTi

Converting a GTE to GTE VVTi
There are several ways to do this. Here is what I did
  • Removed factory GTE-VVTi exhaust manifold, intake manifold, factory cams, valves, retainers and springs.
  • Sent the head to the machine shop to check for warping, install fresh valve guides, valve job etc.
  • Installed the fresh GTE-VVTi head onto my TT motor (straight forward)
  • Put all my US parts back onto my new GTE-VVTi head. (Boost logic manifold, US spec intake manifold, throttle body, fuel rail, injectors, Ferrea valves, BC springs, retainers etc.
  • I re-used my HKS 264 exhaust cam and purchased a HKS VVTi 264 cam for the intake side
  • I had to purchase the front VVTi cam cover from a '98 Supra.
  • You will need a coolant hose from a '98 TT Supra
  • Hooked up the OEM oil feed line from the block to the head. Note that their are two Banjo bolts. The one on the bottom has a built in check valve. Make sure you install it in the correct location. My block is an OEM GTE block from a 97+ supra so it was all plug and play. If you have an older style block their are some creative methods out there to make it work. Some as simple as running an oil feed line to the head.
  • I repinned two wires from an old sequential VSV to control the VVTi solenoid.
  • You have to install the VVTi 36-2 crank sprocket (which is a good thing, it gives you more resolution)
  • You can fit all 6 of your GTE coils will fit the GTE VVTi head. Cylinder 1 you will need to trim some of the valve cover and bracket, but it does fit.
    http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/...8-A45A-47F5-891C-950F2588F5EA_zps1ecyyzk2.jpg
  • Re-use your original US spec harness and everything will plug back in just like the non VVTi head. With the exception of the VVTi plug we repinned using the old VSV. So no wire hacking was involved and we still maintained sequential ignition!
Since I use ProEFI, all I had to do was change the firmware for the trigger patterns and click "enable" in the software.
Re-tune the car and enjoy the better gas mileage, spool and low end power!

It's too hard to tune they said...
Theirs no parts for it they said....
You cant make as much power with VVTi they said...
All BS
My 850+whp GTE VVTi motor with OEM everything.

Cliff notes:
Bought GTE-VVTi head and installed all US parts onto it
Re-pinned a whopping 2 wires
Clicked enable on the ProEFI

Notice I used all US spec GTE non VVTi parts from my old head.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
This is the basics of converting. If I made a mistake with any of the oem parts or you have additional facts I should add please let me know.

I will post up my dyno showing VVTi on vs VVTi off soon.

I will also add more VVTi tuning tips as I think of them.

VVTi tuning:
  • Add some cam advance at idle to prevent the VVTi cam gear from rattling. 2degrees will suffice. I actually use 10degrees because it uses 15% less fuel and I still have a rock solid idle.
  • Ricer mod- you can play with the advance at idle and make it have a big loping dragster idle. I prefer Lexus quiet.
  • Factory can advance the cam 30degrees. Aftermarket ecu's can advance up to 60degrees. This is helpful for aftermarket cams
  • More advance is not always better. You will need to dyno tune it.
  • VVTi will eventually taper off in the upper RPM's. Mine is completely off by 5500rpm. (Every car is different)
  • You will need a load bearing dyno to tune the VVTi map
  • VVTi is not like VTEC. It is dynamic. So even at part throttle you will want some advance. It is NOT on/off. You have 60degrees of advance to play with.

#3 ·
Good info.

In addition to the 97+ blocks having the larger port for VVTi oil feed, I have 2 95 USDM blocks that have the bigger port. One is a GTE and the other is GE, so it's possible to have a VVTi ready block even pre 97. Of course you can also run the feed from a different source if your block has the small port.

#7 ·
Really good info. I'd like more info on the amount of degrees you can advance or retard the cam and in what increments. I've been reading you get 30 degrees in increments of 5. For example +15 +10 +5 0 -5 -10 -15

#24 ·
Great write up!!! I cant wait to build the head I got from you!!! I will be retrofitting my early block and will be glad to take any pics if needed. Bob your block was a early one as well, no?

#28 ·
Post of the year.

Ken.

Reactions: Steve Theodore
#33 ·
Beautiful!
Your thoughts?
Own a NA 94, just overhauled the engine/tans, getting ready for the GTE swap, love the idea of VVTI- Less expensive than non VVTI, maybe i will invest in the VVTI GTE , less auto trans and spend the rest on an R154? will it devalue the car in the long run? or purchase a non VVTI with auto ? $1600 vs $2800 , ( im in los angeles having a auto is great, even thought it is a garage queen per say.

cheers

#35 ·
What is the concern of going to high lift cams, +1mm valves, and the amount of intake cam adjustability now potentially causing valve-on-valve contact, or worse, valve-on-piston contact? Since these upgraded cams usually put our motors into an interference operation, don't you need to reduce the amount of retard/advance usable with vvti?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.