Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i'm hoping someone can answer my search function is down :(

my turbo just blew on my 93.5 TT and im looking to upgrade to yet another TT setup but to something not too big. i was told to look into the 16g TT setup... the problem is i cant find any info on it hehe... therefore i turn to the gurus of supraforums :D

so what i need to know is first off what parts i may need to complete this upgrade and also i need to know which online sources may sell the necessary parts!

any help is appreciated, and thanks in advance guys!

·
Super Moderator
10,373 Posts
The only Mitsu-based twin turbo kit I've ever heard of for the MK4 was the Greddy twin 18G & twin 20G kits, both of which have been discontinued for almost a decade. Whoever suggested 16G's for your MK4 had Evo's and DSM's on the brain.
Upgraded twins are a pricey proposition, and the bling factor of twins just honestly isn't worth the hassle/effort to most people especially for moderate power levels.
By 'not too big' I'm under the impression that you're not looking for huge power, but what determines 'not too big' as far as turbos are concerned is a heavily varied opinion here on SF. Some people think a 76mm single is 'not too big' whereas others think anything bigger than a 67mm is huge.

A few things to think about -
Ditching the stock twins in favor of a single is a much more common option, and there are literally dozens of available single turbo kits that could offer anything from 500whp to 1250whp and virtually everything in between, with the supporting modifications of course. TMK the only aftermarket twins available are exclusively the HKS GT2835 kit and the Blitz TT kit, neither of which are very spool-friendly especially compared to the stock twins. Custom is always an option of course, but unless you know an exceptionally skilled fabricator and have a very sound idea of what you're doing, I would strongly suggest a kit.

When picking a turbo kit, think about the power you want to make. That's the one most important variable to consider. Anything about ~500whp and under can be safely done on the stock fuel system if you have a USDM/North American market car, JDM cars have smaller injectors and can only support ~425-450whp on the stock fuel system and that's dicey at best.
So, don't forget to factor in the appropriate fuel system, ECU/piggybacks/tuning devices etc, clutch/built auto trans, FMIC, and all the other misc bits that properly round out a setup that is proper for the power you plan on making.

so... hiow much power is 'not too big'? :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea im thinkin of all the other factors hehe and thats why im hoping to find a kit that i can just throw in without needing too many extras such as fuel system upgrades and such, cuz right now im still a little tight on money seeing as how im getting the body done on the supra and im still working on my 240 :(

and i think i did forget to mention that the 16g was a custom job... i saw only ONE so far and it was the one on the suprastore.com site but they have virtually no info on the car which sucks bigtime lol...

and about too big... hmmm for now im not looking to produce anything more than about 500-550whp since like i said i dont have the money for the supporting mods but honestly... IS there such a thing as "too big" for supra owners? :p hehe eventually im looking to hit the 7-800whp mark but not for another couple of years...

in any case, thanks for the help buddy, u helped clarify a few things with ur answer :D

since we're on the subject, can anyone tell me about custom 16g's, like the mkiv on suprastore.com? thanks!!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Did you even read Wreckless's very well written post? I don't think you did. Put twin 16g's out of your mind as it is a completely custom setup. If you want to spend big money, the easiest way to do it is to make custom twin turbo manifolds and all the associated piping. The tri-turbo is also on SupraStore's web do you want one of those too?

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Did you even read Wreckless's very well written post? I don't think you did. Put twin 16g's out of your mind as it is a completely customer setup. If you want to spend big money, the easiest way to do it is to make customer twin turbo manifolds and all the associated piping. The tri-turbo is also on SupraStore's web do you want one of those too?
Seriously, there is great advice and you are not even reading it! Why are you so stuck on these 16g turbos? You said yourself you don't have money, so how could you afford a custom setup? Do what everyone is recommending and go with a proven setup.

You can do two things depending on your funds: Buy a set of stock turbos from soneone on here

or purchase a nice single turbo setup if you can afford it. (Be prepared to spend a good amount of money to do it correctly.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts