Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Name is Justin,27 and live in Greenville SC.

I've owned my supra for going on 6 years now so i guess its time for me to share my story/build with the car.

since i was young i've been addicted to anything with wheels (motocross,bmx,skateboarded) until i got my license then it was neck deep into cars. ive build many cars that i could afford at the time like my honda crx, which i still own, 1998 240sx, supercharged s2k etc.

lets start off with how i got the car. I had my supercharged s2k that ive been driving for awhile and just wasnt happy with it so i decided to start shopping for my dream car...a supra.
well after a long time searching i found the supra listed on craigslist accepting trades. I gave it a shot and asked if he was interested in a trade. and BAM he said yes! I jumped in the car and drove a few hours away and ended up driving the supra home.
the car needed a ton of love that i was willing to give it.

here is the car when i first got it. yes those are 20's!!!

car is a factory 1995 supra NA/5 speed. previous owner installed an aristo gte with a ebay gt45 turbo kit. not tuned, ton of oil leaks, blown struts, rolled rear fenders with a pole..terrible job, also had a wings west front lip that looked as if Stevie Wonder cut the wings off of it.

first thing was to get rid of the wheels so i found the cheapest set of decent looking wheels i could find and a set of eibach lowering springs

then i had to ditch the ebay turbo. i had a turbonetics turbo laying around from another project of mine so i installed that for the time being.

decided to get crafty and make a homemade cooling plate out of some carbon fiber sheets i had laying around.. didnt turn out too bad.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
the car came factory with tan interior so that had to go. i found a guy a few hours away parting out his 98 supra so i picked up most of the interior.
please excuse the horrible pictures it was many years ago.

to all black

the brakes were shot so i decided to buy the ls400 brake setup

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it was then time to start on the engine. i tore it apart and fixed all the leaks, new timing belt, cam gears, put a set of 75lb injectors and a map ecu to get it tuned and made right at 540hp on 18psi.
im the guy that if i can make it instead of buying it even if it cost more to do myself i will do that lol
so i decided to throw away the ebay catch can and make one of my own.

then i had to fix the cataracts that my headlights had. so i wet sanded, recleared and turned out like a new set.
before

after

then installed a celica steering wheel, gauges, and double din cd player

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i got tired of having to baby it with the w58 so i saved awhile got picked up a v160, tt 6 speed rear end from a member on here

then i wanted to do a headlight intake. i love the way they look so i started to cut up my headlight!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
got bored with the power so decided to upgrade some.
borg warner s472, boost logic manifold, tial wastegate/bov, aem v2, 1600cc injectors gsc s2's and e85

and also did 4'' straight exhaust and trd wing
ended up making 899hp on 32ish lbs.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
forgot to add i got new wheels sometime in the middle.
picked up a set of work amkreads old school jdm wheels.
18x9.5/10.5 3 piece wheels

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i decided to build a new intercooler that was thicker and would fill up the front bumper more.

picked up a set of weld rt's and decided to take it to the track

first pass didnt go so well

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Car looks great. Where did you break at? looks like Heavens Landing.
Thanks man. That is heavens landing but it didn't break there. It broke at my local 1/8th mile track.

·
Supra Saiyajin IV
241 Posts
Awesome transformation man! Kudos on the fab work.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
almost a year ago i was driving my car home from work when i noticed my oil pressure started to fluctuate. i could hear the engine getting louder so i quickly pulled over and my oil pressure dropped to 0! I took off my bumper so i could load it on the trailer.

got it back to the shop and went ahead and yanked the engine out to find no damage to the bearings/crank. took apart the oil pump and found this

also the crank pulley had a nice crack

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
NOW LETS START THE BUILD!

ive been wanting to redo the whole car but just havent had the time or a good reason to tear the car apart. well the oil pump going out gave me that reason.
i went ahead and gutted the whole car and i went ahead and started to shave all the unnecessary holes in the engine bay. also went ahead and shaved the rear antenna and wiper.

after i got done with all i could do i sent it to my buddy for paint.

i love bright red so i got pretty much the brightest i could find which is rosso corsa red (Ferrari red)

·
Super Moderator
10,498 Posts
You've got skills, my friend. Being a Work Wheels fan, I thought I was familiar with pretty much everything the company offered, but your wheels, which look fantastic, are the first time I've run across these. Saw your paint work in another thread. Looks great. This thread will definitely have a happy ending.

Ken.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
my buddy got the car painted and cut/buffed and it looked slick as glass....until after about 2 weeks then bad news! something happened called "micro blistering" which is tiny little blisters start to covered the whole car. you could cut/buff them out and about a week later it will happen again. so after talking to a lot of people they say the only way to get rid of it and for it not to come back is to strip the car down to bare metal...which would have been prevented if we did that the first time. oh and PPG paint is not cheap!!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You've got skills, my friend. Being a Work Wheels fan, I thought I was familiar with pretty much everything the company offered, but your wheels, which look fantastic, are the first time I've run across these. Saw your paint work in another thread. Looks great. This thread will definitely have a happy ending.

Ken.
thanks man! ive never seen another set of them in person. and if you find them online they are all very narrow. i also got the works redone but i will get to that soon :)

·
Toyota Lover
1,432 Posts
Impressive build and can't wait to see how it turns out! Much props on all the hard work and also those Work wheels are awesome! Local friend had a set on his black SC300 years ago and it looked sinister... Then again, I am a Work wheels whore...

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Impressive build and can't wait to see how it turns out! Much props on all the hard work and also those Work wheels are awesome! Local friend had a set on his black SC300 years ago and it looked sinister... Then again, I am a Work wheels whore...
that funny because i think the guy i got them from bought them from a guy in Tennessee! so good chance these are his old wheels haha

·
1%er
660 Posts
wow what a set back man. thats a lot of work there to get right now. i think paint and body is the worst part of doing cars. this shit drives me nuts. good luck man.

·
JetFire
5,383 Posts
Nice work, good choice on the type of red will look great.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well since the car was down getting painted...again i decided to go ahead and work on other parts of the car.
when I purchased the wheels they had some curb rash so i decided to weld up the rash and sand them smooth before sending them off for powercoat but first i had to strip off the old paint.

i got 1 wheel almost stripped and said screw this! i sent them to a place in town that does chemical stripping and got them to removed everthing on the wheels

here is some of the curb rash

all ready

got them back from powercoat and after installing 160 bolts they are back together and looking new!

1 - 20 of 83 Posts