Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought a bpu 94 6 spd.....it has 90k miles on it and runs very good..all i am wondering is if i just plan to stay with the stock twins for a while....what guages besides a boost guage should i get so i can keep watch of the most important things on the car...just let me know whats other good guages to have when being bpu or just bpu+...i will most likely have 2 or mabe 3 guages...

thanx

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok

well i was thinkin something like iether oil press or oil temp..just so i kow truly when the oil is at a good operating tepm so that i dont damage any turboes or anything...the car has an oil temp init but it was never hooked up becasue it said u had to drill into the oil pan and idk if i want to do that....but can someone tell me the importance of the egt and the wideband o2 sensor??

ok and if there are any other suggestions on guages please let me know why theya re good and what is the importance..i wanna figure out what is the best for ym setup..

thanx
ant

·
1 ur Mom warned U about
655 Posts
I am getting a Fuel Pressure gauge soon, but I am also planning on going single in couple of months. So if you are planning on getting a single conversion done then I Fuel pressure, Wideband O2, Oil press, these are the imp/Necessary ones.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
EGT, is exhaust gas temp. It is usually an indication of how lean the car is running but can be influenced by other factors such as timeing. A WB on the other hand allows you to read the exact AF ratio and tune your car yourself. Most WBs also come with datalogging which is really handy. getting a WB instead of an EGT will also save you money since you will no longer have to tune your car on a dyno. I was an idiot and I spent $250 on an EGT gauge that I don't really use. Search if you would like to know more about which WB to get.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok

ok a wideband sounds pretty good..is it easy to tune and how is the tuning...does it tune like an s-afc knd of so i can squeeze power out of my car without going and getting an s-afc dyno tuned..also how much does it cost..does anyone have a pic of it installed or does it just look like a guage

thanx

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok

well i guess i dont have to worry about that too much..over here by NY i can find up to 94 octane and then i can get race gas at a few places

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
A wideband is only a device that reads the AF, you can't tune the WB itself. I use a VPC/AFC to tune with my WB. Basically, with the WB and datalogging you can compare RPMs to AF and boost pressure and adjust your AFC accordingly. Its the same way the dynos do it so its like having a personal dyno in the car. :)
As for the looks of the WB, each one is different. Search around here, there is plenty of info on WBs. I personnally went with the new Innovate Motorsports unit so if you have any specific questions about it after searching don't hesitate to ask.

RSA is right, an EGT and WB together will give you a general idea about want kind of timing your car is running. I think that if given the choice between the 2 everyone would take a WB over an EGT gauge.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts