Supra Forums banner

141 - 150 of 150 Posts

·
2JZA70
2,531 Posts
For putting a VVTi head on an earlier block (94) I understand that the "normal" oil feed location for the solenoid isn't available. You have to drill/tap for that, or find another oil source.

Can you use the stock oil-pressure sensor location ? I want to put in a remote oil filter kit, and the sandwich plate will have a couple of ports available for a pressure sensor or oil cooler etc. So could move the pressure sensor there, and possibly use the stock sensor location for the solenoid feed ?
https://www.powerhouseracing.com/product/6655/phr-vvt-i-oil-feed-adapter-for-2jz

·
Registered
39 Posts
Would you think it's better/more efficient to purchase a used vvti motor (~$2,600) that is complete and has everything needed for the conversion from a non-vvti motor, or just swap heads and try to locate the sensors, cam gear, etc.? I'm having a hard time finding the vvti specific parts here in the U.S. A bare vvti head seems to be about $1,000.

·
Blue Thunder
3,341 Posts
Would you think it's better/more efficient to purchase a used vvti motor (~$2,600) that is complete and has everything needed for the conversion from a non-vvti motor, or just swap heads and try to locate the sensors, cam gear, etc.? I'm having a hard time finding the vvti specific parts here in the U.S. A bare vvti head seems to be about $1,000.
Cheaper to buy a complete Aristo swap. That's what I did. $2150 delivered to my door. I installed the entire swap though. Keeping my original non-VVTi motor intact, and gonna rebuild it.

B

·
Registered
28 Posts
Did my Vvti full engine swap, great results with my twin Gt28's, the issue I am having is with the powersteering.
It seems to think that it's at high speed and the solenoid on PS rack is not allowing fluid flow, the pump is fine and there is no air in the system.
It happened immediately after swap, so I would assume the solenoid is good, but I'll be testing it with low volts to see if it works.

Has anyone else solved this?
The solenoid is activated by which module, ecu or another module behind dash along with the odometer and such?
Can I bypass it?

Thanks and Cheers!

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
Are you talking about the solenoid that controls the steering effort between low speed and high speed? If you just unplug it should be fine. To solve the problem I assume you'd have to see the diagram from the GTE to VVTi harness. They could possibly be pinned differently if you didn't swap harnesses. If you have both harnesses I'd check that plug on each and see if they are any different.

Alex

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Did my Vvti full engine swap, great results with my twin Gt28's, the issue I am having is with the powersteering.
It seems to think that it's at high speed and the solenoid on PS rack is not allowing fluid flow, the pump is fine and there is no air in the system.
It happened immediately after swap, so I would assume the solenoid is good, but I'll be testing it with low volts to see if it works.

The solenoid is activated by which module, ecu or another module behind dash along with the odometer and such?
Can I bypass it?

Thanks and Cheers!

Sorry I can't be of any help but do you have a build thread? I'm looking to do the same thing (vvti/gt28).
Thanks

·
Registered
934 Posts

Can I bypass it?

Thanks and Cheers!
Can you talk more about your experience with the VVTI and GT28's? I am still debating if I want to go single on my VVTI motor or if I want to go with the upgraded twins in sequential mode, I imagine it has to be better then Non-VVTI GT28's

·
Registered
8 Posts
^^It made the xyz turbo spool faster than it did before the car had vvti. Same story has been outlined several times in this thread for any turbo that is installed. VVTI doesn't behave differently for twins or for single or for this turbo or that, it improves spool on any of them. Period, the end. It's better.

141 - 150 of 150 Posts
About this Discussion
149 Replies
81 Participants
mkivsoopratt
Supra Forums
Supra Forums is the largest online Toyota Supra MKI, MKII, MKIII, MKIV and MKV owner's club community. Discuss DIY, modifications, and upgrades.
Full Forum Listing