Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Nottin' like boost...
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well my car was to be picked up saturday as i sold it for 25k, today i had a couple beers in me so i let my friend drive it back, some animal jumped out in front of us on i75, he swerved but due to all this rain the roads where still wet, car hit a wall, its gone, we got out then another car hit my car at 70+ mph, now the question is what do i do? i know insurance wont want to give me 25k, and my friend was driving but only cause i didnt want to chance driving intoxicated, im in shock right now, there is nothing left

·
TH400 Club
809 Posts
Ohh my god.. I am so sorry to hear this... I hope you and your friend are not injured in any way.. I dont know what to do in your situation, but I would talk with them and figure out what it is really worth. I heard in another case that a car was totalled that the insurance company went off the market value of the car as it was a lot higher than KBB value. What insurance company do you have?? Sorry to hear this once again..

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
christian..that sucks man...im glad that you are ok though...

there are a couple of ways to go at this...simply the ain thing to do is convince the IC to go off market value..once that is accomplished you should be able to get close to the 25k you were gonna sell it for.

also do you have any emails and such from the person who had agreed to buy it for that much? it MIGHT help....

good luck with whatever happens and keep us posted...

man they are just dropping like flies in the past month :cry:

·
Hardtopper Once Again!
1,709 Posts
Sorry to hear Krystain but I am glad your doing ok. You will be able to get close to the $25k if you have the paperwork for the work done to it and show them ample documentation that the car is rare. You won't get that amount overnight but if you keep pushing for it you will eventually get it, IM me later on tonight and I will explain alittle better to you.

·
MKIV owner since 1996
2,869 Posts
yes they should go off the market value.. they just look in the local trader and whatnot and take an average of what the cars are selling for.

how was the other driver doing that hit your car? I'm sure he's going to file a lawsuit or try to come after your insurance.

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
wow that truly sucks, but #1, you guys are OK. and #2, you were getting rid of it anyway so it's not such a bad personal loss, which I guess is a good thing.

insurance will always try to lowball you on their first offer, remember they are here to make money, not pay money. you don't have to settle for ANY of their offers, I don't even believe you have to settle at all, and they WANT/NEED you to settle because the whole time you don't settle, they are scared to be sued, so just keep pushing. Be a stubborn mofo to the highest extent. Prove through all emails and conversations that this check was made prior to you wrecking the car. Show that your car was posted for sale prior to the accident.. Basically show them that it wasn't as scam to get money. Also show them what these cars go for, tell them to do a market search and see that you didn't just make an arrangement with a buddy to write you a bogus check as part of your scheme to wreck your car and get that amount from an insurance settlement. you can even get your car appraised by an independent appraiser that deals with mostly collectible vehicles. show him receipts, production numbers, etc. he'll go out and conduct market research and appraise your vehicle at a value before the loss, this weighs heavily with the insurance companies.

good luck with it, and again, glad you guys are OK.

how is the other driver?

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
They are going to lowball you, just wait it out and tell them you would like fair market value. When Jessica's insurance company did this they realised that there was no way they where getting any 6spd under 20k so they upped their offer right away. Once there was a solid offer in place for the car we gathered all of the reciepts for the mods and gave them to them at which point they paid a portion of. All in all she cam out well it just took 1-2 months before everything was settled.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
99YellowStang said:
what about the fact that i was not driving?
I was driving Jessica's car when we got hit. Her insurance paid for the vehicle no questions asked, since it was a no fault state my medical bills went to my car insurance. I am not sure how it would work in your case though since you might be stated as being "At fault" for the accident on your car, as well as the car that hit you.

·
Team 10+ Year Member
3,510 Posts
Man I am sorry to hear about this, but I am glad that no one was hurt. I'm sure it will be a long drawn out process, as you are probably well aware of also, but in the end make sure you are persistant and dont just settle, make them give you what you honestly/fairly deserve for the car.

·
Registered
564 Posts
sorry to hear about that, good thing you guys were ok. atleast you got out of the car before the other car hit you, it could have been really bad if they hit you. I'm sure you will be able to get 25k. Just have to wait it out.

·
Stock Body Supras FTW
1,222 Posts
sorry to hear about what happend christian glad you are ok, as for the car hopefully things will work out for you.

·
Sold Mine :(
1,024 Posts
Sorry to hear about your car man thats really, rough, but its good you two are okay.

Two things don't be bullied around and don't take a low ball. Go into the project KNOWNING you can walk away from insurance company if they don't give you want you need. Be able to walk away from the situation even know you don't want to b/c they will come back to you. Sure they have deeper pockets legally but fair is fair and you need to be confident and with a clear head when negoiatating with them.

Second I know someone went through a huge process of getting market value for his car. Dan mentioned it once and that if you PM him he'll send you all his research on it. I forget who it was but I am sure Dan will remember.

He's at the house right now with the Porter Cable waxing the hell out of his car so give him a bit.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
807 Posts
Glad you guys are alright. Once you have recieved the highest amount possible you might want to consider asking if you can have or buy back the damaged car. This will allow you to hopefully sell of the parts and you might actually come out ahead. Again sorry to hear your misfortune, good luck with everything!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts