Supra Forums banner

121 - 140 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
so , if i dont want to do a head swap like you guys are refering too, i have a 97 na i want to just do a whole vvti gte swap , how hard is it to put a jdm vvti swap into car? what is main differences vs a non vvti gte swap on a Na?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Question,

For the guys who have swapped in their non VVTi TB and Intake manifold to these heads, does the factory TRAC casting/motor on the non VVTi TB interfere with the oil feed banjo area?
I have a non-vvti intake on mine. You can see my build thread here- http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?968722-Project-Angry-Wife/page3. As you can see I do not have the trac sensors, I've just got some delete covers I made on them. Still a decent amount of room, I think the trac tps would probably still fit. The only question would be if you'd be able to unplug the vvti with the trac tps in place. You may have to plug in the vvti, then install the upper half of the intake manifold is all.

·
Game Over
1,185 Posts
I have a non-vvti intake on mine. You can see my build thread here- http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?968722-Project-Angry-Wife/page3. As you can see I do not have the trac sensors, I've just got some delete covers I made on them. Still a decent amount of room, I think the trac tps would probably still fit. The only question would be if you'd be able to unplug the vvti with the trac tps in place. You may have to plug in the vvti, then install the upper half of the intake manifold is all.
Thank you! My non-VVT-i TB has trac delete plates, with an IAT sensor threaded into the plate facing the VVT-i solenoid, so I was wondering.

·
Registered
589 Posts
So, swapping a 94 US TT to VVT-i - sounds like the key things would be the 36-2 trigger wheel, and an ecu able to handle it. Would a regular 2jz-gte-VVT-i stock ecu be a straight swap ? I'm thinking not, because it needs the 2 extra wires to control the VVT-i solenoid ...

·
Game Over
1,185 Posts
So I have recently purchased a bare VVT-i cylinder head. Does anyone have a list of the OEM part #'s related to the head, and the service specifications for it?

·
Game Over
1,185 Posts
what parts are you looking for? the spring,valves, and EX cam are the same as non-vvti.
Will eventually be looking for Valve cover gaskets, VVT crank timing gear, VVT solenoid, banjo/gaskets/bolt, feed line. It looks like on the VVT cam cap, there are 2 tiny bolt holes on the very back of it, and the head never came with the bolts. Are the Cam seals the same as well between the two GTE as well?

·
Registered
589 Posts
For putting a VVTi head on an earlier block (94) I understand that the "normal" oil feed location for the solenoid isn't available. You have to drill/tap for that, or find another oil source.

Can you use the stock oil-pressure sensor location ? I want to put in a remote oil filter kit, and the sandwich plate will have a couple of ports available for a pressure sensor or oil cooler etc. So could move the pressure sensor there, and possibly use the stock sensor location for the solenoid feed ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Currently carrying out a full VVTi GTE conversion from a JZS147 into my S2 JDM SZ-R. This info will still be a great help, thanks heaps OP! :)

121 - 140 of 150 Posts
About this Discussion
149 Replies
81 Participants
mkivsoopratt
Supra Forums
Supra Forums is the largest online Toyota Supra MKI, MKII, MKIII, MKIV and MKV owner's club community. Discuss DIY, modifications, and upgrades.
Full Forum Listing